Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Falcon Pipes

This is a discussion on Falcon Pipes within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Anyone have any experience with Falcon Aluminum pipes? I have been thinking of trying one, just out of curiosity....

Philosopher Extraordinai Gigmaster's Avatar

Falcon Pipes

Anyone have any experience with Falcon Aluminum pipes? I have been thinking of trying one, just out of curiosity.

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Re: Falcon Pipes

I have two. One of them is a little beat up, but the other one I use regularly. It has a rusticated bowl and I've dedicated it for latakia blends.

Ii have two, a normal sized one and a bigger one that even has a removable stem. Never can remember what they call the big one. I snip a short piece of pipe cleaner into the well instead of the filters (which I've never even seen) and they smoke okay, especially the big one, which I smoke fairly often. The little one, not so much. Got 'em on ebay, the little one for less than $20 and the big one in like-new condition for about $30, but no box or anything.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Ii have two, a normal sized one and a bigger one that even has a removable stem. Never can remember what they call the big one. I snip a short piece of pipe cleaner into the well instead of the filters (which I've never even seen) and they smoke okay, especially the big one, which I smoke fairly often. The little one, not so much. Got 'em on ebay, the little one for less than $20 and the big one in like-new condition for about $30, but no box or anything.
    The filter, "Dry Ring" as they call them, is just a piece of pipe cleaner twisted into a circle, so you have pretty much seen one.

The Falcon has been made since the '30s for a reason. I think that Falcons smoke pretty great, they always smoke dry to the bottom and cleaning is easy. Nice for a travel pipe, light, and one stem with a few bowls will take up less space than an equivalent number of regular pipes. There are plenty of people who are big fans of the Falcon pipes, though I haven't seen too many on this forum.

There are a few sizes of bowls, the Standard range, and Classic range (large), also Bantam (tiny). I like the smaller bowls in the Standard range like the Billiard and Dublin.

Every English pipe smoker must have had at least one of these. I've got one with a custom meerschaum bowl. My very first pipe was a relative of these - an Alco. A slightly smaller pipe made by the same manufacturer for the "younger market". Mine still gets action over 30 years since I bought it. I got several more Alco pipes over the years.

As has been said, they were popular and long-lived for a reason. They work.

I never bother with the Dry-Rings or the 4mm (maybe 6mm??) fibre filters that the Alco International uses (although both are still available and I have some). The custom was just to unscrew the bowl while smoking and shake out the stem. I think the official advice is that this should not be done, but no damage has resulted for me. The screw still works as new.
    Last edited by steinr1; 03-27-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by GlassEye View Post
    The filter, "Dry Ring" as they call them, is just a piece of pipe cleaner twisted into a circle, so you have pretty much seen one.
    Guess I've been making my own all along. My homemades cover only about 1/3 of the well diameter, placed on the far end, away from the draught hole. Keeps it dry and hassle free. I don't spend much time where I could easily unload a well full of tobacco gronk into the surrounds, so it's the custom fitted pipe cleaner pieces or I probably wouldn't smoke it.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney