Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

working on my plateaux briar from FWTX SPS

This is a discussion on working on my plateaux briar from FWTX SPS within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Thanks again Ken this has been lot's of fun. I have been toying with my new block till I got ...

working on my plateaux briar from FWTX SPS

Thanks again Ken this has been lot's of fun. I have been toying with my new block till I got my new bit's in the mail.

no more toying around these bit's took off a great amount of wood and I did a ruff sanding here is what I started with.

and here is where I am at

now on to a lot of hand sanding, the hump around the pipe will be a lot smaller just a little curve and then I still need to get some stuff to finish with.
    more pips soon

Re: working on my plateaux briar from FWTX SPS

Very cool, can't wait to see more pics.

That pipe is going to be awesome! I love how it is shaping up. The curves look very naturally flowing, and i bet it sits nicely in the hand!

I'd love to know where you bought those bits? They look very nice and I need a good set like that!

there model # is RA8112 I got mine here mostly because they are in pa and was faster shipping the price with free shipping was not that bad
    amazon has them for 9.81 but got to buy 25 for free shipping not bad if your looking at other stuff too

10pc Alloy Steel Wood Rasp Burr Set Fits Dremel RA8112 | eBay

Quote Originally Posted by Longer ash View Post
    there model # is RA8112 I got mine here mostly because they are in pa and was faster shipping the price with free shipping was not that bad
    amazon has them for 9.81 but got to buy 25 for free shipping not bad if your looking at other stuff too

10pc Alloy Steel Wood Rasp Burr Set Fits Dremel RA8112 | eBay
    I have an Amazon Prime account, so free shipping. I just placed my order. Thanks, Jason!

Is there a wood similar to briar that I could play with to get a feel for the carving process? I hate to ruin a perfectly good chunk of wood that someone else, who knew what they were doing, could use.
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Beautiful lines. I can't wait to see the finished product. Great job!

Try styrofoam

Quote Originally Posted by szyzk View Post
    Is there a wood similar to briar that I could play with to get a feel for the carving process? I hate to ruin a perfectly good chunk of wood that someone else, who knew what they were doing, could use.
    Well, if you want something similar to Briar, you need a wood that is very dense. Apple or Olive are close to briar in that respect, but probably just as expensive. You'd probably be better off just giving Briar a shot.

That, or just get a piece of pine (soft and inexpensive) to practice carving in general...

Quote Originally Posted by scottw View Post
    Try styrofoam
    That's fine and dandy until I put a drill to wood and find that it's a completely different density.

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    Well, if you want something similar to Briar, you need a wood that is very dense. Apple or Olive are close to briar in that respect, but probably just as expensive. You'd probably be better off just giving Briar a shot.

That, or just get a piece of pine (soft and inexpensive) to practice carving in general...
    Exactly the advice I was looking for. Apple wood I could do - lots of that around here, and I can get it for free. Thanks, Dan! I'd rather go into a nice piece of briar with an idea of how the carving/sanding/drilling feels.
    Never trust anyone over 30.

just finished 220 grit on to 400 soon

Nice - don't forget to post up any screw-ups ....err.....teachable moments that arise so that I can learn from them!
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    Nice - don't forget to post up any screw-ups ....err.....teachable moments that arise so that I can learn from them!
    Who do you think your are kidding, Brian? You just want to see blood and scuffed up knuckles!! About the only thing I feel safe (barely) is a steak once in awhile.

That is going to be a work of art pipe!
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

Twerking ain't for Smurfs Packerjh's Avatar

Ok...stupid question here...does/did that come pre-drilled for the bowl/shank or will you do that too?
    Just one little Smurf against the world....I feel sorry for you World! BOOM, suckas!

it came pre drilled

I am going for a light finish that brings out the grain on the sides and bottom but not sure about the top more research needs to be done

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast