Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Stem Replacement

This is a discussion on Stem Replacement within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I picked up an old estate at my local brick and mortar the other day. It's a 7 1/2" sandblast ...

Young Puffer Fish

Stem Replacement

I picked up an old estate at my local brick and mortar the other day. It's a 7 1/2" sandblast Canadian and is going to take some work to bring it back to life but when I saw it the old girl kind of "spoke" to me and I had to bring it home. The real problem with the pipe is the stem. Whoever owned it previously was a pretty sever clencher and has actually bitten through both sides of the stem (I can see daylight through the two holes) and continued to bit it until the hole on the top caused it to crack all the way through the button. The stem is trashed and is going to have to be replaced.

I'm going to be doing the clean-up and re-wax myself over the next couple of weeks but need some recommendations from some of the experts here on where to send it for the stem replacement. I'm sure there are dozens of places I can send it but wanted to get some recommendations first. I'm pretty infatuated with the Cumberland stems I see on some pipes and don't see a reason not to get one made for this pipe since it's a replacement. Any suggestions on who does a good Cumberland replacement stem will be most appreciated.

Re: Stem Replacement

Well, unless you send it to a pipemaker that also does repair (like Mark Tinsky) I doubt anyone will have cumberland rod stock lying around. But if you want a high quality replacement stem you can't go wrong with George Dibos Precision Smoking Pipe Rejuvenation & Repair
    Just be prepared to wait a while.

Full grown Puffer Fish

I had Dave of Walker Briar replace a broken stem on a pipe, as well as do a full restoration. I think the cost was around $24 for the stem. Dave has gone into semi-retirement now, but Mike Myers has taken over the repair side of his business. You can have a full restoration done for $34, which includes resanding, buffing, staining, reaming, opening airways, the lot. I've got to be quite good at restoring myself, but there's no comparison with the results I get. When Dave finished the restoration, it really did look like a brand new pipe, except it probably smoked better: Dave did great things with the airways.

Walker Pipe Repair

Whoops. I just looked at the pricelist, a handcut cumberland stem replacement is quite pricey, at $60.
    If I could write poetry, I'd be a poet. I can't, so I smoke a pipe instead ....

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Irfan View Post
    Whoops. I just looked at the pricelist, a handcut cumberland stem replacement is quite pricey, at $60.

Eeekkkk! That is a little pricey and actually says $60 AND UP. Still walker will go on my list of considerations along with any other shops that do cumberlands. I might have to end up dropping some serious coin but I really think this old pipe will be a real looker with a good clean-up and a Cumberland stem. I don't think the pipe is particularly valuable but I can't really tell who made it. It's marked as "G. Smith & Sons, Charing Cross Road" which is a (now defunct it appears) tobacco shop in London so I suspect they had it made and then branded as a house pipe. The 4 1/2" Canadian shank on this one really makes it an interesting pipe for my collection and I think a Cumberland would really pop on such a long pipe. Thanks for the suggestion and if anyone else has any other suggestions for shops that do cumberlands then please don't hesitate to chime in!

Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Torque View Post
    The 4 1/2" Canadian shank on this one really makes it an interesting pipe for my collection and I think a Cumberland would really pop on such a long pipe. Thanks for the suggestion
    One of my favorite pipes was a bent Malaga that I bought on eBay for $7, with a broken stem. It looked like it was barely worth saving. I sent it to Walker Briar, it cost $60 to have the new stem done and full restoration. I still think it's now worth more than $70.
    If I could write poetry, I'd be a poet. I can't, so I smoke a pipe instead ....

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

I sent a Ropp to Tim West at J. H. Lowe Bits for some custom work. I don't see Cumbeland on his list, but you can talk to him.
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

It's marked as "G. Smith & Sons, Charing Cross Road" which is a (now defunct it appears) tobacco shop in London so I suspect they had it made and then branded as a house pipe.
    This is the famous old Smith's Snuff Shop. I thought it was still just about going, albeit under new (and by some accounts inferior) management. They used to do some fine own blend snuffs - those are sadly missed.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    This is the famous old Smith's Snuff Shop. I thought it was still just about going, albeit under new (and by some accounts inferior) management. They used to do some fine own blend snuffs - those are sadly missed.
    I did a little research and it appears they went out of business a couple of months ago. They do appear to be famous for their nasal snuffs as the snuffer forums is where I found the info on their closure.

I did a little research and it appears they went out of business a couple of months ago. They do appear to be famous for their nasal snuffs as the snuffer forums is where I found the info on their closure.
    Oh dear. It's been on my "list" to go and visit them again. I used to go quite regularly. One of the few places that you could get Manila cigars in years gone by.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Maturing Puffer Fish trenschler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splattttttt View Post
    I sent a Ropp to Tim West at J. H. Lowe Bits for some custom work. I don't see Cumbeland on his list, but you can talk to him.
    Yeah, I don't know if Tim does Cumberland, but I too can vouch for his fine work. Had a few repairs done by him as well as owning several Tim West pipes. Top notch!

Quote Originally Posted by trenschler View Post
    Yeah, I don't know if Tim does Cumberland, but I too can vouch for his fine work. Had a few repairs done by him as well as owning several Tim West pipes. Top notch!
    do you find the way Tim bores out the hole in a flattish shape as apposed to a conical shape is really all that noticeable? Makes a lot of sense, but I haven't been able to experience for my self yet.
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

Young Puffer Fish

Thanks for the leads guys As soon as I get this one cleaned up I'll contact them and see who can get me fixed up.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoB View Post
    Well, unless you send it to a pipemaker that also does repair (like Mark Tinsky) I doubt anyone will have cumberland rod stock lying around. But if you want a high quality replacement stem you can't go wrong with George Dibos
    Just be prepared to wait a while.
    Well I just ran across a stem replacement photo essay that George Dibos posted on a pipe maker's forum. He called the material he was using brindle vulcanite and is exactly what I was envisioning for this old pipe I want to have worked on. His end product was absolutely gorgeous as well, really nice work and has peaked my interest. I think I'll contact him and see how long the waiting list is. Really good call ChronoB, thanks for the tip

Maturing Puffer Fish trenschler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by splattttttt View Post
    do you find the way Tim bores out the hole in a flattish shape as apposed to a conical shape is really all that noticeable? Makes a lot of sense, but I haven't been able to experience for my self yet.
    I hadn't even noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by trenschler View Post
    I hadn't even noticed.
    His bowls don't come to a taper. Instead he bores his flat. I wondered if this helps complete the burn better, rather than last of the tobacco end up getting snuffed out due to the restriction at the bottom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast