Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What do you do while you pipe?

This is a discussion on What do you do while you pipe? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by logically Bob, that's interesting you can smoke at work. I would love to smoke at work! But ...

Re: What do you do while you pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by logically View Post
    Bob, that's interesting you can smoke at work. I would love to smoke at work! But here in the states they haven't let people smoke inside office buildings since my dad's days of working.
    I'm not exactly in an "office" building.... at work... but if I were I would probably be allowed to smoke there too... it is nice. I'm not going to lie.

Curmudgeon in training. jdhollyfield's Avatar

Surf the web, listen to music and play with my beard. For some reason I mess with my beard most when there is a pipe involved.

Full grown Puffer Fish burritosdaily's Avatar

The vast majority of the time I smoke my pipe I am working. I have a 'home office' which is separated from the house. So I can enjoy my pipe while researching, writing, reading, etc. It is a pretty great setup.

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by burritosdaily View Post
    The vast majority of the time I smoke my pipe I am working. I have a 'home office' which is separated from the house. So I can enjoy my pipe while researching, writing, reading, etc. It is a pretty great setup.
    I am extraordinarily jealous! I have a smoking room, but it is basically a Florida room and does not afford me the presence of my library or all my electronic accouterments. Occasionally I take my laptop with me to smoke, but it is really not a productive space.

One thing I wish I could do with a pipe in my mouth is play guitar. I must clench right (otherwise the pipe hits the fingerboard), but I feel more comfortable for a "long clench" on the left. For another, I play "nice" guitars, ie, at the low end of pricey. I don't want hot ashes dropping on them and I have a tendency at some point to lose my presence of mind and breath through the stem, with ashes everywhere. I sometimes play a few notes with the pipe in my mouth, figuring out something rather than playing a piece, but in general I just have to set it down and relight it when I want a few puffs.

I also like to sit at a public bar with a pipe in my mouth, drink beer and bullshit. sigh. Try that in NY and you'd be in jail before you knew it.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Young Puffer Fish

When smoking a pipe, I usually read while listening to music and drinking coffee. Life's simple pleasure.

Driving, for the most part.

Also high on the list are watching my dogs (a border collie and a lab) play in the backyard, read, or....

wander aimlessly in the yard, listening to the grass grow.
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

I usually read on my kindle by the fire pit. In on-post housing we aren't allowed to smoke inside (not saying I haven't of course) so it's nice to have the fire pit to stay warm...ish on cold winter evenings.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
    I usually read on my kindle by the fire pit. In on-post housing we aren't allowed to smoke inside (not saying I haven't of course) so it's nice to have the fire pit to stay warm...ish on cold winter evenings.
    I'm from Newport News, Chris. (Actually, a few miles down the road in Hilton Village.) This is clearly a "big lie"! There ARE no cold winter evenings in Newport News! Chilly, at best. (Everything is relative. I'm still trying to acclimate to Rome, NY temps after 40 years. )
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

I don't know, Jim...when we got home from Florida last night it was 29 degrees! I'd call that a little more than chilly! lol

Scowl at people walking past my house.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Scowl at people walking past my house.
    Which is different from when you are not smoking a pipe how?
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

Quote Originally Posted by Desertlifter View Post
    Which is different from when you are not smoking a pipe how?
    When not smoking it's done from inside the house, curtains twitching. When smoking it's from the porch and I'm able to give a more personal touch and make intense and uncomfortable eye contact.

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    When not smoking it's done from inside the house, curtains twitching. When smoking it's from the porch and I'm able to give a more personal touch and make intense and uncomfortable eye contact.
    my lifelong dream is really to own a house with an elevated (maybe 5-6 steps up) porch on which I can put a rocking chair, a massive dog that barks at everyone, and a little radio (for jazz). Then said house needs to be across the street from an elementary school and I need to sit and rock all-day everyday and be that guy that everyone hates because he yells at everyone.

I aim high I know.

unfortunately I live on the third floor of a 13 story building, and will probably moving to the 30th floor in a year... alas.... a dream is still a dream

Quote Originally Posted by rogermugs View Post
    my lifelong dream is really to own a house with an elevated (maybe 5-6 steps up) porch on which I can put a rocking chair, a massive dog that barks at everyone, and a little radio (for jazz). Then said house needs to be across the street from an elementary school and I need to sit and rock all-day everyday and be that guy that everyone hates because he yells at everyone.
    Don't make me get my reachin' broom...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast