Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Are high end pipes really worth it?

This is a discussion on Are high end pipes really worth it? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Worth it? If it is within your means and you enjoy it then it is....

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Re: Are high end pipes really worth it?

Worth it? If it is within your means and you enjoy it then it is.

Quote Originally Posted by pipinho View Post
    Worth it? If it is within your means and you enjoy it then it is.
    I think that perhaps the measure of the passion that some have for their hobbies is when they purchase something that from a budget point of view makes no sense at all.

I have an acquantance who bought an 1899 De Dion Bouton engined Beason Tricycle when he could in no way afford it. He lived in a garage with it to cut down on cost and cut everything else to a bare minimum (including food) to be able to afford the restoration it desperately needed. I thought he was mad, but for him, the sacrifices were definitely worth it.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    I think that perhaps the measure of the passion that some have for their hobbies is when they purchase something that from a budget point of view makes no sense at all.

I have an acquantance who bought an 1899 De Dion Bouton engined Beason Tricycle when he could in no way afford it. He lived in a garage with it to cut down on cost and cut everything else to a bare minimum (including food) to be able to afford the restoration it desperately needed. I thought he was mad, but for him, the sacrifices were definitely worth it.
    but the end of the day he could afford it, im talking about people who end up being in debt,family friction, job friction for "hobby obsessions"

I freely admit that I'm no expert on golf. But I know enough about the physics involved to be pretty certain that a cheapo set of clubs will probably give much the same service as a professional set in the a hands of an Amateur (in its stricty meaning) . You may need to be a bit lucky in getting a set with the face of the club finished perfectly (if this affects things...) - as with getting a high end pipe's construction from a basket pipe - and perhaps the better set will be lighter (or heavier - delete as appropriate for the better set) - as with a high end pipe's premium briar in an "anything will do" basket model. But for a hobby golfer (or pipe smoker), what of it? How much better are the doublessly more expensive set of clubs than the basic set - for a non professional? There are a great number of golfers on the forum. Does everyone take the line that expensive clubs are "simply not worth it"? As opposed to "I simply can't afford them". I suspect that most will at least covet a very expensive set of clubs. How would that enhance their golf hobby? Probably very little, if anything, in terms of performance. But in terms of enjoyment? I'll warrant that the keen amateur golfer would get a kick out of a professional set of clubs. And that in itself would make them "worth it" for them.
    I have struggled mightily with this analogy, but the golf club is far, far more complex than a pipe and I have been forced to delete in excess of 500 words in this post as hopelessly arcane meanderings in my efforts to shore up your impressions, impressions which I find largely correct. I will limit myself to the observation that one can buy a driver which costs over $3000, which is simply a driver, not an antique or one owned by Clint Eastwood or something -- just a normal driver. A serious golfer would never use one of these and no pro does, although they obviously could afford a new one every week. New drivers exactly like those played by touring professionals can be had for something like $600. Last year's model, "unsmoked" will cost less than half that and play exactly the same. No one with a handicap over 5 will be able to tell the difference in play between a driver made this year, last year, or 10 years ago. Even then, it won't matter very much in what you shoot.

A first line golf club is more like a Dr. Grabow than a Radice, though. They're all "factory pipes". Personalized club making went out of fashion something like 50 years ago. Your analogy would have been very much on mark in 1960, however.

In golf, expensive clubs (aka, this year's model), are definitely, positively, absolutely, not worth it, unless you have your name on your bag, at which point they're free anyhow.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Many here have protested that they aren't addicted to nicotine (though I doubt this) and stated "It's a hobby".
    You may doubt it, but the problem is in your head, not in my stating that I'm not addicted. I've been addicted to nicotine before; I smoked cigs for about twenty years before I managed to quit. I know what withdrawal symptoms feel like. When I can put down my pipe and not touch it for a few days when I feel like it, with no symptoms whatsoever, I know I'm not addicted. But on to the more important part of your post.

I've been curious about the reaction that high end pipes get on this forum as well. We seem to have people here that don't mind blowing several hundred dollars on a box of cigars that will last for twenty-five smokes who think spending the same amount on a pipe that will last forever is ridiculous. I think that's largely explained by the fact that the pipe section here is heavily skewed towards newer pipers; when you've just started and have a couple of cobs and a Dr. Grabow, it's hard to see the logic in blowing $500 on a pipe. On the other hand, if you've been smoking a pipe for twenty years and have a hundred pipes in various racks, why would the thought of buying another Dr. Grabow appeal to you? Eventually, in any hobby, people tend to drift away from quantity towards quality if they stick with it long enough.
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
    Forgive my newbishness but really what is the difference between this and this? I mean aside from the obvious exterior differences in finish what is the difference between a $300 pipe and a $60 pipe?

Don't get me wrong, that Ashton is beautiful. But what makes it worth that much money?
    Okay, I can't answer that one; I have no experiences with Ashton pipes. So, instead, let me compare two pipes I do know, a (at the time) $170 Cavicchi rusticated billiard to a (again, at the time) $52 EX Baronet bent billiard, from the same line as your second example.

