Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Would you be insulted if....

This is a discussion on Would you be insulted if.... within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Thanks everyone, really appreciate your point of view... As far as finding out the brand of pipe he used to ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes iggy_jet's Avatar

Re: Would you be insulted if....

Thanks everyone, really appreciate your point of view...
    As far as finding out the brand of pipe he used to smoke would be pretty difficult because it was many years ago in Russia, before the border was opened up...
    The best I can do is try to find some old photo's of him smoking, and he stoped smoking or regular basis many years ago... now he only smokes when all the kids and grandkids are over and man go outside for a smoke and a scotch.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Blue_2's Avatar

I wouldn't be either. Some of my best smokers are estates.

Here's another good site for estates http://www.pulversbriar.com/index.html

How soon is the occasion? A nice custom carved job might be nice as well.

His birthday is in March.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader dj1340's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    At least half, maybe more of my pipes are estate pipes. These are mostly high dollar hand made or one off pipes purchased for fifty cents on the dollar or less. Most were purchased as 100% restored and you could not tell on that they were not purchased new. My budget will not allow me to purchase pipes in the triple digit range.

A gift is just that, it is the thought behind the gift that counts!

Oh yea, the other half of my collection is a majority of DG pipes that are ten to twenty years old.
    I agree with fuzzy, it's the thought that counts. Estates have some history to them and some could be carved by folks
    Not doing it anymore.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

I think Estates are great!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

As someone who loves almost anything vintage...I would LOVE an estate pipe as a gift for my birthday! (it's June 17th btw...just sayin)
    I actually have a couple estates in my rather small collection. I haven't yet seen them or inspected them for smokeability but there is one in particular I am excited about coming home to!

I absolutely wouldn't mind a bit - all of my briars are estate pipes!

Since he isn't a piper....yet....he might not get the estate thing like a piper does though.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Maybe since he is not a piper by trade a couple of nice cobs and a tin of Baccy wild be even better? Estate pipes are a great spent but he might not want to restore a pipe it either. So you could be handing hi a project. I think a cob might be best a country gent and a diplomat or general, and Baccy.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

I would take all this advice with a grain of salt; of course we wouldn't be insulted-we're pipe smokers. Someone who's new to pipes, or returning to pipes after just smoking them in his youth might not understand the positive aspects of a used pipe (I refuse to use the term "estate pipe"; it has become a meaningless term). I think in the OPs situation, I'd go with a new pipe.
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I would take all this advice with a grain of salt; of course we wouldn't be insulted-we're pipe smokers. Someone who's new to pipes, or returning to pipes after just smoking them in his youth might not understand the positive aspects of a used pipe (I refuse to use the term "estate pipe"; it has become a meaningless term). I think in the OPs situation, I'd go with a new pipe.
    This.

A new pipe in box with a bag/sleeve, fresh finish and untouched bowl will be more impressive to a non-piper than a used pipe.
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Just about all the decent pipes I own are estates, refurbished. Would I gift one? No. A pipe is a personal thing & I would either know exactly what the recipient wanted via hints or I would take them in to a shop & let them choose, me paying. As much as it is a cool idea gifting a pipe I think the person has to choose one they value as it connects with them. Maybe I'm weird.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Name:  pipe.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  51.8 KB

Just got this one and will keep an eye out for a curved pipe... Old man might get two pipes

Name:  pipe.jpg
Views: 18
Size:  51.8 KB

Just got this one and will keep an eye out for a curved pipe... Old man might get two pipes
    It's a savinelli 816 deluxe

Maturing Puffer Fish JohnnyDarkside's Avatar

I think that is a superb looking piece. Hard to see the bit, but it looks like a wonderful gift that I couldn't imagine why he wouldn't enjoy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2