Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Ashy taste with new Peterson Aran

This is a discussion on Ashy taste with new Peterson Aran within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hello all, I recently made my foray into the world of pipes by purchasing a Peterson Aran. Whilst it's a ...

Newbie in the ocean

Question Ashy taste with new Peterson Aran

Hello all,

I recently made my foray into the world of pipes by purchasing a Peterson Aran. Whilst it's a lovely pipe, every smoke since the first bowl of Frog Morton has had a rather unpleasant, acrid and ashy taste. I fear it may have been subject to Peterson's infamous "dip staining" practice. Or have I done something egregiously wrong? I've sampled two tobaccos thus far: Frog Morton and Frog Morton on the town, and the subtle ashy taste is noticeable with both varieties. I've probably smoked this pipe less than a dozen times, so perhaps it needs a bit more time to break in?

I've never smoked a pipe before (though was addicted to cigarettes for years), let alone an English blend, so perhaps I'm merely tasting the earthiness of Latakia. However, as I say, my first bowl of Frog Morton was delightful, without this bitter undertone, and I'm very partial to strong, even strange, tastes besides.

I light with matches, and try to smoke rather slowly, and I clean the pipe rigorously after every smoke (with bristled cotton pipe cleaner). Is it possible I neglected to break the pipe in properly? I went straight into packing full bowls from the off.

Well, I'm really at a loss, lads. I think I may just buy a cheap Savinelli and see if the problem persists. If so, I'll know it's my fault entirely. Any advice is warmly appreciated. I do love this little pastime, and am loath to give it up.
    Last edited by Bryarn; 03-19-2013 at 01:31 AM.

Re: Ashy taste with new Peterson Aran

Just a guess, but I'm betting on the stain problem. If so, it'll go away eventually.
    ********.com

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Get a cob to learn on. They have a GREAT draw, and break-in in just a couple bowls. Cobs are world class pipes at El Cheap-o prices.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Get a cob and check the two blends you mentioned.
    I, personally, do not like latakia as it reminds me of campfire smoke. I would suspect, again my opinion, that the ashy acrid taste is from the blends.

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Bryarn, Eric just made a good point... If ya changed yer descriptor from "ashy" to "smokey" you would peg latakia blends. Both of the blends you were smoking were heavy on the latakia.

Newbie in the ocean

Cheers, gents. Can anyone describe what a dip-stained pipe actually looks like? I can tell you that the interior bowl of my Peterson has a black, matte finish. Could this be a pre-carbon coating? If so, could that be the source of the odd taste? Shall I just continue to smoke it until a real carbon cake has built up?

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

My only new-purchased Peterson tasted funny at the beginning too. A combination of dip staining, polyurethane, and activated carbon will give many of Pete's more budget friendly pipes a pretty unique taste. But worry not, good smoke solves nearly all the problems I've experienced with Peterson pipes. Put a tin through it and don't obsess over cleaning the draught (often the interior of the tenon is where the stain taste is the strongest, it is closer to your mouth and not covered in carbon). Smoke your pipe and run a non-bristled pipe cleaner through it every other time. After the taste goes away, go back to babying it!

Quote Originally Posted by karatekyle View Post
    My only new-purchased Peterson tasted funny at the beginning too. A combination of dip staining, polyurethane, and activated carbon will give many of Pete's more budget friendly pipes a pretty unique taste. But worry not, good smoke solves nearly all the problems I've experienced with Peterson pipes. Put a tin through it and don't obsess over cleaning the draught (often the interior of the tenon is where the stain taste is the strongest, it is closer to your mouth and not covered in carbon). Smoke your pipe and run a non-bristled pipe cleaner through it every other time. After the taste goes away, go back to babying it!
    I have too petersons with a coating like this and they both smoke great. If the coating leaves a bad taste it would be only slight, and only the first bowl or two. You would know that's what your tasting and it wouldn't last.