Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

buffing pipes with caranuba wax

This is a discussion on buffing pipes with caranuba wax within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; i set up a electric drill buffing set and while my pipes do look better after buffing it doesn't have ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

buffing pipes with caranuba wax

i set up a electric drill buffing set and while my pipes do look better after buffing it doesn't have the wet look that i see on pipes online. anyone have any ideas on why my pipes dont' really pop

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Re: buffing pipes with caranuba wax

I only use Caranuba wax on my Corvette if i don't get the shine i want i wait 24 hours and reapply.
    I don't know if the same holds true for pipes Good Luck!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

any other advice?

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Benjamin,

Check this out:

pipemakersforum.com • View topic - Buffing

Much good info here. Particularly that given by Sas.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

i must be doing something wrong because i am following their directions to a T. I use white diamond then caranuba. Perhaps it's because it's a sandblasted or rusticated pipe. Because these pipes don't have a shine after buffing with white diamond.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Oh, I didn't realize it wasn't a smooth finish. That may well be the issue.

Check this out:

pipemakersforum.com • View topic - Finishing a Rusticated Pipe
    pipemakersforum.com • View topic - Sandblast/Rusticated pipe restoration]

There are a few other threads over there that talk about rusticated/sandblast finishes as well if you haven't seen them.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Halcyon no-buff works pretty well but it takes a few minutes to pick the excess white wax that dries up in the cracks of the pipe. Good shine without the wheel though.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    Halcyon no-buff works pretty well but it takes a few minutes to pick the excess white wax that dries up in the cracks of the pipe. Good shine without the wheel though.
    I'm wondering if you could dye the wax black, then leave that which remains in the letters, logos, etc. without have to pick it out. 'Cause white is just not the same...
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

I wonder if you are using too much wax/buffing compound. I get the best shine when I use them sparingly... Curiously though, what type of shine are you hoping to get from a rusticated pipe, other than a nice clean look?

If you guys had seen a brand new rusticated Cavicchi, you'd know a rusticated pipe can shine with the best of them. Damn things look like they're encrusted with diamonds...
    ********.com