Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

What's the most expensive pipe that you own?

This is a discussion on What's the most expensive pipe that you own? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by TTecheTTe Hold your socks, I have two: $9.99 Missouri Meershaum Diplomat Fifth Avenue Bent and, wait for ...

Re: What's the most expensive pipe that you own?

Quote Originally Posted by TTecheTTe View Post
    Hold your socks, I have two:
    $9.99 Missouri Meershaum Diplomat Fifth Avenue Bent

and, wait for it...
    $9.99 Missouri Meershaum Diplomat Apple Bent

Oh, plus shipping!

These fine HTF puppies deserved to have their names spelled out in their entirety.........
    The shipping's a killer on an expensive pipe. Insurance and whatnot...plus, you have to watch out about drawing that much out of your account all at once without having to fill out the bank disclosure forms.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

I have a Dr. Grabow that was my Grand Father's, then my Father's. As far as I am concerned, it is priceless.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

The Cheese stands alone Commander Quan's Avatar

I have a Tinskey that I paid $185 for and it's currently missing so I'm a little bitter about that.

I have about 5 pipes that were in the $140-$165 range
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!

I've been rethinking this a bit. It's seems to me I paid $35 for the Sasieni Mayfair, which was WAY too much at the time, 1973-ish -- but I liked the pipe a lot and one didn't go scouting around on the web to find a better deal back then. That would work out to something like $141 these days. So, I'm changing my answer: the Sasieni Mayfair.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Hambone1's Avatar

Peterson bent Bulldog silver spigot fish tail red, $185
    Puffers will push you down the slippery slope of PAD/TAD! Get out while you can!

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    The shipping's a killer on an expensive pipe. Insurance and whatnot...plus, you have to watch out about drawing that much out of your account all at once without having to fill out the bank disclosure forms.
    Yeah, really had me thinking hard twice, for each, as S/H/I was blowing my budget. Really did fear that alert to the IRS, and double-checked w/the bank first. The work, and STRESS, of PAD $$$$ HTF is overwhelming and my next pipe will be cheap, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    I've been rethinking this a bit. It's seems to me I paid $35 for the Sasieni Mayfair, which was WAY too much at the time, 1973-ish -- but I liked the pipe a lot and one didn't go scouting around on the web to find a better deal back then. That would work out to something like $141 these days. So, I'm changing my answer: the Sasieni Mayfair.
    Well, if we account for inflation, I have to change my answer as well. I paid $75 for a Pioneer calabash with a meer bowl in '76.
    ********.com

I have a couple of Ben Wades that are over 200.00 I have a few HWiebe pipes that are worth more then that.
    Moose is my name and cigars are my thing!

Maturing Puffer Fish JohnnyDarkside's Avatar

Maybe if it came with a busty Swiss miss to pack and light for me, I might consider that. It is a beaut, though. Only have a couple briars so far, and a Leonessa half-bent billiard for about $45 and my Baraccini Tulip for about $55. Not a big spender am I.

I think I've never spent more than about 100 Dollars on a single estate pipe. I would say that some of the pipes are worth multiples of that - I've seen similar ones go for those prices. I love a bargain, me.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

A little note on the pipe at the origin of this thread...

We simply don't know what this pipe is worth. We only know what the owner wants to be paid for it, no arguments. There are 17 offers on the pipe presently, none of which are close enough to the owner's true valuation for him to bite. We will only know what the market values this pipe at when it sells.

We've all seen, I'm sure, pipes on eBay where we've said "That's ridiculous. This pipe is worth a fraction of what this guy's asking." For all I personally know, this Nordh may be in the same category. I don't have any connection to pipes in this price range so I can't comment on what similar have "gone" for.

Is this or any pipe worth that much? Only in terms of collectibility. The superb grain on this pipe won't matter a jot to it as a smoking tool. The reputation of the carver similarly. I would doubt that this will ever become an issue in any case. It's now very unlikely (sadly) that this pipe will ever be smoked. It might be a terrible, "worthless" pipe...
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Is this or any pipe worth that much? Only in terms of collectibility. The superb grain on this pipe won't matter a jot to it as a smoking tool. The reputation of the carver similarly. I would doubt that this will ever become an issue in any case. It's now very unlikely (sadly) that this pipe will ever be smoked. It might be a terrible, "worthless" pipe...
    Point, point, counterpoint, Robert, you ignorant snuffslut. As to the grain? Yeah, nice grain, but I've seen as good on pipes a hundredth the asking price. The grain on my Savinelli 120 Anni isn't all THAT bad, and it only cost $125.

And believe it or not, I used to own this Comoy's Blue Riband, but I decided to sell it and buy a few other pipes to replace it. Looked like pretty nice grain to me, and for a lot less than $20K.

I mean...how good can the grain be? A hole in one is a hole in one, no matter who hit the shot, ya know? Now if it was Picasso's own pipe that he made in his studio, you'd have something. (Wow, he painted a lot of pipes! )

To me, no pipe is worth that much money. I'm a smoker first, a collector second. My family and I live quite comfortably, but I could never spend that kinda money on something like that. That's more than I paid for my car! Most of my pipes are estates, the others are relatively inexpensive. I totally get the collector side of the pipe hobby, but my collectible pipes are all daily smokers, and they're all inexpensive pipes.

Now....is that pipe worth $20k? Not to me. Maybe to someone. It is a Bo Nordh - fantastic pipe maker (from what I've heard), and he's dead - so there will never be another one. That pipe doesn't really fit my style, but it fits someone's. It looks to be in pristine condition, and has some of the most gorgeous grain I've ever seen.

I'm having déjà vu. Has this pipe been on eBay before? I feel like I've had this exact same conversation before.

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    I fguess that will always be a limiting factor for me; I figure I can't afford to spend more than $10 on a pipe I'm not going to smoke...
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    To me, no pipe is worth that much money...It is a Bo Nordh - fantastic pipe maker (from what I've heard), and he's dead - so there will never be another one.
    That could be said about any number of great pipe makers. That's what I don't get about this pipe: it has no distinguishing extra-pipe world features. The pipe is attractive, no doubt, and equally without question well made, but so what? Who the hell ever heard of Nordh (I never really noticed his name before now), except pipe smokers? To command a price tag like that, it seems to me it would require an outside factor, like the connection to the Duke of Windsor for that Dunhill I saw. It needs something to distinguish it from the scads of equally beautiful $4000 pipes, otherwise it's merely another very nice expensive pipe with a 500% markup for no apparent reason.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast