Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Kaywoodie Questions

This is a discussion on Kaywoodie Questions within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I haven't bought a Kaywoodie since the sixties, but was considering ordering one, either a Super Grain or a Flame ...

Kaywoodie Questions

I haven't bought a Kaywoodie since the sixties, but was considering ordering one, either a Super Grain or a Flame Grain. If I remember correctly they are both about five and a half to five and three quarters inches long. Is that right? Is there anything else I should know about the Super Grain and Flame Grain that would influence the decision between them?
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Re: Kaywoodie Questions

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    I haven't bought a Kaywoodie since the sixties, but was considering ordering one, either a Super Grain or a Flame Grain. If I remember correctly they are both about five and a half to five and three quarters inches long. Is that right? Is there anything else I should know about the Super Grain and Flame Grain that would influence the decision between them?
    I saw them on C.I while looking for non Cubans for a friend after i read your post. I found they are available new i would have never guessed.
    I thought they were only vintage items shows how much i know about pipes. A real noob anyways thanks to your post i learned something new.

Kaywoodie Flame Grain - Cigars International

Kaywoodie Super Grain - Cigars International
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Based on what I've read about them your best bet is to wait until you find an older Kaywoodie either being traded here or sold on ebay. I picked up a couple of 4 digit, WWII or earlier, Kaywoodies that smoke about as well as any pipe I own. And all said and done I'm into each of them for less than $20.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

i would like to see how the newer kaywoodies smoke. I mean i doubt that it's that bad. It's still briar and kaywoodie has been making pipes for a looooong time

I have a newer one and it smokes fine. It doesn't strike you down with awesomeness or anything, but it's a decent machine made pipe. I have to admit I've started watching out for those four digit puppies myself, though, just out of curiosity...
    ********.com

Do they still do the filter thing?

You mean the stinger thingie? Yeah, it's still there.
    ********.com

Chest Beating Pack Leader [OT] Loki's Avatar

my kaywoodie collection is mostly pre-ww2, not having smoked a new one I can't offer an honest opinion but based off some of the other cheaper pipes I've bought they still smoke fine.
    There's no time to explain get in the

Young Puffer Fish

I got a small one not too long ago and hated it honestly. The stupid metal filter thing made it gurgle almost instantly. I accidentally broke it the other night but I wouldn't really blame the pipe for that, I was being stupid.

Chest Beating Pack Leader [OT] Loki's Avatar

you can cut the stinger out.
    There's no time to explain get in the

iirc you can also pull it out.

I have a couple that i've cut the end off the stinger. Mine screw together with the stinger but smoke a lot better with the ball gone.

i wish kaywoodie would just the stinger gimmic

Quote Originally Posted by pipinho View Post
    i wish kaywoodie would just the stinger gimmic
    No firsthand knowledge but I think the Gold Series does not have the gimmicks, even has a plain push bit and pretty decent looking wood, all for about forty bucks.
    I don't always drink beer,,,
    OK, yes I do