Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Would you be insulted if....

This is a discussion on Would you be insulted if.... within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; If someone gave you an estate pipe for your birthday, would you be insulted? The reason I am asking is: ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes iggy_jet's Avatar

Would you be insulted if....

If someone gave you an estate pipe for your birthday, would you be insulted?
    The reason I am asking is: My father in law smokes cigars with us ocasionally and talks about the days when he used to smoke a pipe in his younger days.
    His birthday is comming up and I was thinking of getting him a pipe, not sure if I should buy a new one or a vintage Savinelli or a Piterson.

So, that's the question... if you got a used pipe, would you be insulted?

Igor

PS: I do smoke a pipe as well as cigars. (not very often)
    My pipes are nothing fancy:

1. Hilson Maestro #272
    2. Meershaum claw pipe
    3. Barontini Delux #806
    4. Jobey Hand Rubbed
    5. Jobey 230

Puffer Fish with many spikes Hambone1's Avatar

Re: Would you be insulted if....

OMG, that would me awesome. Why or even how could someone be insulted?
    Puffers will push you down the slippery slope of PAD/TAD! Get out while you can!

Some estate pipes are the best bang for the buck you can get. If you are talking about a fully restored estate pipe, I think it would be an awesome gift.

If your are talking about a non-restored pipe off fleebay or other place, not so much!
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Young Fish

Myself, I would be happy with an estate. Hopefully just a little cleaning and I have a pipe I don't have to break in. Does your father in law like 'old things'? Does he like tradition/history of items? Would he think you are being cheap giving him something used? I don't know the man so I'm no help!

Young Puffer Fish

I might be a little put off by this because the pipe was something special for a total stranger. A new pipe may be a better choice. However, buying a pipe for someone else is risky because you may not know what he would like, shape, size, rusticated/smooth, etc - it's a very personal thing. Maybe you could personalize a used pipe somewhat by restoring it yourself (if you can) and telling him all about how you did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Some estate pipes are the best bang for the buck you can get. If you are talking about a fully restored estate pipe, I think it would be an awesome gift.

If your are talking about a non-restored pipe off fleebay or other place, not so much!
    Can you recommend any site that would have nice restored pipes?

Quote Originally Posted by luckybro2 View Post
    I might be a little put off by this because the pipe was something special for a total stranger. A new pipe may be a better choice. However, buying a pipe for someone else is risky because you may not know what he would like, shape, size, rusticated/smooth, etc - it's a very personal thing.
    I spoke with my mother in law and she said that he had several pipes, Straight, and curved...

It's a cliff not a slope! jheiliger's Avatar

I'm new to this side of the puff world, but... Tobacco Pipes, Smoking Pipes, Estate Pipes & Pipe Tobacco at Smoking Pipes .com

These guys have some really nice stuff on the estate side!

Joe
    I live such a great life... A beautiful family, a job I love, and a few good smokes to keep my head on straight.

Well, an estate pipe could be a nice gift. just be sure to select one with minimal impact of earlier usage wiz: burn on rim, too many teeth marks & so. I guess the ol' man will be happy to have something he wished to buy when he was younger. check with the family, you may even get a brand name or a specific pipe model to search for.

Full grown Puffer Fish Blue Raccoon's Avatar

I would go new.. unless he's really into pipes he may not understand getting an estate (used) pipe. might want to see if your MIL could get a pic with her phone for you or at least get the names from the shanks. Would help point you in the right direction. A nice Sav, Pete or Stan.. new in the box with sock and paperwork would work. Throw in a pipe tool, a tin of tobacco and some pipe cleaners and have your pipe ready to go so you can share his first smoke.

At least half, maybe more of my pipes are estate pipes. These are mostly high dollar hand made or one off pipes purchased for fifty cents on the dollar or less. Most were purchased as 100% restored and you could not tell on that they were not purchased new. My budget will not allow me to purchase pipes in the triple digit range.

A gift is just that, it is the thought behind the gift that counts!

Oh yea, the other half of my collection is a majority of DG pipes that are ten to twenty years old.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

First, a fully restored estate pipe like one would find at smokingpipes will be almost like a new pipe. You can even find nice unsmoked estate pipes on ebay, but the better brands can get a little pricey.

Second, Home.

Third, get him a Family-era (pre 1976) Sasieni Four Dot!

Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Chest Beating Pack Leader [OT] Loki's Avatar

I wouldn't be, most of my pipes are estate pipes. I'd be ecstatic if it was smokeable

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Happy happy!
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Full grown Puffer Fish Mason16Filz's Avatar

Nah i like estate pipes cuz of their character, my few pipes were all my grandpa's pipes so they hold pretty close to home for me!!
    #KL2154

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast