Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Making horrible sounds with my guitar

This is a discussion on Making horrible sounds with my guitar within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I think practicing with a metronome is a critical aspect in learning any type of instrument. I always recommended getting ...

Re: Making horrible sounds with my guitar

I think practicing with a metronome is a critical aspect in learning any type of instrument. I always recommended getting a tuner/metronome instead of just a tuner. I was trying to post a link to a decent yet cheap one at musician's friend, but I can't post links yet . You can get some decent tuner/metronome combos for no more than $30.

I could always distinctly tell who practiced with a metronome and who didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by logically View Post
    I could always distinctly tell who practiced with a metronome and who didn't.
    Definitely! A cheap tuner/metronome is the way to go, for sure. I have one of these, and they're on sale today!

Boss TU-80 Guitar Tuner & Metronome | Musician's Friend
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

I use an app on my iphine

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    I agree that Viktor Wooten is truly astonishing! There are so many great players on guitars of all sorts, that I sometimes think I'm one of only a handful of people on the planet who plays like crap!
    Is that the guy that played with Bela Fleck, or am I getting old and confused?
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Is that the guy that played with Bela Fleck, or am I getting old and confused?
    I don't see where the two questions are mutually exclusive, but Wooten played with Béla Fleck and the Flecktones. The second question will remain unanswered for now, okay Mark?

I agree that Viktor Wooten is truly astonishing! There are so many great players on guitars of all sorts, that I sometimes think I'm one of only a handful of people on the planet who plays like crap!
    Jaco Pastorius was great in his time. Let's see if I can post a link.

I don't see where the two questions are mutually exclusive, but Wooten played with Béla Fleck and the Flecktones. The second question will remain unanswered for now, okay Mark?
    I got into that stuff for a while, but I have to admit, I haven't listened to them in years.
    ********.com

It's such a miserable day out there. Snow. Smoking some 1792 in the Diplomat, trying to think happy thoughts in the face of weather adversity, when I suddenly remembered this! Watch close! Totally amazing when one frets and the other plucks the strings. Hell, I can barely play a scale that fast by myself!

Their South American stuff is rhythmically VERY complex and their Scarlatti is sublime. My favorite classical guitar duo.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked_Rhube View Post
    I think that has been the case every single guitar that I have ever touched that is owned by someone who doesn't really play, or really try that much. Impossible to play when the strings are 18 miles away from the instrument.
    Whar does that mean?

Resident Perdomo Whore Wicked_Rhube's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pipinho View Post
    Whar does that mean?
    The "action" on a guitar is the distance between the neck and the strings.
    Name:  action02.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  19.1 KB
    Sometimes I have grabbed a guitar that a buddy has, one he "messes around with" but doesn't really play, I can't play it either because the action is so ridiculously high. These are usually, but in no way limited to inexpensive acoustic models with a crappy bridge, set up in a sweat shop by someone who could care less about it. It is difficult to hold down the strings on time when you have a mile to push them. I have never measured the action on any of mine, I adjust it by feel. I probably like mine on the fast (close to neck) side anyway, thus making abnormally high (slow) action even more difficult for me.
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain

hmm interesting. I guess even the non sweat shop guitars have that problem. I wonder why it's so common...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

I just picked up a used acoustic from a musician I know. I had mentioned that I wanted to get a guitar to learn on and he offered one of his knock around guitars that would be good for a beginner. Luckily he had it set up so the action is great. I'm enjoying this thread fellows. Keep it up!
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by pipinho View Post
    hmm interesting. I guess even the non sweat shop guitars have that problem. I wonder why it's so common...
    A new classical guitar's face will warp ever so slightly over time, after the strings put the bridge under tension. (This is a GOOD thing.) The warping pulls the bridge up in the back and raises the strings ever so slightly above the fretboard, so that it's not unusual to have to lower the action. I can't speak for steel, but classical guitars generally have actions between 5mm (high) and 2.5mm (low) at the 12th fret. I like it around 3.5mm. Setting the action on a classical is very easy (assuming the rest of the set-up and registration is sensible) -- take off the strings, slip out the saddle and sand the bottom against a flat surface, slip it back in and restring. The problem is that "You can never go home again." This is one of the reasons that action is sold a bit on the high side, because if the player wants a higher action he'd have to buy a new saddle, whereas a too-high action is easily remedied.

Some players are very strong -- in both hands. A lower action can buzz when a loud player starts getting very loud, not at the fret like a beginner, but rather the entire length of the string slapping into the fretboard because of the strong attack. Such players actually NEED 4 or 5mm to give them room. These are invariably masters or very advanced students, who can "overplay" a lower action.

The reason a lower action is referred to as "fast" is because the less force it takes to hold the string down for fretting, the easier it is to get OFF the note and move to the next.
    Last edited by freestoke; 04-07-2013 at 09:02 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3