Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

One Shot in America to buy bulk. Need some suggestions

This is a discussion on One Shot in America to buy bulk. Need some suggestions within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Where are you going to be staying in the US?...

Full grown Puffer Fish

Re: One Shot in America to buy bulk. Need some suggestions

Where are you going to be staying in the US?

It's likely I'll fly in to either Dallas or Houston, but then be just north of Houston for the duration (5-7 days)

Quote Originally Posted by rogermugs View Post
    It's likely I'll fly in to either Dallas or Houston, but then be just north of Houston for the duration (5-7 days)
    You wouldn't want to try to get it back to Canada, so either you'll have to rent a gun or maybe borrow one from one of BOTLs down there for your stay. When in Rome, and all that. Don't want to look like a typical tourist.

Stories from the briar patch
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    ...rent a gun or maybe borrow one from one of BOTLs down there for your stay. When in Rome, and all that. Don't want to look like a typical tourist.

Stories from the briar patch
    My baker's dozen and I may just take offence at that!
    He's not a "real tourist," anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by TTecheTTe View Post
    My baker's dozen and I may just take offence at that!
    He's not a "real tourist," anyway.
    Speaking of tourists and Texas, have you heard my "a whole nother country" rant? The Texas tourist bureau, whatever it's called, evidently hired people from New Jersey or possibly Japan to do the state's tourism commercials some time back. "It's a whole other country!" No it's not. It's a whole nother country. (That's right, grammar fans, no apostrophe. ) It's an incidence of tmesis, a standard linguistic phenomenon, in case you want to find more examples. Basically, "a whole nother country" is correct English, whereas "a whole other country" is something that would pop into the mind of a somebody who speaks Texan as a second language, while attempting a Texas accent. My whole family is from Texas. I speak fluent Texan, and if people in Texas have taken to using "whole other country", it's because of that influx of people from New York City, moving down there to escape state taxes who have sullied the dialect.

Quote Originally Posted by lestrout View Post
    Roger - Altadis #507 Virginia SLices might be close enough to the Astley 109.

hp
    les
    These sounded so good I decided to pick some up myself, as I only have a couple of straight Va and they are bright. However, @rogermugs , I was only able to find tins so, if you locate a US source that sells bulk let me know.
    Last edited by TTecheTTe; 02-20-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Speaking of tourists and Texas, have you heard my "a whole nother country" rant? The Texas tourist bureau, whatever it's called, evidently hired people from New Jersey or possibly Japan to do the state's tourism commercials some time back. "It's a whole other country!" No it's not. It's a whole nother country...and if people in Texas have taken to using "whole other country", it's because of that influx of people from New York City, moving down there to escape state taxes who have sullied the dialect.
    As a nother & a marketing pro, don't get me started! Thx for ranting for my benefit!

Seriously, those dang fureners! I even married one of the worst kind: East Flatbush Brooklyn (no, he's not, this was way back in the day when it was still Jewish).

Thanks. Checked again (to determine why I didn't find it the first time) and I only get it if I search for Altadis Virginia Slices.

So as I mentioned before I got a decent shipment a couple of weeks ago from the states, and now I go home in April, so I'll be buying soon.... Of what I got here are my impressions:

Prince Albert:
    Couldn't understand all the fuss at first, but this has grown on me immensely... partially thanks to freestroke's PMing me his ode to the stuff... I cant help but want it to start off most mornings.

Carter Hall and Sir Walter Raleigh:
    Seem like PA with a bit of unnecessary extra... still fine, but I find I prefer PA at least thus far

PS navy deluxe flake

This is fantastic. probably going to be my go-to virginia/vaper

PS bullseye flake

This tastes like cigarette smoke. I don't get it. Part of what I love about virginias is the way I want to rub my tongue over my teeth the rest of the day and re-enjoy the flavors left in my mouth... but this makes me want to use mouthwash desperately... don't understand at all how this is smokingpipes.com top seller.

epiphany

this is great for an english. every bit as good (IMO) as squadron leader... making it one of two of my favorite english blends.

That said, when I go home, at this point my plan is to purchase the following (and I'm curious for your take on these):

Boswell's sweet and mild - I don't love aromatics, but my friend has given me this a few times and I find I love how simple it is, and want to work it in to the rotation occasionally. 8oz

Newminster's Danish Black - I've only had a few black cavendish's but this is stinking fantastic... I can't imagine not having a good bit on hand. I also love mixing it with other things 8oz

Prince Albert in a Can - I've had the sleeve... it's time to graduate. I think it comes in 14oz

PS Navy Deluxe Flake - 4 more oz.

Frog Morton - Single tin. I haven't had this, but so where there is so much smoke there must be fire.

I could get more epiphany, but I can buy Squadron leader readily here, and as much as I love my english blends, I smoke them less than some of the others for whatever reason....

Any further comments before I'm stuck with my decision for a very long time?

Prince Albert:
    Couldn't understand all the fuss at first, but this has grown on me immensely... partially thanks to freestroke's PMing me his ode to the stuff... I cant help but want it to start off most mornings.
    Think I'll join you this morning, Bob!

PS bullseye flake

This tastes like cigarette smoke. I don't get it. Part of what I love about virginias is the way I want to rub my tongue over my teeth the rest of the day and re-enjoy the flavors left in my mouth... but this makes me want to use mouthwash desperately... don't understand at all how this is smokingpipes.com top seller.
    And the winner of my PS Flake poll. Inexplicable.

Might want to get something with at a little punch to it, say Kendal's Kentucky or Dark Birdseye. These are good on their own as plain (very plain) smokes, but also have the virtue of mixability, since they have little beyond straight tobacco flavor themselves. They can be flavored with a pinch of an aromatic to provide a smoke with a pleasant room note and background taste and still give a nicotine boost. (Neither of these is debilitatingly strong, just sturdy.)

Anyhow, bon voyage!

Looks like you've got it pretty much covered. My tastes in pipe tobacco are very similar to yours, although I don't care much for OTC except maybe occasionally. Honestly though, if you haven't given Stokkebye's Proper English or Luxury English a shot, they're both VERY good!

Puffer Fish with some spikes Variables's Avatar

Frog Morton - Single tin. I haven't had this, but so where there is so much smoke there must be fire.
    I would not complain if all I had to smoke for the rest of my life was Frog Morton. A very simple, straightforward blend that I never tire of. It looks like you are only looking for bulk, but you might want to look at some GL Pease blends? Haddo's Delight and Union Square come to mind.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2