Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Mac Baren's Mixture Scottish Blend unopened 7-oz. can (1970s or 1980s)...

This is a discussion on Mac Baren's Mixture Scottish Blend unopened 7-oz. can (1970s or 1980s)... within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Won it on E-Bay on Apr-06-13 from Seller bozartfarm Being rather new with premium brands, especially with the history behind ...

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

Mac Baren's Mixture Scottish Blend unopened 7-oz. can (1970s or 1980s)...

Won it on E-Bay on Apr-06-13 from Seller bozartfarm

Being rather new with premium brands, especially with the history behind them, I'm hoping you can confirm if this was a legit listing.
    Any help with this inquiry is greatly appreciated.

Description: Still has the plastic wrapped around its side from the shrink-warp sleeve it was taken from. Carries the distributor's sticker of Fireside Industries out of Moonachie, NJ, which is known to have had a relationship with Mac Baren from the 1970s into the 1980s. Notice that the Mac Baren's name carries the possessive apostrophe, a sign of a very old issuance. This can also bears the name of the Mac Baren company founder Harald Halberg, another detail you don't find on later issues. This unopened 7-oz. "new old stock" screw-top container, in excellent condition, is offered to the discriminating buyer strictly as a collectible artifact. Photos show the exact can you will receive.
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

Re: Mac Baren's Mixture Scottish Blend unopened 7-oz. can (1970s or 1980s)...

I'm no expert by any means, but I'm curious to see more of the tin. I see '7 ounces' on the sticker; what does the tin say?
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I'm no expert by any means, but I'm curious to see more of the tin. I see '7 ounces' on the sticker; what does the tin say?
    On a different eBay's vendors page from Germany who has three of these up for sale, I noticed that theirs did not have the shrink wrap, but they all had the paper seal between the lid and the bottom of the can. http://www.ebay.com/itm/300g-MAC-BAR...item4ac29c8543

Mark, there were two other images depicting the sides of the can. No dates.
    This one should arrive by Wed., as it coming from upstate New York.
    I plan on opening and smoking it. Like to try some? I'll even add a baggie with some of my now famous Tambo blend LOL
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

I've dealt with bozart. He seems legit and I found this on the interwebs...

"I emailed MacBaren & got the following response for Per Georg Jensen, product manager:

"I have tried to find out when the 7 oz tins were taken out of the US market, but unfortunately I have not been able
    to find the facts. When Fireside Industries were the importer of Mac Baren tobacco we were selling 3,5 oz and
    later on 7 oz tins in the US. When Fireside stopped as our importer we also stopped the 7 oz tins. This was in
    the late 70ties, so the tins has to be dated from early to late 70ties.""

Nice pick-up
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

Quote Originally Posted by splattttttt View Post
    Mark, there were two other images depicting the sides of the can. No dates.
    This one should arrive by Wed., as it coming from upstate New York.
    I plan on opening and smoking it. Like to try some? I'll even add a baggie with some of my now famous Tambo blend LOL

Well, I can't say I'm not curious. But not about the Tambo blend. Heck, I've got three of their cigars I still haven't had the nerve to try...

I was wondering how the weight was described on the actual tin rather than the sticker; 'ounces' on a tin or even gms and oz. together would indicate an older tin that just ounces, though I don't know if that's accurate for Mac Baren.
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by nikonnut View Post
    I've dealt with bozart. He seems legit and I found this on the interwebs...

"I emailed MacBaren & got the following response for Per Georg Jensen, product manager:

"I have tried to find out when the 7 oz tins were taken out of the US market, but unfortunately I have not been able
    to find the facts. When Fireside Industries were the importer of Mac Baren tobacco we were selling 3,5 oz and
    later on 7 oz tins in the US. When Fireside stopped as our importer we also stopped the 7 oz tins. This was in
    the late 70ties, so the tins has to be dated from early to late 70ties.""

Nice pick-up
    Thanks Christopher! You deservea at least an oz for sharing that info. Contact me through a pm and you shall be rewarded. For better or for worse lol.
    In case you're wondering.... I paid $27. + shipping. Call it luck!
    Well, I can't say I'm not curious. But not about the Tambo blend. Heck, I've got three of their cigars I still haven't had the nerve to try...
    I guess that some love it and some don't. I agree there's nothing classic about it in pipe form. You should put your big boy pants on and smoke the cigar.
    I snuffed the dust from the Tambo roll and it brought me back to a time during my childhood, when my Grandma (nonna) used to allow me a pinch of her stash on occasions.
    I was wondering how the weight was described on the actual tin rather than the sticker; 'ounces' on a tin or even gms and oz. together would indicate an older tin that just ounces, though I don't know if that's accurate for Mac Baren.
    I'm gonna assume 7oz for now because I could maybe have it last me through the year?

Scouring the www. for info on this product has led me to find a couple extra blurbs here and there regarding the progress as to this company's eclectic packaging traits.
    It seems as though they switched from Mac Baren's, to Mac Baren (note lack of apostrophe) at some point post 1980 releases.
    That was due to the company being bought out (not sure by whom). Some of the newer stock was said to have made it into the older cans left over from after the company was sold. Though that seems as though it should be the other way around, no? Old tobacco getting into newer cans?

During the eighties, the newer company began to add toppings to enhance flavor as listed in some publications.
    I have in my possession one can of each.
    Both sold by the same distributer in the states. And can not tell the difference from either one. Nor can I tell if a topping was added.
    I did notice there were some flake still intact in the older can but not the newer tin. Tin aroma was identical to me.
    Tastes like mostly Virginia with a touch of Cavendish with maybe some Burley? IDK!
    Mild room note and smooth smoke and good burn.