Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

On personal blending...

This is a discussion on On personal blending... within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; How many of you enjoy doing it? Now that my collection's grown, I'm having such a ball at this. Most ...

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

On personal blending...

How many of you enjoy doing it?
    Now that my collection's grown, I'm having such a ball at this.
    Most noteworthy is the Tambo and straight Cavendish as a base.
    A 50/50 blend of these two seems to work amazingly when added to other stand alone tobacco or other already blends.
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

Re: On personal blending...

I don't do it much, but I do find myself mixing either Tambo, or more frequently, Five Brothers with my "lesser strength" tobaccos. Especially aromatics that have a good flavor but not much kick. They both add a little spiciness that I like.

I've tried my hand at blending, took a virginia blend I had and added some orinital leaf. Not bad, but it needs something else heh

Unless I feel like something in particular I do it often. I have a bail top jar that I mix up 2 or 3 differing tobaccos in as my go to mild daily blend.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    I don't do it much, but I do find myself mixing either Tambo, or more frequently, Five Brothers with my "lesser strength" tobaccos. Especially aromatics that have a good flavor but not much kick. They both add a little spiciness that I like.
    This. I also like doing the other way around - toss a dash of Devil's Holiday on top of a stout VA blend and it is smoooooooottthhhhh....
    Pro Patria Vigilans................... My tobacco cellar

I almost never do my own blending. I figure there's a reason Greg Pease can make money at this and I can't. On the other hand, I do have to score some more Red Ribbon to mix with HOTW; that one was pretty good!
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I almost never do my own blending. I figure there's a reason Greg Pease can make money at this and I can't. On the other hand, I do have to score some more Red Ribbon to mix with HOTW; that one was pretty good!
    Mark, I suppose if it were your business (like GL Pease) to blend tobaccos for the masses, you may have at your disposal large vats of infinite tobaccos to blend with at any given time.
    Like many great chefs, past or present... There are many novice, or a particular individual here and there that I feel might rival, or at the very least, can create that dish that if compared to, or if pit against the best that Rene Redzepi has to offer, it just might equal, or outright surpass that of said professional master chef.

Obviously this thread is not here to see which of us can create the worlds best pipe tobacco blend.
    Just one that you personally are pleased with smoking, or better yet... One that is enjoyable to your own individual taste that you haven't found yet. Perhaps your holy grail ( :
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

I smoke as much mixed up tobacco as I do straight. I don't dilute Stonehaven, FVF LF, Ennerdale or any of the "good" flakes, although they get smoked in random combinations from the paper plate that catches my fill spills. I mix PA/SWR/CH with 5B, ropes, twists, Kendal's Kentucky or what have you. I also almost never smoke an aromatic straight up, so more PA, KK, 5B or random crap off the paper plate comes into play to dilute it down. I seem to be after a Vitamin N sweet spot, sort of like a mixed drink, where too much booze or mixer is to be avoided, although I smoke a lot of PA straight up, too.

And then there's the Dart Mix and the Serial Aromatics Pouch, both tending to be the almost same thing these days, but the SAP contains more scraps from the paper plate than the Dart Mix. The Dart Mix has become something of a predictable staple, about half KK, 1/4 Three Blind Moose and 1/4 PA. I smoke the Dart Mix exclusively at the dartboard, the SAP in the car.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    I smoke as much mixed up tobacco as I do straight. I don't dilute Stonehaven, FVF LF, Ennerdale or any of the "good" flakes, although they get smoked in random combinations from the paper plate that catches my fill spills. I mix PA/SWR/CH with 5B, ropes, twists, Kendal's Kentucky or what have you. I also almost never smoke an aromatic straight up, so more PA, KK, 5B or random crap off the paper plate comes into play to dilute it down. I seem to be after a Vitamin N sweet spot, sort of like a mixed drink, where too much booze or mixer is to be avoided, although I smoke a lot of PA straight up, too.