1. The appearance: both pipes are rusticated, however the Cavicchi shows an attention to detail that blows the Savinelli away. A polished rim full of birds eye, nice rough rustication, a stem that matches up perfectly, and a beautiful polish over the entire pipe. The Baronet is nice, and it's close. There's nothing here to complain about from a $52 pipe; it's great. But next to the Cavicchi, it is obviously the cheaper pipe.

2. The performance: The basic difference between these two pipes is relights. The Baronet will go out quickly if neglected, and occasionally when not neglected. I mean sometimes you just have to look at it funny. With the Cavicchi, if the idea of smoking a bowl with no relights is something important to you (and I guess to some people it is), this is your pipe. Get distracted by few posts on Puff? Check first-you probably don't need to reach for your lighter. In other words, it's an easier smoke.

My feeling on this whole thing is, if you have less than a week's worth of pipes, stick to getting that basic rotation filled. Buy the Stanwell, or Baronet EX or whatever. Once you're not worried about over-smoking your pipes (which was a silly fear in the first place), try something a little higher in the chain and see what you think.
    ********.com

i was at my local tobbaconist the other day and complimented the elderly gentleman working there on his dunhill. We started talking about pipe prices and he was shocked that what dunhill was charging these days. Mind you, he said that dunhills were always expensive and of great quality, but he also said that for what they charge now that he won't be buying anymore. IMHO the high end pipes boom is due to pipemakers becomming "craftsmen" of "luxury goods" rather than simple producers.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    You may doubt it, but the problem is in your head, not in my stating that I'm not addicted. I've been addicted to nicotine before; I smoked cigs for about twenty years before I managed to quit. I know what withdrawal symptoms feel like. When I can put down my pipe and not touch it for a few days when I feel like it, with no symptoms whatsoever, I know I'm not addicted. But on to the more important part of your post.

I've been curious about the reaction that high end pipes get on this forum as well. We seem to have people here that don't mind blowing several hundred dollars on a box of cigars that will last for twenty-five smokes who think spending the same amount on a pipe that will last forever is ridiculous. I think that's largely explained by the fact that the pipe section here is heavily skewed towards newer pipers; when you've just started and have a couple of cobs and a Dr. Grabow, it's hard to see the logic in blowing $500 on a pipe. On the other hand, if you've been smoking a pipe for twenty years and have a hundred pipes in various racks, why would the thought of buying another Dr. Grabow appeal to you? Eventually, in any hobby, people tend to drift away from quantity towards quality if they stick with it long enough.
    I won't argue (very much) on your addiction point. I sometimes simply don't smoke a pipe or take snuff for days on end - two weeks fairly recently - and don't really miss it or get to Jonesing. But I do think that nicotine (or more likely the act of smoking in itself) is more insidious than that. The acute withdrawal symptoms are quite short lived, a few days at most. But most people return to smoking within weeks of "giving up". Addiction? Perhaps. I gave up all forms of tobacco for maybe 8 years. When I started again on cigars it was as if I'd never left. People say that once an addict, always an addict I feel there is much truth in that. Please don't take me for a lurking Health Nazi; nothing could be further from the truth.

I'm with you 100% on the strangeness that makes people reluctant to dig deep for a pipe when expensive cigars are bought with gay abandon.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

I think cigars are not seen as the same as pipes because its what being consumed instead a vessel of consumption. A bad but simple analogy would be wine and wine glasses, cigar smokers see pipes as being like wine glasses and can't understand why we spend money on glasses instead of wines.

...But most people return to smoking within weeks of "giving up". Addiction? Perhaps. I gave up all forms of tobacco for maybe 8 years. When I started again on cigars it was as if I'd never left. People say that once an addict, always an addict I feel there is much truth in that. Please don't take me for a lurking Health Nazi; nothing could be further from the truth.
    I studied this question to some depth in my years taking a BS in physiological psychology (as opposed to an "arts" degree in what most people think of, when they think of "psychologist"). The chemical side of dependency does not seem to me as strong as the societal and social habits surrounding any given addiction. It's often the ritual/habit that moves us to action as much as the substance. As Plato observed, "Everything is habit." (His philosophical point being, that if you fill your life with good habits, there will be no time for bad ones. Of course, other Greek philosophers, say Aristippus, didn't see any real problem with bad habits. I'm going with Aristippus, personally.)
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

I won't argue (very much) on your addiction point. I sometimes simply don't smoke a pipe or take snuff for days on end - two weeks fairly recently - and don't really miss it or get to Jonesing. But I do think that nicotine (or more likely the act of smoking in itself) is more insidious than that. The acute withdrawal symptoms are quite short lived, a few days at most. But most people return to smoking within weeks of "giving up". Addiction? Perhaps. I gave up all forms of tobacco for maybe 8 years. When I started again on cigars it was as if I'd never left. People say that once an addict, always an addict I feel there is much truth in that. Please don't take me for a lurking Health Nazi; nothing could be further from the truth.
    Well, if we're dealing with the psychological side, I'm sure that it would be argued that the fact that I'm smoking again shows that it's true, but I'm just not modern enough to go along with the "everything's an addiction" line. If I am addicted to nicotine, it's certainly much farther down the list than a medium rare NY strip and a baked potato.

