Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Got a brand new Xikar Resource & it lasted 1 1/2 bowls before running out of fuel!

This is a discussion on Got a brand new Xikar Resource & it lasted 1 1/2 bowls before running out of fuel! within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I've been looking at pipe lighters for a while. I have a Zippo and like it, but wanted a nice ...

Young Puffer Fish

Question Got a brand new Xikar Resource & it lasted 1 1/2 bowls before running out of fuel!

I've been looking at pipe lighters for a while. I have a Zippo and like it, but wanted a nice butane option. I finally settled on a Xikar Resource. I bought it locally and it works well. It feels great in the hand and it lights every time so far. I just got it yesterday and they purged it and then filled it with Xikar butane as I watched there in the store. I got home and smoked a bowl out of my Nording. I probably re-lit 10 times throughout (I was talking a lot, etc.). I had also bought some Nightcap for the first time, so later I pulled out my pipe that I use for latakia blends and lit it. I got maybe 2 re-lights and it was out of fuel. I pushed in the valve to make sure nothing was left and it was totally empty. WHAT?!? I re-filled it and I'll test it over the weekend. However, I'm curious if people out there have experienced this same issue with the Resource. I'm wondering if this is just a design flaw. If so, it is a pretty major one. I re-light a fair amount and this won't cut it, which is a shame. Also, the tools don't reach the bottom of my Nording. :-(

Puffer Fish with many spikes Hambone1's Avatar

Re: Got a brand new Xikar Resource & it lasted 1 1/2 bowls before running out of fuel

My Xikar has a vary small chamber for fuel and last about 10-12 lights as well. But I don't use it that much, I prefer my NIMROD (FTW)!
    Puffers will push you down the slippery slope of PAD/TAD! Get out while you can!

Young Puffer Fish

Re: Got a brand new Xikar Resource & it lasted 1 1/2 bowls before running out of fuel

Yeah, that really stinks. Having to refill my lighter after every bowl or two is not something I want to mess with. If this is truly a design flaw, I'll just sell the thing. :-(

I tried lighters for a bit and the refuel thing was too much for this lazy bastard. Im a stick match kinda guy I guess.
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

Curmudgeon in training. jdhollyfield's Avatar

I'm a firm believer in match lighting and this is further proof my chosen path is the right one.
    Sell it and move on.

if you can swing it, get yourself a old boy. you can fill it once and it will last a good week or so of constant lights. had my for 2 yrs no issues. never liked Xikar at all

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by laloin View Post
    if you can swing it, get yourself a old boy. you can fill it once and it will last a good week or so of constant lights. had my for 2 yrs no issues. never liked Xikar at all
    Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. If I decide to get another lighter, I'm going all out and I'll get an Old Boy (or possible a Tsubota Pearl Eddie). I went with the Xikar because my local B&M carried it and I'd had good luck with their cigar torch lighters.

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman22 View Post
    I tried lighters for a bit and the refuel thing was too much for this lazy bastard. Im a stick match kinda guy I guess.

I prefer to light with a match too. But sometimes the wind is just too much so I grab my zippo. Works great and I only have to refuel it every week or two depending on how much I use it.

My pipe lighter is a Xikar Pipeline, which is modeled after the Old Boy and I like it. I can't remember when the last time I filled it was, but then again I rarely smoke my pipe anymore. Pretty consistent light and flame, though the flame could be a bit larger in my opinion.

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
    I prefer to light with a match too. But sometimes the wind is just too much so I grab my zippo. Works great and I only have to refuel it every week or two depending on how much I use it.
    ^^^ That's exactly what I do. Matches mostly, and a zippo pipelighter when it's windy.

Another vote for matches, preferably wooden ones. I have a Zippo with a pipe insert, but I mostly use it for relights. The zippo fuel is better tasting than it used to be, but still too strong for me for an initial light up.

I have a Xikar for cigars, but my experience with it is the fuel runs out way too fast.
    It is quite a three pipe problem, and I beg that you won't speak to me for fifty minutes.