Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Stem Replacement

This is a discussion on Stem Replacement within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by splattttttt His bowls don't come to a taper. Instead he bores his flat. I wondered if this ...

Maturing Puffer Fish trenschler's Avatar

Re: Stem Replacement

Quote Originally Posted by splattttttt View Post
    His bowls don't come to a taper. Instead he bores his flat. I wondered if this helps complete the burn better, rather than last of the tobacco end up getting snuffed out due to the restriction at the bottom.
    I don't think any of the ones of his that I have are like that.

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trenschler View Post
    I don't think any of the ones of his that I have are like that.
    Maybe not. But they're advertized that way. Maybe it's a recent thing he's doing now? Anyway, thanks for contributing.
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

Maybe not. But they're advertized that way. Maybe it's a recent thing he's doing now? Anyway, thanks for contributing.
    Is that his "Old West" line? I don't have one of those.

Is that his "Old West" line? I don't have one of those.
    It's what pipesandcigars.com uses to describe Tim West pipes. I've also read this somewhere else at some point. Not on pipepedia, which is sought of surprising~
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

His bowls don't come to a taper. Instead he bores his flat. I wondered if this helps complete the burn better, rather than last of the tobacco end up getting snuffed out due to the restriction at the bottom.
    I've got a few pipes that have flat bottomed bowls, but they tend to be "system" ones that also have the draw hole pointing downwards. Can't say that I've noticed them being any better than a conventionally shaped bowl. I'd lay odds that if this was a real advantage it surely would be the standard. It's probably easier to shape a bowl this way and would have been adopted by all manufacturers long ago.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

It's what pipesandcigars.com uses to describe Tim West pipes. I've also read this somewhere else at some point. Not on pipepedia, which is sought of surprising~
    Interesting. I'll ask him about it the next time I see him.

Cool, ask how my custom Ropp is comin along

Cool, ask how my custom Ropp is comin along
    LOL! I'll do that, but he'll probably have it done before I see him again. What all are you having done? It usually only takes him about a week.

LOL! I'll do that, but he'll probably have it done before I see him again. What all are you having done? It usually only takes him about a week.
    originally... Recork the mortice. And yes, one week. So I asked him if he would replace the shank with a bamboo

Never mind; I was responding to a misread post...
    ********.com

Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    I've got a few pipes that have flat bottomed bowls, but they tend to be "system" ones that also have the draw hole pointing downwards. Can't say that I've noticed them being any better than a conventionally shaped bowl. I'd lay odds that if this was a real advantage it surely would be the standard. It's probably easier to shape a bowl this way and would have been adopted by all manufacturers long ago.
    I bought four John Bessai pipes a few weeks ago. They all have flat bottomed bowls, and they aren't system pipes. They smoke really well, although I wouldn't like to claim that that's because of the aforementioned flat bottomed bowls.
    If I could write poetry, I'd be a poet. I can't, so I smoke a pipe instead ....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2