Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Basket Pipes

This is a discussion on Basket Pipes within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by MarkC I'm one who is not an eBay fan for pipes. I've never heard anyone say "wow, ...

Re: Basket Pipes

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I'm one who is not an eBay fan for pipes. I've never heard anyone say "wow, this is a great pipe; I think I'll sell it on eBay". I have, on the other hand, heard people say, "well, if it sucks, I'll just sell it on eBay."
    On the other hand, I think a lot of the pipes for sale are from, "Uncle Dread died last week and he had all these stinking pipes and closets full of tobacco. Maybe we can get something for them on ebay, rather than just tossing them out."

I must say, though, "lightly smoked" is always suspicious.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Woops I meant to post a picture of my basket pipe. For some reason it didn't work. Let me try again.

Basket Pipes-2013-03-01_23-38-08_692.jpg
    It's a smaller pipe

Basket Pipes-2013-03-09_13-23-10_773.jpg

Yeah, some of those big lots of pipes are tempting. And I have bought pipes on eBay before; my Kaywoodie and my very first Stanwell came from eBay, so I'm not dead set against it. Just leery, I guess...
    ********.com

Yes some buys on Ebay are like what you been smoking (Surely not Pipe Tobacco) still waiting for this old lady to take off a Gold Coast that she has set on a Buy it now for 45.00 and listed as a Gold Crest Medico. Yes that is a Pipe I look for on Ebay from timeto time is the Gold Crest from Medico. So when I seen hers I was like awwww Granny don't know that isn't a Gold Crest, lets be a nice person and let her know so she don't look totally nuts on her pipe listings. Her reply was I am away from home right now at my Grand daughters and I can't look right now to see if it is listed right or not. Well she has since then returned home and it is still listed that way. For me it is no mistake and just put her in my DOn't buy from list seeing she sales collectibles I know better. Kind of upsets me to see someone that would take advantage of others just cause one or 100 neg feedback wouldn't hurt their 100% positive rating. I have loads of nice pipes that I found on Ebay. Stanwell, Savinelli Roma and a Winslow Smooth Bent brandy that paid for the lot. I thought it was a free hand when I first looked at it. Missing the stem, a friend that was visiting had to have it and paid me what I paid for the lot. It was worth more but. Rare finds are Rare when I find them I get all happy. oh yeah and a Ben Wade I found as well. again another I thought was a Free hand pipe.
    For the Love of (__[@}___Cigars__}}}}}
    "I didn't play at collecting. No cigar anywhere was safe from me."~E G R

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

Yeah, some of those big lots of pipes are tempting. And I have bought pipes on eBay before; my Kaywoodie and my very first Stanwell came from eBay, so I'm not dead set against it. Just leery, I guess...
    I'm watching this one... Edward’s Straight Grain Bent Apple Pipe New Unsmoked

it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

Puffer Fish with some spikes

While I wont put it up against many brand name pipes, the $20 I spent on a basket model from the local B&M has served me faithfully for a couple years.
    Being only $20, it also didnt pain me to try my hand at rustification and staining.
    Nicley mated shank/stem, fits well in the hand, ample space for an hour+ smoke, great smoker, and a properly drilled draft hole- its hard to beat that.

I'm one who is not an eBay fan for pipes. I've never heard anyone say "wow, this is a great pipe; I think I'll sell it on eBay". I have, on the other hand, heard people say, "well, if it sucks, I'll just sell it on eBay."
    Things might well not be the same in the US, but in Europe, where there is no "mass" resurgence of interest in pipes, like there appears to be over the pond, estate pipes are usually a good bet. The stock for these are in large part from "Estates". Dead folk's stuff. I've had hardlly a bad pipe in over 400 buys. I always reckon that the bad ones will have burnt out, cracked or been flung in the bin long before they get to me.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

I made out like a bandit on the basket pipes at my local shop last year. They bought the stock from another shop in the state that was closing up due to the owners retirement. I scored a few Savinellis and a couple of Israeli made Alphas in practically new condition.

That being said, the basket there lately consists of the usual no-name pipes that feel pretty poorly made. It's fun to dig through them though. Ebay has been my method lately for estate pipes, and hopefully I'll get access to the classifieds on Puff at some point. I seem to remember reading that when you are worthy of viewing the classifieds, you will be notified, but can't remember the exact procedure.
    It is quite a three pipe problem, and I beg that you won't speak to me for fifty minutes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2