Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Softy bits

This is a discussion on Softy bits within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by WyoBob I buy my cob replacement stems for $.50 from the factory, FWIW. I have them on ...

Maturing Puffer Fish JohnnyDarkside's Avatar

Re: Softy bits

Quote Originally Posted by WyoBob View Post
    I buy my cob replacement stems for $.50 from the factory, FWIW. I have them on hand in case I ever wear one out or to put on a used cob I give away or sell.

I tried the softy bits and they were too "spongy" for me so I used heat shrink on a few of my non-cob stems. On my GBD, I'm experimenting with good ol' electrical tape which is working even better than heat shrink, so far.

Speaking of the GBD, it's a replacement for the identical pipe I bought from Cliff's Smoke Shop in Lincoln around 1967. I destroyed the pipe in the early 70's by running over it with a front end loader. After 2 1/2 years of searching on ebay, I finally found another just like it a few months ago!
    Never thought about going straight to the company. Thanks for the idea. Looks like it's $6 S&H, which is kind of steep, but if you're buying 15+ bits that *should* last you a long time, it's worth the savings.

Funny, I actually bought my first piece from Cliffs a few months ago. Nice guy, and it's close to where I work.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyDarkside View Post
    Never thought about going straight to the company. Thanks for the idea. Looks like it's $6 S&H, which is kind of steep, but if you're buying 15+ bits that *should* last you a long time, it's worth the savings.

Funny, I actually bought my first piece from Cliffs a few months ago. Nice guy, and it's close to where I work.
    Probably a different guy since it's been 46 years since I did business with them

Aristocob has MM stems for 50 cents. Mars has stems for 75 cents and very good prices on cobs. mars cigars & pipes - Corncob

I usually get the stems when I'm ordering more cobs and I liked dealing with MM. I was able to buy natural finished Diplomats via the factory. ASFAIK, these were never listed on their website. I also got several "Morgans" which were prototypes that had a natural finish. The natural's smoke better for me than the plaster finished pipes. The Missouri Prides are naturals and good smokers, as well.

I have yet to replace a stem due to breakage or chewing through a stem.
    WyoBob

Wow. I have to admit, I've never even got a tooth mark on a normal stem, but MM stems I've actually chewed through a couple of times.

Which reminds me, if you try the bits and like 'em, get more; they don't last forever!
    ********.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2