Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Save me from the bite!

This is a discussion on Save me from the bite! within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Boy was my understanding of tongue bite completely wrong when I was told about it by a local tobacconist...From my ...

Save me from the bite!

Boy was my understanding of tongue bite completely wrong when I was told about it by a local tobacconist...From my past understanding, I had always thought that tongue bite was simply getting your tongue scalded by really hot tobacco because of smoking too fast. I had later proved myself wrong, when smoking a bowl of Dan Tobacco's Blue Note for the first time (yesterday). I had unintentionally smoked too much, too fast, and felt my tongue sting like never before from the heat. I immediately set the bowl down to let cool in fear of cracking my briar pipe. After a few minutes, my tongue felt better, and the bowl was cool enough to smoke, so I properly puffed through the rest of my bowl.

Today...I packed another bowl of Blue Note, but to my surprise, it tasted incredibly...dull. At first, I thought I did something wrong with storing the tobacco, or something or another, but I finally realized that it was the tongue bite from the previous day. At first, I still dismissed it as nothing more than a scalded tongue, similar to sipping hot coffee/tea too fast. However, later in the day (around early-evening) I noticed that the pain from the tongue bite was gone, but everything still tasted bland, so I decided to check my tongue out in the mirror...HOLY HELL there was a fine white layer of gritty...stuff on the tip of my tongue. I now realize that tongue bite is far more serious than I had originally thought it was...it must have to do with something other than the heat of the smoke alone.

Anyways, anyone have any ideas how to fix this problem, or what exactly tongue bite is? I'm eager to taste the sweet fruity-bourbonness of Blue Note again, although the smell alone had me going for the past few hours.

Full grown Puffer Fish Mason16Filz's Avatar

Re: Save me from the bite!

Just slow down and that should keep the bite down and the heat down on the pipe.

To my understanding slowing down and making sure the tobacco isnt too moist are the only things that slow down/stop tongue bite.
    #KL2154

Puffer Fish with some spikes Machurtado's Avatar

Some things I've read say to eat or drink something acidic like orange juice to help get you back. But take it slow and dry it out a bit more like Mason said.
    "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."Ben Frankin

Tobacco smoke is alkaline. Add a little heat and you get a chemical burn. When you smoke, drink a carbonated beverage (carbonic acid), coffee, a citrus drink, or something else acidic. In addition, pay attention to where the smoke is going and make an attempt to keep the surfaces of the mouth/tongue from being too close to the "nozzle". Aim the smoke stream in various directions during your smoke, so that one place in your mouth doesn't take all the heat, as it were.

I've never used it, but I am given to understand that Biotene mouthwash helps in emergency situations, too.
    Last edited by freestoke; 01-12-2013 at 12:01 AM.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

It may have nothing to do with your tongue. Don't forget how much your sense of taste actually comes from the nose/sinuses. You're not really tasting tobacco so much as you're smelling it, and if your sense of smell is a little off on a particular day then tobacco won't "taste" like much.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    I've never used it, but I am given to understand that Biotene mouthwash helps in emergency situations, too.
    Yep, I use it every night whether I have any bite or not. It works wonders! If you can't find it at your grocery store, try Walgreens or CVS.