Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you prefer bent or straight?

Voters
46. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bent

10 21.74%
  • Straight

13 28.26%
  • They both have their place

23 50.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bent or stright?

This is a discussion on Bent or stright? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by WyoBob I prefer the looks of a bent briar or meer. Both of my former good meers ...

Maturing Puffer Fish trenschler's Avatar

Re: Bent or stright?

Quote Originally Posted by WyoBob View Post
    I prefer the looks of a bent briar or meer. Both of my former good meers were bent and the two briars I own now are bent. I bought a few bent cobs and then accumulated a bunch of straight cobs. My 3 straight MM Diplomats (natural finish) get smoked the most.

My favorite bent is the GBD Rockroot 9438 that I'm smoking now with Old Gowrie in it as I sip Highland Park 12 year old. This pipe smokes O.G. a bit better than my cobs. The Diplomats smoke LNF better than any briar or meer I've owned and, as I smoke LNF 90% of the time, the cobs get most of the action.

I can't help myself. Here's a picture of the GBD. I love this pipe.

I do a lot of clinching in the shop and the cobs are ideal for this, especially the little 18 gram MM "Morgans".

That GBD is a beauty. I love that style pipe.

Puffer Fish with many spikes johnb's Avatar

I have more bent than straight I like them better for when I clinch

Young Puffer Fish

All bent. Even when I get a straight, I bend it a little because I sometimes get liquid from straights. Also, I only smoke outside and the wind will sometimes blow smoke into my eyes with straights but not so much with bents.

Maturing Puffer Fish JohnnyDarkside's Avatar

I like bent a lot more. I clench, and I prefer to have the bowl a little lower. Plus, I just prefer the look of bent.

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

Interesting reading... thanks and keep the input coming!
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

Both.

I started out with bent cobs, and stayed there for simplicity in swapping and replacing stems. The cobs are only slightly bent, though. I've found that pipes with larger bends tend to gurgle more, and just don't smoke as well as a straight pipe for me. I probably have equal number of bent and straight briars now, but my shopping is leaning more towards straight pipes lately.

I have both. Both of my Bjarnes are bent - I can't imagine my elephant's foot as a straight, but as a bent it balances and actually clinches VERY well.

I don't have a bent cob - both of them are straight. That makes for 3 straight and 2 bent pipes.

Clearly I need more pipes for better.....research.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

I voted bent. I probably don't have enough experience to vote but....

The only pipes I have, right now, are bent. I have a couple straights at home that I purchased off fleabay but I haven't had a chance to try them. I don't know why I like bents...they just seem to appeal to me more.

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone1 View Post
    Bent. The thought of an easy route of gunk into my mouth is not pleasant.
    You know I have had the gunk get into my mouth fortunately very few times but it has always happened on a bent pipe never Straight. However while I voted straight both my fav pipes are bent guess I should have voted for both.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    Clearly I need more pipes for better.....research.
    Clearly!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
    I voted bent. I probably don't have enough experience to vote but....
    If you have an opinion, you can vote

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone1 View Post
    Bent. The thought of an easy route of gunk into my mouth is not pleasant.
    Oddly enough, bent pipes provide more of this feature than straight ones, at least in my experience. All that curving around causes more condensation and collection in the slow areas. Some bent pipes can be harder to get a pipe cleaner through, so it can be more difficult to fix the gurgling problem if you have a recalcitrant point in the bend. (Of course, if you smoke outside, that's not a problem at all, because all you have to do is shake the crud out onto the ground, wipe the stem on your pants or shirt and you're good to go.)
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

My vote goes to bent. Though I'm a novice & hardly be able to comment expertly, but as Gregg said, I voted using my opinion
    I love the way bent pipes look. I fancy full bent but surely they would be hardest thing to handle. my current pipe is straight & very soon I'll be adding a slight bent to my collection.

Voted the "both" option. My favorite pipes are big honking freehand pipes but there are many times I like a straight.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Quote Originally Posted by mcgreggor57 View Post
    If you have an opinion, you can vote
    Thanks Gregg! Nice to know even us newbs can be accepted somewhere! lol

Really the only reason I voted bent is because that's all I've ever had. I've got a couple straights at home but they need to be cleaned up and restored before I try to smoke them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast