Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

getting flakey

This is a discussion on getting flakey within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; In my noob sample trade I received a nice selection of flakes, and despite the fact that I burned through ...

getting flakey

In my noob sample trade I received a nice selection of flakes, and despite the fact that I burned through a lot of them trying to figure out how to get them to smoke well, I have really enjoyed them. I've tried Orlik Golden Sliced, Stokkebye Lux Navy, and SG Best brown and 1792. I am going to be picking myself up some tins of my own of these for sure but I was looking for some recommendations on some fuller/stronger flakes to try. I have difficulty with light flavors, so tend to gravitate to heavier hitting tobaccos I have noticed.

Any flake tips you all have to give? Do ropes have similar slow burning qualities as flakes do?

I only have a few cobs at the moment, and have been contemplating getting a first briar. I've read that a good flake pipe has a smaller (relative) bowl and tapered bottom. Is this something to seriously consider for the flake interested piper?

If any of you would be interested in a tin-for-samples exchange send me a message and we can work something out.

Re: getting flakey

Ropes, twists and plugs are basically uncut flakes. Get an inexpensive cigar cutter and you'll be able to create your own flakes/coins from them. As for stronger flakes, ropes, twists and plugs, here are a few good ones containing some umbladee:

Irish Flake
    Bayou Morning Flake (perique in abundance)
    Brown (Happy) Bogie
    Black XX twist
    Sweet Rum Twist
    Jack[sic]Knife Plug (hint for GL Pease -- there's no space in the word "jackknife")

Somewhat less potent, but decent Vitamin N are Full Virginia Flake, Scotch Flake Aromatic and Erinmore Flake.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

I adore flakes, love them over ribbon cut. a good flake pipe too me is a small bowl with a tapered end. Like a bent dublin. there are many way to prepare flakes. fold and stuff, musketball, fully rubbed out. my suggestion to you is experminet as what way you prepare flakes.
    A couple of suggestion, alot of flakes out of the tin seem dry but I would let the flake dry for bout 20-30 mins. When you pack your bowl make it a loose fit, the flake will expand, also you want to leave a pocket of air at the bottom of your bowl, to have a good draw.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodwillTKE View Post
    Any flake tips you all have to give? Do ropes have similar slow burning qualities as flakes do?

I only have a few cobs at the moment, and have been contemplating getting a first briar. I've read that a good flake pipe has a smaller (relative) bowl and tapered bottom. Is this something to seriously consider for the flake interested piper?
    There are definitely different pipes for different tobaccos, but there are no hard and fast rules that I know of, or more importantly, have experienced. I do tend to go for a slightly smaller bowl for flakes in general. Huge dustbins are reserved for ribbon-cut tobaccos. But I also have exceptions to this.

Ropes do tend to smoke very slow and surprisingly cool. I favour rubbing out the cut coins, but pack relatively tight. Some just drop the coins in whole and hardly pack down. Chaqun an son gout...

So... Just follow the above rules to the letter and you can't go wrong.

"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Irish Flake
    Bayou Morning Flake (perique in abundance)
    Jack[sic]Knife Plug (hint for GL Pease -- there's no space in the word "jackknife")
    I love these (and haven't tried the others) and Irish Flake is a huge favorite! As for a flake pipe, I use my MM country gentleman but I'm not a fan of the fold and stuff method. I just end up rubbing them out and loading normally. Just my $.02.

EDIT: For the Jackkinfe Plug I recommend a hacksaw to cut a piece off and a food processor to rub it out! It can be a cruel mistress in the prep department
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

So, here is another flake question. I have been smoking a lot of University flake and Best Brown flake in my MM cobs. I don't know what model, but the local drug stores always have the same shape, so all my pipes are the same. A whole flake seems difficult to get loaded with fold and stuff, I have to really smash it in hard. Lately I have been breaking off about 1/4 off the long side and setting it aside. I then fold the remaining length in half long ways, then kinda of fold that into a "Z" shape and stuff it in. At this point it is rather loose. I pack it down a bit and then rub out the remaining 1/4 piece and pack it on top as I have found this helps me to get it lit beter.

It seems like almost every bowl burnes straight down the center of the pipe and eventually goes out. I then have to use my pipe tool to break up the remaining flake around the outer rim of the bowl, stir it up a bit, tamp, and relight. Is this typical, or is there some way I can modify my packing method to get a more even burn down the bowl? It is not a big deal, just seems odd to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodwillTKE View Post
    It seems like almost every bowl burnes straight down the center of the pipe and eventually goes out. I then have to use my pipe tool to break up the remaining flake around the outer rim of the bowl, stir it up a bit, tamp, and relight. Is this typical, or is there some way I can modify my packing method to get a more even burn down the bowl? It is not a big deal, just seems odd to me.
    You might want to try Musketballing.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

You know, I read that thread a few months ago and forgot all about it. Thanks, I'll play around with it a bit.