And then there's the Dart Mix and the Serial Aromatics Pouch, both tending to be the almost same thing these days, but the SAP contains more scraps from the paper plate than the Dart Mix. The Dart Mix has become something of a predictable staple, about half KK, 1/4 Three Blind Moose and 1/4 PA. I smoke the Dart Mix exclusively at the dartboard, the SAP in the car.
    Jim, I think a manifesto describing you smoking ritual is in order.
    Thanks for your contribution to this thread!

Quote Originally Posted by splattttttt View Post
    Jim, I think a manifesto describing you smoking ritual is in order.
    I think that was it.

The occasional foray into attempting to recreate a lost blend have been my only attempts at this art. Always unsuccessful. Also a couple of times when I've mixed in some unpalatable tobacco with some more acceptable stuff - but that's not really blending, just trying to rescue expensive leaf. I feel it's difficult and unlikely to result in something as "complete" as a professional blend. Although the headline blend often sounds simple ("Virginia with a touch of Perique" or some such), the reality is probably much more complex. "Virginia" covers a multiple of sins in itself. Beyond the few basic named types, there are tobaccos from different sources, sauced with different essences, stoved or unstoved, etc. Professional blenders have the opportunity to add small quantities of many different tobaccos the get things "just right" and ensure consistency that the amateur simply can't match. The "simple" OTC pouch brand Clan (which I despise...) is advertised as using 14 different tobaccos.

Not to say that this isn't fun and may even result in your perfect blend. We're generally not talking about creating a new blend from scratch; just making an adjustment to an existing one. I'm grateful for the combined centuries of experience that the traditional blenders use in the production of their fare. I'm also exceedingly lazy.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

I don't have anything against the idea, Jack, I just think we're all better off if I don't...
    ********.com

Actually, I did take a short sojourn into actual blending a few years back. Got some perique, Latakia, cubed burley, a few of the bulk McClelland Virginias...never had anything worthwhile come of it. I used up the perique adding it to the Paper Plate Potpourri and whatever nonsense was in the pouch at the time. Still have the Latakia and big containers of plain burley. I am a tobacco blending failure. Tobacco mixing, however, seems both easy and worthwhile. as long as the mixes make sense. Not much point in combining Nightcap with Frog Morton, for example, and I'm sure both would suffer from encounter.

No longer a community member.

I like to stir together pinches from a few different tins now and again, usually after experimenting with a parfait using them first. As far as buying straight leaf varieties and blending my own- not a chance. I would rather buy something and know that it will be of a certain quality than try to blend my own and throw my somewhat hard-earned money away.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I don't have anything against the idea, Jack, I just think we're all better off if I don't...
    I can appreciate that Mark.
    I have nothing but the utmost respect for the brands we enjoy daily. Truth be told though; if I had all the high quality whole leaf cigar tobacco I wanted at my disposal, I'd roll my own sticks.
    On the other hand... Making wine and beer?, I'm happy to just go out and buy what I like because one, I don't think that it would be worth the hassle. And two, since I did try making beer once. And it was no fun at all.
    So I understand where you're coming from ( :
    That said, I would love to try to carve my own pipe some day.
    Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Actually, I did take a short sojourn into actual blending a few years back. Got some perique, Latakia, cubed burley, a few of the bulk McClelland Virginias...never had anything worthwhile come of it. I used up the perique adding it to the Paper Plate Potpourri and whatever nonsense was in the pouch at the time. Still have the Latakia and big containers of plain burley. I am a tobacco blending failure. Tobacco mixing, however, seems both easy and worthwhile. as long as the mixes make sense. Not much point in combining Nightcap with Frog Morton, for example, and I'm sure both would suffer from encounter.
    Jim, what I've done with that Tambo and straight Cavendish, along with the last third being what P&C calls "Best of the Rest" mixture that happens to taste mostly like a combination of VA and Burly has been cellared; primarily because the sample I tried was very good.
    I'm hoping this will further improve with age.
    Note that the mixture was made mostly from straight tobaccos, with the exception of what came from P&C which I purchased about a month ago. Not an aromatic as some may have reported, but basic non the less.
    I'd love to find some straight Perique for my next hand at this next.

Like when in the kitchen, or with any other action I enjoy enjoy, exploring the possibilities at trying certain things for my self can have its rewards... Sometimes LOL

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast