Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Pipe style vs price.

This is a discussion on Pipe style vs price. within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Why are straight pipes so much cheaper then bent pipes? Is it because they are less popular.......

Puffer Fish with some spikes iggy_jet's Avatar

Pipe style vs price.

Why are straight pipes so much cheaper then bent pipes?
    Is it because they are less popular....

Re: Pipe style vs price.

I've seen both in varying price ranges but I am no expert

Chest Beating Pack Leader [OT] Loki's Avatar

i'd assume because it takes less work to make a straight vs a bent

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

I am a noob at pipes but i always thought because straight pipes are much easier to drill than bent ones.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

I've never noticed a difference, at least in the pipes I look at. A rusticated Cavicchi straight is the same price as a rusticated Cavichhi bent...
    ********.com

Are you comparing the same pipe brands, or are you noticing all the straight Grabows and Medicos that are cheaper than something like a bent Peterson?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Brinson's Avatar

The low-end pipes tend to be straight is all. Grabow, Kaywoodie, Medico, etc.

Puffer Fish with some spikes iggy_jet's Avatar

I was actually looking at Savinelli's and Petersons..and for most part a straight pipe would be cheaper then a curved one.
    Granted I don't know what make a pipe a High end Pipe... I assume all of the components that can be replaced (stem) unless they are coted in gold or silver all cost the same. So what's left? A piece of briar and the fit and finish... Or am I wrong????

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Max_Power's Avatar

Even Savs & Petersons seem to be similar in price in price regardless of the shape if they are part of the same line; i.e. peterson aran, peterson shannon, savinelli oscar, sav tundra, etc.
    That which is falling, should also be pushed

The Cheese stands alone Commander Quan's Avatar

From most vendors pipes that are in the same line are priced the same whether they are straight or bent, with some variance depending on if the pipe is smooth vs a carved or blasted finish. Peterson Donegal Rocky or Savinelli Baronet Bruyere for instance are priced the same throughout the line at Smoking Pipes.
    Savinelli Pipes at Smoking Pipes .com
    Peterson Pipes at Smoking Pipes .com

And these two from Pipes and Cigars
    Savinelli Roma Pipes
    Peterson Kinsale Pipes
    The last showing a price difference between smooth and rusticated finishes.

Different lines from the same maker are priced differently due to any number of factors, including specific shapes to only that line, grain pattern, finish, stain, banding, etc.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!