I wish I hadn't written that; the grocery store is already closed...
    ********.com

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

Nicotine can certainly absorb through the mucous membrane. Not sure if that is fact... But pipe smoking has been a useful vice for me, in that it has worked wonders at curbing my cigarette consumption. Of which I find to be much more harmful than smoking pipes.
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

Oh, there's no doubt I'm getting nicotine; let me smoke a Gawith, Hoggarth rope on an empty stomach and it's obvious. But I'm not addicted the way I was twenty years ago with cigarettes, unable to go longer than an hour without a fix (okay, three hours when asleep) and basically unable to function normally without the nicotine.
    ********.com

Oh, there's no doubt I'm getting nicotine; let me smoke a Gawith, Hoggarth rope on an empty stomach and it's obvious. But I'm not addicted the way I was twenty years ago with cigarettes, unable to go longer than an hour without a fix (okay, three hours when asleep) and basically unable to function normally without the nicotine.

Sorry about the derailment, Jeff!
    ********.com

OK, first on the "if you don't buy the most expensive it isn't really a hobby, just an addiction" theme (a paraphrase, not a direct quote, so maybe I shouldn't have put it in quotes), maybe that is how some define hobby, but not everyone. There are plenty of other factors that go into whether something is a hobby, collection or whatever other than cost. A guy may be able to afford the most expensive BMW, Harley CVO or Indian but choose to buy a Honda or Suzuki, and it doesn't diminish the fun of the motorcycle hobby for them. I have some nice tents, but I have never gone into the over $300 range (and there are plenty of tents in that range), it doesn't make camping any less of a hobby for me. If I sold several of my guns I'm sure I could buy a $2000+ Les Baer 1911 or Springfield M1A, but I'm quite happy with my SIGs, S&Ws, and even Taurus handguns and my sub-$1K rifles and it doesn't make gun collecting and shooting any less of a hobby. I used to drive a used lower end BMW (325i) that was already 4 years old when I bought it, my enjoyment wasn't diminished by the fact that I didn't pay 2-3 times as much for a new or top of the line BMW or Mercedes. Someone isn't less of a car enthusiast for buying a Miata instead of a Porsche. History, different styles, personal satisfaction, personal finances, and any number of other criteria can go into why someone collects particular examples of any hobby over others.

I am a teacher and thus my budget is somewhat limited. I do have a couple higher end pipes. At the time I posted this question I had one Radice, one Ser Jacopo, and one Peterson Sherlock Holmes (the Sherlock Holmes series is priced with the cheaper high end pipes, so I guess it may be in that category). I love those pipes, but I also get great satisfaction out of my mid-line Petersons, Hardcastles, Ben Wade, Karl Eriks, and Savinellis. They smoke well, and many of them look quite good (though it is true the workmanship isn't the same as the Radice or Ser Jacopos I own). As for the hobby/collection status v. "just a habit", I have far more shapes, sizes and styles of pipes to match different moods (and variety matters to me) than I ever could if I spent the same amount of money on higher end pipes only. The question was to get other people's opinions on cost to value issues. I'm still undecided if the higher end pipes are better enough to be worth it.

As for the "addiction" theme...I quit cigarettes in my mid-20's. Since then, I was not addicted (until possibly recently). I would sometimes smoke my pipes or cigars several times a day every day for weeks, and then at other times I would go weeks without touching them with no ill effects. I've gone as long as 3-6 months without more than a couple smokes. Though, over the past couple years, and especially the past 6 months or so, I have been smoking my pipes often enough (usually several times a day) that I definitely have found myself craving my pipe or a specific tobacco if I go too long without a smoke. So, it is very possible that I am again addicted to nicotine. Still doesn't stop the hobby end for me (I have no interest in a quick nicotine delivery system like cigarettes or the new electronic cigarettes)- I'm still drawn to the collection and maintenance of my pipes and cigars.

As for my original question, I did not yet buy a higher end English pipe. I did go to a tobacco store yesterday and gave an estate Dunhill and a couple higher end Italian pipes they had a close look. I came home with an interesting Ser Jacopo Calibash/Cutty hybrid that at first glace appears to be a smooth pipe, but actually has an unusual style of rustication. The extreme angle of the bowl does make it interesting to smoke and may take some getting used to, but it smokes very well (I started the break in with a half bowl of SG Chocolate Flake). So, I have picked up another higher end Italian pipe, but I am still on the look out for a higher end English pipe.
    Last edited by Jeff10236; 05-04-2013 at 12:56 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast