Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Making horrible sounds with my guitar

This is a discussion on Making horrible sounds with my guitar within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Trying to play classical guitar, sucking at it majorly... But who cares? I'm smoking atistans blend in my sav....

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Making horrible sounds with my guitar

Trying to play classical guitar, sucking at it majorly... But who cares? I'm smoking atistans blend in my sav.

Re: Making horrible sounds with my guitar

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks as if the action's too high, Benjamin. Are you taking lessons or trying to figure it out for yourself?

Take my word for it, if you want to pick an instrument that you can majorly suck at immediately, classical guitar would be the one. Reminds me of a CG joke.

Kid asks his father for an electric bass. Father says, okay, but he has to take lessons. The first week, the kid comes home and Dad asks him, "How'd the lesson go?" "Great, Dad!" The kid practices all week, goes to school, but doesn't come back from his lesson until midnight. The father asks, "What happened? Where have you been!?" "Sorry, Dad, couldn't make the lesson -- I had a gig."

This is a really, really, funny joke for CG players. Pickers don't usually grok it.

I've never been successful smoking a pipe while I play. Ashes everywhere. Segovia seems to manage quite nicely however.
    Last edited by freestoke; 03-18-2013 at 02:28 PM.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

I tried the guitar back in the seventies. In fact, some credit me with singlehandedly creating death metal. Unfortunately, I was trying to play Cat Stevens...
    ********.com

No response. No thanks for the RG. Doesn't laugh at my jokes. Guess you're on your own, Benjamin.

I bought a 5 string banjo a year ago, my first musical instrument since I played the piano 55 years ago. I bought it to celebrate having a left hand I could actually use after shattering my left wrist and developing a rare nerve disorder (CRPS) and going through a year of physical therapy. It's been great fun and good therapy.

I've got 10 tunes that I can play at speed and another 5 that are getting there. My wife opened the door to my practice room because she liked my playing which was a surprise (since she likes "show tunes") My 4 year old twin grandson's like to hear grandpa play, too.

I don't smoke my pipe while playing. Too much stuff going on. But, I have some cobs that would fit in perfectly with the banjo.

Jim, your joke made me smile (but then, I'm known for my twisted sense humor)
    WyoBob

Quote Originally Posted by WyoBob View Post
    I bought a 5 string banjo a year ago, my first musical instrument since I played the piano 55 years ago.
    I don't smoke my pipe while playing. Too much stuff going on. But, I have some cobs that would fit in perfectly with the banjo.
    Jim, your joke made me smile (but then, I'm known for my twisted sense humor)
    Banjo shares a lot of technical tricks with CG. Arpeggio mania! Great that you have people to play for, too. I'm envious. I returned to CG after a layoff of some 20 years, practicing every single day for six straight years from November of 2005 until 2011, some days for eight hours or more, never missing even one day. Was finally starting to see some progress when I just gave up Christmas of 2011. Nobody asked me to play at the party. sigh. With nobody to play for, it didn't seem to have a point any more. Plus, it irritates Audrey when I practice instead of doing something "productive", which is understandable (it would drive me nuts too). She went on part time about then, so I wasn't alone in the house as much and I completely quit playing. Can't play worth beans again, all that time more or less wasted. sigh. I've had top notch master teachers in the past, so I wasn't really "on my own" at all. Sometimes I see posts like this and I want to offer some advice on how to go about learning to play guitar, but it's always futile.

I played piano, too, for over 20 years before taking up CG. The piano is a bit like playing a tuned drum compared with CG or banjo. Anybody can make a piano sound pretty decent after a few months of practice, but CG is far more intractable. Banjo doesn't sound much easier, but stick with it! I've always had a soft spot for banjo! Flatt and Scruggs!! Yowzah!!

