Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need a recommendation

This is a discussion on Need a recommendation within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hello everyone, I am looking for a tobacco with Kendal Kentucky level nicotine, but in ribbon form. I am having ...

Need a recommendation

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a tobacco with Kendal Kentucky level nicotine, but in ribbon form. I am having the hardest time getting packed properly. I can pack my nightcap just fine, but shags are proving difficult. I have tried some flakes and ropes but they are not beginner friendly. Anyone?

-Michael
    Last edited by Ghost02; 03-17-2013 at 09:48 PM.

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Re: Need a recommendation

I find that Dunhill Royal Yacht has a big nicotine hit.

A lot of flakes are high in nicotine... they are much easier to deal with if ya rub them out.

Young Puffer Fish

I second the Royal Yacht recommendation. Although not in ribbon form, Jack knife by Pease seemed to have abundant nicotene; you might enjoy that blend.

Strongest thing I've had lately is Cornell & Diehll's Easy Times. It kicked my butt. Watch your mailbox...
    ********.com

Young Puffer Fish

I figured I would try pipes, got a deal on a nice stanwell. Bought a captain black sampler. I didn't care for any of them (will trade), then some nightcap....pretty nice. But so far nothing that grabs me. Please help! I like the ritual, but the tobaccos have not been up to par.

My go to source for baccy info is tabaccoreviews.com - you'll find details on the blend and great, detailed reviews. Look at the baccy you've had, and maybe you'll find a pattern in the blends.

I also like high vit-N, and my dailies include (which were also my first) Cornell & Diehl's Old Joe Krantz and Bow-Legged Bear.

Here's a free sample of baccy:  http://www.stglanepipe.com/FreeSamples.aspx

For a great selection of baccy to try before you buy, sign up for the NST for pipe (read post #1 ):  Newbie Sampler Trade for Pipes

Discounts available now (4noggins will also give samples on request - just put it comments):
    10% off smokingpipes Dunhill bulk for March
    4noggins 10% thru 3/20

Have you visited the pipe lounges? Congenial bunch of guys that really gave me a great education, fast!
    Morning:  Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread
    Afternoon:  The Afternoon Smoke Break
    Tonight:  Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES

Thanks for the recommendations guys, I will check out royal yacht. MarkC, I will keep a watch on my little cubby mailbox. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost02 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendations guys, I will check out royal yacht. MarkC, I will keep a watch on my little cubby mailbox. ;D
    Okay, I've got another for you: Dunhill My Mixture 965. Like RY, this ribbon cut easily packs and lights fresh straight from a new tin, and has an excellent vit-N hit. Unlike RY, it is an english blend, with some Cavendish. I can see this becoming my morning-afternoon smoke.

Either are absolutely foolproof for a noob! With a little light tamping, you should easily smoke the bowl through to a fine ash (I've only been smoking a pipe since the first of this year.)

Although I got the tins a month ago, I just opened one yesterday. Here's my initial impression (post #4560 ): Official Piper's "Good Morning" Thread

Depending on your level of nicotine tolerance, in low levels N is a stimulant but in high levels it is sedating. OJK (Burley/Va) as I previously mentioned also has a great kick, is an easy to pack ribbon, but find that it does need a day/two to dry. The BLB is a strong english (I like this for night), and is a user friendly cake that also needs a day/two. When you work back up the the flakes, you might try Sam Gawaith's 1792 and Squandron Leader.

Ok, MM965 is now on the list. I have had 1792, it burned poorly even after a day of drying, and theplus I still found it lackinginicotine. I went to dark birdseye, which I like, as well as KK, my favorite is brown Irish twist though, I even got that to burn well. Nightcap is a favorite as well. I just find the shag cuts of the GH tobaccos difficult to deal with.a any tips?

By the way, thank you guys very much for the recommendations, I would type longer responses as I think I seem curt, but I have to respond using a phone with a tiny keyboard, so it is very difficult. I really do apprechiaye the help!
    Last edited by Ghost02; 03-20-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Young Puffer Fish

Another vote for the dunhill 965. I've only been smoking a pipe for about two months myself, so it's definately newb friendly. I'm about halfway through a tin of it and can usually get to the bottom of the bowl in two to three matches. A little "air time" definately helps as it is a bit moist (just a slight bit) straight out of the tin.

I had a tin of GL Pease Jack Knife ready rub and C&D Exhausted Rooster deliver this weekend as well, both have a respectable nicotine level. The C&D Rooster is a broken flake that I ordered specifically for the learning experience of smoking flake so I don't think that would be what you're after.

The ready rub is a different story. The first bowl I didn't finish rubbing it out and had several relights. I've smoked two others where I've fully rubbed out and it packs and smokes really well. As a matter of fact I just finished a bowl with only two matches. Very newb friendly (for this newb anyway) and it hits the nicotine "spot" just right for me.

Another one to consider is Peterson Irish Oak, reminded by a sample of it I'm smoking now. Also reminded that I forgot it on my 4noggins orders. The mypipe discount expired at 12a, but you can still get 10% off with the coupon code facebook - just make sure you click on "apply," as I learned, and it will confirm the discount.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Strongest thing I've had lately is Cornell & Diehll's Easy Times. It kicked my butt. Watch your mailbox...
    Thank you very much for the sample, it is both quite tasty and apprechiated. You made my day!

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Hal O the Wynd has a bigger nicotine wallop than Royal Yacht in my experience.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by TTecheTTe View Post
    My go to source for baccy info is tabaccoreviews.com - you'll find details on the blend and great, detailed reviews. Look at the baccy you've had, and maybe you'll find a pattern in the blends.
    And don't forget Pipe Related Reviews . A little farther down, you suggest Irish Oak, the Monthly Review tobacco for last July, rated thus: Puff Monthly Tobacco Review: Petersen Irish Oak (July 2012).

I think everything mentioned here so far has a "local" review. A sneakier way is to look at what smokers here have "Open" at tobaccocellar.com/puff-username, frequently an indicator of what that person deems "smokable".
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

I suggest you go to tobacco reviews.com and do an advanced search for ribbon and a strength range of from strong to overwhelming. That produces 34 items in the results, but most of them are not widely available. from there you can read reviews on those which look interesting. I wouldn't put a lot of stock in the ones that only have one review.
    Last edited by Nachman; 03-26-2013 at 11:35 AM.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast