Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

One Shot in America to buy bulk. Need some suggestions

This is a discussion on One Shot in America to buy bulk. Need some suggestions within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hi All, I've mentioned before that I live overseas. Well I just found out I'll be in America for five ...

One Shot in America to buy bulk. Need some suggestions

Hi All,
    I've mentioned before that I live overseas. Well I just found out I'll be in America for five days around April. I've been overseas for the past several years, and in the last year (when i've really taken up smoking again) I've been buying mostly tins available over here. But this habit is expensive when I don't buy in bulk.

The preferred means would be to buy a bunch of small samples of bulk tobaccos to find out what I like and then buy a massive amount of that to take back, unfortunately I wont be in America long enough to pull that off. So I will be leaning heavily on your suggestions.

I would love to buy 3 pounds or so of two or three things I can bank on liking.

I'm a fan of MacBaren mixture flake, but the tongue bite is a bit much for me. I'm a pansy when it comes to tongue bite (yes, I've tried a bunch of things, and i can manage it a bit, but would prefer things that smoke very cooly).

I've found I like english blends because they tend to bite less than normal, so I may buy something like Boswell's Light or Mid english.

But my absolute favorite flavor is virginia's. Robert' McConnell's Red Virginia tastes great, but is an inferno in my mouth.

The best thing I have ever smoked is Astley's 109. I haven't tried the 44 but plan to soon.

Is there anything comparable to Astley's 109 that I could buy in bulk? Is there a place I could buy Astley's in bulk online? (I go home to Texas so buying online to avoid the crazy taxes is nice).

Anyhow. Whatever suggestions you have I would love. Is there a bulk virginia somewhere that tastes great and is as mild as Asleys 109? That would be my dream... But I'm open to other suggestions, preferring very cool smokes with lots of flavor, and very cool smokes in general. I abhor aromatics (they coat my tongue and make crazy, even though that's all I smoked 10 years ago).

This is my one shot to have stuff ordered and waiting at the house for me to pick up and take back. So your suggestions will be weighted greatly and greatly apprecaited.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Re: One Shot in America to buy bulk. Need some suggestions

Not bulk but MacBaren Old Dark Fired is a great value in tinned tobacco.

I haven't had Astley's 109, so I'm no help there. However based on your loathing of tongue bite and appreciation of English blends, I'm going to guess you'd really like C&D Epiphany as a light English, or maybe Billy Budd if you need more Latakia. Both are a staple in my cellar and are available in bulk from most online places. For bulk Virginia's, I really like McClelland 5100 Red Cake and H&H Louisiana Red (VaPer).

If you'd like to try a sample of those, just PM an address or PO box and I'll be happy to send it.

Astley's is made by Kolhase & Kopp in Germany, so you're heading the wrong way for bulk from them, even if they have it. Haven't tried 109 just yet, but both 44 and 55 have made the cut for my cellar, so I'll be surprised if I don't like it. Absolutely no help, eh?
    ********.com

the wrong way??? you're clearly very confused about where I live.

Your going to be paying alot $$$ when you go throw customs when you get home mate

I'm counting on not being bothered, I seldom am. But if I'm stopped I'll pay what it costs... I'd rather pay the customs fee than buy the tobacco locally where the import fee is bad AND people are making money being the middle man.

Still interested in more extremely-cool smoking Va Bulk suggestions....

You have a lot of time to decide on how to deal with this, which is good. (You're thinking of ordering it beforehand and picking it up somewhere, correct?)

I'd be picking up a tub of PA, which is really not at all what you had in mind. You might like this, though:

Gawith, Hoggarth & Co. - Scotch Flake pipe tobacco reviews

And failing to find Full Virginia Flake, this one is good too: Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake Bulk (by the ounce)
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

I would suggest a 24oz (1.5lb) box of both Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake and Luxury Twist Flake. Well packaged for suitcase storage, reasonably easily available, both awesome blends. For a third suggestion, Rattrays Hal O the Wynd is available in 1lb bags, but may be hard to locate in-stock.
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --
    Old age isn't too bad, when you consider the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by RJpuffs View Post
    I would suggest a 24oz (1.5lb) box of both Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake and Luxury Twist Flake. Well packaged for suitcase storage, reasonably easily available, both awesome blends. For a third suggestion, Rattrays Hal O the Wynd is available in 1lb bags, but may be hard to locate in-stock.
    I'd would wonder about the Luxury Twist Flake, since you are looking for no-bite tobaccos. LTF can be hard to manage, at least in my experience. I may have a reaction to the topping, however. Well -- I DO have a reaction to the topping, but it still seems a bit of a tongue biter, even so. Good smokes all though, RJ.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Bob @rogermugs , I'm smoking a layer cake of two of the bulk Va blends that I'm sending: Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Bullseye Flake and C&D Old Joe Kranz (mostly Burley).

Within the next week or two I will be ordering a number of straight baccys, including 3/4 various Virginias, and can also order some of the straight Va that you desire if you advise me of your preference.

Bullseye has no bite whatsoever, even smoking it hot ROTT. I smoked two bowls straight with 2 coins, then two more as the layer cake. This and SG 1792 Flake are the only remotely aromatic baccys that I smoke.
    Last edited by TTecheTTe; 02-15-2013 at 04:21 PM.

Full grown Puffer Fish Blue Raccoon's Avatar

Boswells Northwoods

Quote Originally Posted by rogermugs View Post
    the wrong way??? you're clearly very confused about where I live.
    Well, if you're NOT in the U.S., and you're heading for the U.S., yeah, you're going the wrong way.
    ********.com

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Roger - Altadis #507 Virginia SLices might be close enough to the Astley 109.

hp
    les

Quote Originally Posted by lestrout View Post
    Roger - Altadis #507 Virginia SLices might be close enough to the Astley 109.

hp
    les
    The descriptions of read of this look dead on. I did buy some stokkebye navy as per previous suggestions but this looks like I might be the ticket. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast