Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What do you do while you pipe?

This is a discussion on What do you do while you pipe? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I've found during my learning curve that I almost need to distract myself a little bit while enjoying my "practice ...

What do you do while you pipe?

I've found during my learning curve that I almost need to distract myself a little bit while enjoying my "practice smokes" or else I tend to run them too hot. I have been using the drugstore aromatics that came with my starter set more for technique work than pure enjoyment. I'll do some reading, forum surfing, or puttering about in the shop while I simply try to keep the pipe cool, but smoking steadily.

When I fire up a bowl of Frog Morton or EMP though( the only non drugstore tobacco I have thus far), I find myself focusing more on the experience and just enjoying the smoke while trying to train myself to pick out that something distinctive that makes me enjoy them more, but that I can't quite put my finger on.

Do you have a favorite piping co-activity, or do you simply pipe and kick back?

Re: What do you do while you pipe?

I pick a pipe and tobacco by size depending on what I plan to do. Small pipes for activities and larger pipes with my favorite tobacco for time to relax and enjoy me time.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do

No longer a community member.

One of three things:

1. Drive. My commute is 60 miles each way and a pipe is a nice way to unwind after work if I'm not headed immediately to work out.
    2. Read. My wife, nor my son come into my smoking room so I'm assured peace and quiet with my book
    3. Have a drink and listen to music. This is inspired by the same reasoning as number 2. This is most likely on a Saturday night after the house has all gone to bed.

I need watching TV and throwing darts emoticons!
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Young Puffer Fish

Definitely with coffee. And maybe with a good magazine. But coffee is a must! Either with the pipe, or the cigar...
    And I stuff the pipe with my favourite Davidoff Regular or a Bourbon Whiskey...

Sometimes I smoke a pipe on the balcony outside and just think, sometimes I bring a beer, coffee or glass of wine with me. Sometimes I surf the net, listen to music, or if I smoke inside (rarely), I may watch TV. Sometimes I smoke a pipe while driving. It all depends...I'm about to smoke in the car listening to music while on my way to class for grad school tonight, and I'll probably smoke on my way home while thinking about today's class discussions.

I usually have a bowl at my local B&M smoking lounge. playing on my ipad mini. Listening to music. enjoying the bowl. Also having to deal with the ribbing I get from cigar smokers heh

Maturing Puffer Fish JohnnyDarkside's Avatar

I tend to sit out on our building's loading dock during my lunch and read most days.

Weekends, I open up a couple windows in the basement and do various odd jobs (taking care of laundry, ironing, installing outlets, etc)

I sometimes will just sit on my porch and read after kids are asleep, though this weekend I'm needing to slap a couple coats of polish on my square tips.

First mohawk, last mohawk Magnificent_Bastard's Avatar

I do nothing but enjoy the moment. Meaning, it's leisure time for me, whether it is a pipe or cigar. Decompress and relax. Ahh.

I may read or enjoy an adult beverage, but that's a part of the experience. I'm not incorporating the pipe into another event, if you will.

I like to just sit back and take a break while I smoke my pipe, but there are some days where the timing just doesn't work. I have wound up doing a fair amount of studying while smoking, though since I only smoke outside, it has to be reasonably calm weather for that... Other times, I'll fire up a podcast and listen to that while I relax. And for the last several weeks, I've made time to go hit the local B&M to have a smoke in their lounge and enjoy some light conversation.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Hambone1's Avatar

Winter: Decompress and relax with a Double Jack N Coke while surfing the net and listening to music
    Fall/Spring: Might smoke a bowl while doing yard work or working in my garage restoring guns (see Winter)
    Summer: Sweat (see Fall/Spring)

All the time, smoke a small bowl to and from work for my commute. B&M cigar bar, meet friends and talk shit while smoking.

Never in my house, always outside. Man's World, i.e. my garage
    Puffers will push you down the slippery slope of PAD/TAD! Get out while you can!

I like to just sit outside and look at the trees swaying. I smoke while I drive fairly often. I don't really smoke in the house, but I bet puffing while surfing the net is pretty fun.

All interesting answers. I live in a country where tobacco is substantially less marginal of a substance to be enjoyed. The vast majority of my work is spent out and around the city, meeting people, or even just sitting with people, but then I have about 8 hours spread throughout the week where I'm sitting in an office. Luckily the guys in the office also enjoy the pipe with me. Meetings one on one with them usually involve a pipe, while I smoke I also answer email (I hate email, but knowing I'm going to be enjoying something alongside of it makes it liveable).

I also bring my pipe out with me almost everywhere and partake while sitting with friends, or I introduce people to a pipe... Lots and lots of cigarette smokers... very few pipers.

That said, yesterday I shared my MM with a guy who promised to bring by a 5-year aged Davidoff tobacco of some sort this afternoon.... yum.

All that to say, yea, occasionally I can have a smoke over a beer or something, but most of my smoking is done at work.

F.O.G. with nice smokes OnePyroTec's Avatar

I'm either driving or sitting on the front porch with a cup of coffee (or two) watching the grass grow.

Bob, that's interesting you can smoke at work. I would love to smoke at work! But here in the states they haven't let people smoke inside office buildings since my dad's days of working.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast