Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is this rational?

This is a discussion on Is this rational? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Or am I falling to McClelland's marketing? My current TAD list has a 100g tin of FMOTB and another of ...

Is this rational?

Or am I falling to McClelland's marketing?

My current TAD list has a 100g tin of FMOTB and another of FM's Cellar. I have not tried either and latakia blends aren't part of my normal rotation. I also don't care for the McClelland tomato/vinegar notes found in most of their virginias including, I assume, these blends.

However, given the (dubious) connection to Tolkien and the idea that there is a frog named Frog Morton (which breaks the Tolkien connection) smoking and enjoying these blends, I feel like I'm letting myself down by not ordering them.

Yeah, yeah first world problem I know, but someone please help me decide if these are worth taking up about 25% of my next order.
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Re: Is this rational?

They are very good blends. However, I am a McClelland's fan (and kind of like the ketchup/vinegar note they all have). I am also a big latakia and English/Balkan tobacco fan.

I have not yet tried FM Cellar, and I can't find anyone that has it in stock (scratch that, I just found some online and placed my first order). However, I have had all of the other three FM blends, and regularly stock them. I am a huge fan!

What is your timeline for ordering them? If you have time to wait and want to sample them before placing an order, I can get a small sample of FM, FMOTB, and FMOTT to you to try before you commit to a full tin.

A common symptom of TAD is the irrational belief that if you don't place an order right away you will (for a variety of reasons) never get a chance to order it again...

With that in mind my timeframe isn't really as limited as I feel it should be.

I appreciate the offer of the samples, but for now I've talked myself out of ordering them. Amazing how therapeutic a simple post can be...

I think you mentioned that you were going to order all the variants of this tobacco. I recognise this as a pretty common male borderline ASD trait. Don't worry, most of us with external gonads suffer from it. Some more than others.

My kids (the younger of whom is autistic, so I have a standard to measure ASD from) were interested in the egregious Harry Potter movies when the first 5 or so came out. I KNEW that I would buy the rest on DVD when they came out regardless of whether they were still interested or not. Knowing that even one (particularly one...) was missing from the set woud have eaten at my very soul. I'm certainly more on than off the spectrum.

Maybe not rational, but definitely understandable.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Read The Gormenghast Trilogy, then order lots of rope and twists. Frog Morton and Sauron will seem as nothing more than weak tea for a child's tea party.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Read The Gormenghast Trilogy, then order lots of rope and twists. Frog Morton and Sauron will seem as nothing more than weak tea for a child's tea party.
    Jim,

I gave Titus Groan a fair try, but it didn't work for me.

The bulk of my education and background is technical. The only significant academic wanderings were a class in American Poetry and another on Theories of Authorship. To that end I'm pretty much stuck in a few narrow genres. There just wasn't enough in Titus Groan to keep me locked in. EDIT: But Jim I did indeed try, I think my tastes are not as mature as yours.

Robert,

I was only going to order FMOTB and FM's Cellar, but you understand my point. If the order doesn't include these then somehow the world will be a lesser place - that's the basic feeling.
    Last edited by Stonedog; 03-28-2013 at 10:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    Jim,

I gave Titus Groan a fair try, but it didn't work for me.
    I loved Titus Groan and Gormenghast, less so Titus Alone, but I'm a language freak. Charles Dickens is to Mervyn Peake as Johnny Weismuller is to Michael Phelps. Tolkien is about a 9th grade reading level. I loved reading the ring trilogy and The Hobbit, back in the late '60s, but it's a different thing entirely from the Gormenghast trilogy, which is very, very dense reading, something like reading level 15. Tolkien is astonishingly good storytelling, while Peake is astonishingly good writing -- and drawings! Great artist, who also did the illustrations for Stevenson's The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

The opening paragraph of Gormenghast knocks me out:

Gormenghast, that is, the main massing of the original stone, taken by itself would have displayed a certain ponderous architectural quality were it possible to have ignored the circumfusion of those mean dwellings that swarmed like an epidemic around its outer walls. They sprawled over the sloping arch, each one half way over its neighbour until, held back by the castle ramparts, the innermost of these hovels laid hold on the great walls, clamping themselves thereto like limpets to a rock. These dwellings, by ancient law, were granted this chill intimacy with the stronghold that loomed above them. Over their irregular roofs would fall throughout the seasons, the shadows of time-eaten buttresses, of broken and lofty turrets, and, most enormous of all, the shadow of the Tower of Flints. This tower, patched unevenly with black ivy, arose like a mutilated finger from among the fists of knuckled masonry and pointed blasphemously at heaven. At night the owls made of it an echoing throat; by day it stood voiceless and cast its long shadow.

I'd donate a kidney to have been the one to write just that one string of sentences. You definitely need some Happy Bogie to counteract that kind of Gothic gloom!

Full grown Puffer Fish

Ha. Okay, I was really into the Gormenghast books when I was at university. Yeah, Titus Alone was a bit off the track, I read somewhere that Mervyn Peake was dying when he wrote it and not in a good way. Not up to his usual technical standard.
    If I could write poetry, I'd be a poet. I can't, so I smoke a pipe instead ....

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    Or am I falling to McClelland's marketing?

My current TAD list has a 100g tin of FMOTB and another of FM's Cellar. I have not tried either and latakia blends aren't part of my normal rotation. I also don't care for the McClelland tomato/vinegar notes found in most of their virginias including, I assume, these blends.

However, given the (dubious) connection to Tolkien and the idea that there is a frog named Frog Morton (which breaks the Tolkien connection) smoking and enjoying these blends, I feel like I'm letting myself down by not ordering them.

Yeah, yeah first world problem I know, but someone please help me decide if these are worth taking up about 25% of my next order.
    Yes it's irrational. But so many people talk about FM I couldn't help myself either. I have very little doubt I'll dislike it, but I HAD to know....

Quote Originally Posted by rogermugs View Post
    I have very little doubt I'll dislike it, but I HAD to know....

Young Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Irfan View Post
    Ha. Okay, I was really into the Gormenghast books when I was at university. Yeah, Titus Alone was a bit off the track, I read somewhere that Mervyn Peake was dying when he wrote it and not in a good way. Not up to his usual technical standard.
    Agree...

And back on topic, I've been thinking this since I originally saw the thread. If you have to ask if something is rational, then it's probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Well said!
    It is quite a three pipe problem, and I beg that you won't speak to me for fifty minutes.

Puffer Fish with some spikes neonblackjack's Avatar

Man, I love the conversation that happens over here on the pipe side of Puff. You guys are great.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Of course it's irrational, that's part of the fun!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast