Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Samuel Gawith To Discontinue 1 Pound Packages?

This is a discussion on Samuel Gawith To Discontinue 1 Pound Packages? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Just came across this on Mars Cigars FB page: "My sales rep for the US importer for Sam Gawith just ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Samuel Gawith To Discontinue 1 Pound Packages?

Just came across this on Mars Cigars FB page:

"My sales rep for the US importer for Sam Gawith just told me that Sam Gawith is dropping the one pound units and will only be sending tins and 250g units in the future. I'm somewhat in a state of shock....."

If this comes true I thought some of you might like to know when planning your purchases.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Re: Samuel Gawith To Discontinue 1 Pound Packages?

Won't affect me; I didn't realize their stuff came in one pound units. All I've ever bought is tins and the quarter kilo bricks.

But that's a frightening quotation you're using in your signature!
    ********.com

notch one up for old age catching up with you mark....doh

It's not just catching up with me; at this point, it's trying to lap me...
    ********.com

well am sure you have a nice stash of fvf already mark

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

Could this be because of their well known reputation allowing them to limit customers to spend more for their goods, or a problem with fetching enough tobacco to keep up with the demand?
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

Surely this is simply an opportunity to buy two 250g lots and get 10% more than usual.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

think they are just being cleaver and greedy is all.

Quote Originally Posted by splattttttt View Post
    Could this be because of their well known reputation allowing them to limit customers to spend more for their goods, or a problem with fetching enough tobacco to keep up with the demand?
    It is not a matter of limiting production or supply of tobacco. It is capacity. They are producing their products in an old mill using old equipment, some of it dating back to the 1700s. They are peddling as fast as they can.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Surely this is simply an opportunity to buy two 250g lots and get 10% more than usual.
    so 500 gm is cheaper than their 1lb bag? That means they're loosing money. I don't get it?
    NMD, you're right! Cheaper than 1lb at 250gn x 2. Though Mars has already begun their pounder reduction on some blends.
    Last edited by splattttttt; 04-08-2013 at 05:10 PM.
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by splattttttt View Post
    so 500 gm is cheaper tha their 1lb bag? That means they're loosing money. I don't get it?
    I expect it will be about 10% more expensive. You will have the benefit of having more of their lovely tobacco, however.

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    I expect it will be about 10% more expensive. You will have the benefit of having more of their lovely tobacco, however.
    Look at my last post above 1.637 oz more with a $4.50 savings over a one pound bag.

Personally, I never liked the 1-lb boxes (but its been a while, years, since I last saw one).

The 250gm bags are sealed airtight, the boxes are simply wrapped in wax paper. I've always received dried out bricks that had to be re-hydrated upon arrival. Perhaps because the bags are metric them brits punishing us for driving on the wrong side of the road, or having our light switches on upside down.

And I really don't care if they come in 1-lb, 1-oz, 1-thimble sizes - I just WANT more of FVF to be easily available!
    Ron aka RJ aka RJPuffs
    --
    Old age isn't too bad, when you consider the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by RJpuffs View Post
    Personally, I never liked the 1-lb boxes (but its been a while, years, since I last saw one).

The 250gm bags are sealed airtight, the boxes are simply wrapped in wax paper. I've always received dried out bricks that had to be re-hydrated upon arrival. Perhaps because the bags are metric them brits punishing us for driving on the wrong side of the road, or having our light switches on upside down.

And I really don't care if they come in 1-lb, 1-oz, 1-thimble sizes - I just WANT more of FVF to be easily available!
    Not our fault you got the blueprints inverted when you eventually decided to try and use the motorcar. How do you guys manage to draw a sword when driving in that riduculous fashion?

For sage advice, try

Why do some countries drive on the right and others on the left ?