Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Buying Estate Pipes

This is a discussion on Buying Estate Pipes within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Well Been buying pipes and I know a lot of people on here do as well. Right now on the ...

Buying Estate Pipes

Well Been buying pipes and I know a lot of people on here do as well. Right now on the bay system is someone with over 11k + and says 100% positive that has some Pipes listed way off the Make. Now I know I don't know all the Marks or Brands of all the Pipes even the ones I collect however doing a Search on my iPhone for Medico Gold Crest only bought up 2 items. One was for a #51 with all the right stuff and another one for a Pipe that has a Cool looking pipe holder (Not a part of the Sale) and a Pipe with Markings I haven't seen on any medico before. Then on the pictures the thing is called Gold Coast and has a Gold Filled band, bite mark in the bit and a buy it now price for 45.00. LOL. So this makes me wonder what else is being sold at questionable listing so I look more. Then I find another pipe, That the Seller says the crack where the Shank meets the stem is only surface LOL and a buy it now for 34.99 or best offer for a Navigator.

Just be on the look out and safe buying. I don't like being taken. Sent her a message and her reply was well I already sold over 400 pipes and no one has been unhappy so who knows. Thought I would share this

Happy Smoking
    James
    For the Love of (__[@}___Cigars__}}}}}
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."~E G R

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Andrewdk's Avatar

Re: Buying Estate Pipes

Yep buyer beware, some great deals on the bay and some right jokes. I remember a thread here about some high end pipe held together with duct tape being sold for mint conditions price.
    The land of milk and honey, a safe haven and the last bastion of freedom - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/andrewdk

Elder Puffer Fish Leader dj1340's Avatar

Thanks for the lookout James, can't trust everybody on fleabay no matter what they say
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

There was a cherrywood pipe a while back that Cmdr. Quann found that wouldn't have held a pinch by the size of the out-of-control cake. Kept being listed and relisted for the same unbelievable price. Some people! 'Bay robbers like that just hurt my feelings. We're not stupid, just sell the pipe for what it's worth!

Full grown Puffer Fish

While we're on about bad eBay sellers, I've bought a few pipes that looked bright and shiny in the images, but arrived covered with some revolting furniture polish. Seriously, I don't mind buffing and waxing myself, I PREFER slightly grubby looking pipes for the discount I get on them. Who knows what was in that gunk? I thought about negative feedback, but I let it slide. I guess I should have written a note to the seller to tell him that I was annoyed.
    If I could write poetry, I'd be a poet. I can't, so I smoke a pipe instead ....

Irfan, I wouldn't have ever let that Slide. I would have shared a few words the day I opened it and seen it wasn't as pictured or posted. Just bought a Small Laptop off there as well with the Idea that it came with as they posted Win 7 pro yet the Laptop came with WinXp and they offered to take it back for a full refund or a part I said other then the software issue everything was ok and a Part would be good, said what ever they thought was good would work for me and they refunded back 30 so I was very happy in the end. But someone trying to sale a Gold Coast as a Gold Crest is more then just wrong. On top of that, the price they are asking in a buy it now is like more then I have seen most Gold Crest. The sad thing is that some one like her that has 11k positive feedback showing 100% would take more then a few negative to make it matter and I think most the the shady posting is not an accident.
    For the Love of (__[@}___Cigars__}}}}}
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."~E G R

Quote Originally Posted by Irfan View Post
    While we're on about bad eBay sellers, I've bought a few pipes that looked bright and shiny in the images, but arrived covered with some revolting furniture polish. Seriously, I don't mind buffing and waxing myself, I PREFER slightly grubby looking pipes for the discount I get on them. Who knows what was in that gunk? I thought about negative feedback, but I let it slide. I guess I should have written a note to the seller to tell him that I was annoyed.
    I think for that one, I'd go with negative feedback. Purposely damaging the pipe just to get a good photo, whether they knew it was bad or not, kind of crosses the line. If they didn't know any better, they shouldn't be selling pipes, and if they did, they deserve negative feedback for sure.
    ********.com

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

I'll gladly pay more to buy an estate from pulver's or smokingpipes for these reasons.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I think for that one, I'd go with negative feedback. Purposely damaging the pipe just to get a good photo, whether they knew it was bad or not, kind of crosses the line. If they didn't know any better, they shouldn't be selling pipes, and if they did, they deserve negative feedback for sure.
    Yeah, I should have contacted the seller. I remember he was a regular pipe seller, too, so the "ignorance" angle is less defensible. But the thing is, I live overseas and shipping back and forwards across the pond can easily add up to $50. I generally use a US-based reshipping service, and get several packages sent over at the same time, to keep costs down. Any dispute with a seller is probably going to involve me shipping the goods back to them at my expense, unless they are being really customer-friendly. So I look at eBay purchases as a crap shoot, what I pay is a gamble. I've still had many more positive experiences than negative ones. In that particular case, a very, very thorough cleaning, alcohol treatment, the lot, and the pipes were saved. I guess I should still have told the guy that I was unhappy with it so that he might refrain from doing the same thing again.

Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
    I'll gladly pay more to buy an estate from pulver's or smokingpipes for these reasons.
    What you say makes sense, kind of. Certainly for the risk adverse. I still love getting hold of a rubbishy looking pipe for $20 and restoring it to something I treasure.
    If I could write poetry, I'd be a poet. I can't, so I smoke a pipe instead ....

I can relate to that. First pipe related eBay purchase I made was an old round Decatur pipe stand with a tobacco jar in the center, which arrived with the jar in pieces and part of the rack broken off. After paying to ship it back, I would have lost about nine bucks to return it for a refund, so it's still here, with the rack held together with crazy glue...
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by Irfan View Post
    ...I look at eBay purchases as a crap shoot, what I pay is a gamble. I've still had many more positive experiences than negative ones.
    I agree entirely and buy on that basis. In several hundred buys over the years, I have had only a handful where they seller was being disingenuous at best; most people are honest and genuine. Where I've been less than satisfied, I keep my own counsel and simply note never to deal with that trader again. I've also had some spectacular bargains and I suspect that many others here have as well. But I bet no-one has yet had enough of a pang of conscience to follow up their discovery with an extra payment to the seller. You take the rough with the smooth as do the sellers.

I think I'll go smoke my 1899 Barling with silver band that I got on eBay for about $75. Still makes me smile...
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Newbie in the ocean

I have had an Ebay store for many years, selling cameras. Last year I started listing pipes I did not smoke on it. Ebay can be a rewarding experience if you follow some guidelines. Do not buy unless you see some very detailed pictures. You should be able to read the stamping on the pipe and most of the picture should be in sharp focus. Communicate with the seller at least once by email before buying. If you do not get a quick response, stay away. This is where you gauge the person's professionalism. Check and read the ratings. If the seller has more than 1 or 2 complaints, buy elsewhere. If you get ripped off, don't take it quietly, as mentioned below. Demand a return, and if that demand is refused, and let the seller know you will give a bad rating if he does not refund your purchase. I have bought a lot on Ebay as well as selling. In 9 years I have only overpaid once, and that would have been avoided if I checked the photos more carefully.