For those who don't get the joke, it takes about 2 or 3 years to get any sort of handle at all on CG, even with prior training on an instrument, good instruction and daily practice. Even some of the famous electric bass players never play beyond a virtual beginner level. There are some great ones out there, but not many.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Just found out that I was using the wrong finger for the third fret

Quote Originally Posted by pipinho View Post
    Just found out that I was using the wrong finger for the third fret
    Are you learning from videos, a book, a friend? Trying to dig it out of the sound hole by yourself is extremely difficult. Can you read music or are you working with tabs? And what sort of music are you trying to play -- folk, blues, jazz, classical...? And are you playing with a pick or finger style?

I'm really just trying to help you along by long distance, Benjamin. I have no students now (by choice), but I have been quite successful with my guitar students over the years. I'm not just firing from the hip. One of the nice things about taking lessons from me is that you're allowed to smoke!

Could I ask what kind of guitar that is?

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks as if the action's too high, Benjamin. Are you taking lessons or trying to figure it out for yourself?

Take my word for it, if you want to pick an instrument that you can majorly suck at immediately, classical guitar would be the one. Reminds me of a CG joke.

Kid asks his father for an electric bass. Father says, okay, but he has to take lessons. The first week, the kid comes home and Dad asks him, "How'd the lesson go?" "Great, Dad!" The kid practices all week, goes to school, but doesn't come back from his lesson until midnight. The father asks, "What happened? Where have you been!?" "Sorry, Dad, couldn't make the lesson -- I had a gig."

This is a really, really, funny joke for CG players. Pickers don't usually grok it.

I've never been successful smoking a pipe while I play. Ashes everywhere. Segovia seems to manage quite nicely however.
    Well, as a bass player, it's pretty hard to sound bad with it. You can be out of time, sure, but actually sounding bad requires some real skill. Now, my electric violin on the other hand...

Hi Jim,
    I thought your joke was fantastic!

But the World is poorer from the absence of your playing...
    I hope you can find joy in it again some time.

Thanks for sharing the fun Benjamin
    Dafiddla
    "What Could be Finer, than a Spanish Cedar Liner?"

As a bass player this makes me laugh. It's kind of true, but not really. I gave a lot of guitar and bass lessons when I was in college to make some extra cash. Of course I know it's just a joke

I have never been able to smoke while I play either. I used to smoke cigarettes and would try to smoke those while playing. It was cool until I needed to ash, or couldn't get any fresh air lol.

Resident Perdomo Whore Wicked_Rhube's Avatar

Hard to tell from the picture, but it looks as if the action's too high, Benjamin
    I think that has been the case every single guitar that I have ever touched that is owned by someone who doesn't really play, or really try that much. Impossible to play when the strings are 18 miles away from the instrument.
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by logically View Post
    As a bass player this makes me laugh. It's kind of true, but not really. I gave a lot of guitar and bass lessons when I was in college to make some extra cash. Of course I know it's just a joke

I have never been able to smoke while I play either. I used to smoke cigarettes and would try to smoke those while playing. It was cool until I needed to ash, or couldn't get any fresh air lol.
    The best electric bass player I ever heard live was in Dallas, the Dallas Rhythm Section, who made most of their living playing the instruments for country and western singers for their albums at a local recording studio, frequently without credit. It cost more without album credits. The "recording stars'" normal sloppy bass, keyboard, and drum band members could take a break while the recording was made. ("They never sound as good live, ya know?" There's frequently a reason for that. ) Anyhow, the bass player told me, "About all I do for practice is play scales on my cello." All three of them had degrees in music, as I recall, even the drummer. The bar they played in at night was within walking distance, so I could go throw some darts, have something to eat, drink a bunch of beer and listen to them without getting a DWI. Very good musicians. Great times, those!

Quote Originally Posted by Wicked_Rhube View Post
    I think that has been the case every single guitar that I have ever touched that is owned by someone who doesn't really play, or really try that much. Impossible to play when the strings are 18 miles away from the instrument.
    Really. It always hurts to see that somebody has been struggling for YEARS with a piece of crap with an unplayable action.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast