Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Are high end pipes really worth it?

This is a discussion on Are high end pipes really worth it? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by freestoke Wow, the 43 year olds are screwed, huh? Sucky birthdate Dunhills. I'd guess it's both a ...

Re: Are high end pipes really worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Wow, the 43 year olds are screwed, huh? Sucky birthdate Dunhills. I'd guess it's both a curse and a blessing.
    Not screwed, just another reason to hold out until I find a really good deal (or forget the birthdate Dunhill since it seems like a nice thing to have, but is not one of my "holy grails" since I'm not that into Dunhills).

Edit:
    Oh, and lets not make me any older than I am...I still have a little over 2 months to 43

So, on that other forum Mister Moo posted again with some nicer things to say about the 1970 Dunhills. Already, I figured even the worst year for Dunhill won't be a bad pipe. Dunhill may not be worth as much as they sell for, but they are good pipes. There are other brands that interest me more, but I always figured that if I did get a Dunhill it would be a birth year pipe. Bulldogs are in my top 2 or 3 favorite shapes, and often are my absolute favorites (when I'm not on an X shape kick). So, I decided to give it one more shot and counter-offered at $270...

If you check back at the link you will see that the pipe is sold...He accepted my offer, I've paid, it is mine!

Edit:
    Holy crap, with shipping I just paid $279 for a pipe

I guess I'll really get to see the performance of a high end v. good mid-level pipe controlling for as many factors as possible (Dunhill bulldog v. Hardcastle bulldog), but I must say, this pipe better be good!

I can't wait!
    Last edited by Jeff10236; 05-07-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Just checking on my birth year Dr. Grabow. As it happens, it would be their first run of pipes!
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Just checking on my birth year Dr. Grabow. As it happens, it would be their first run of pipes!
    Hmm, birth year Dr. Grabow? Sounds like an interesting idea. How many pipe companies give enough info to reliably trace the year of manufacture? Maybe to get away from spending too much money on pipes (since my last two were over $200), it is time to look for birth year pipes from affordable brands and still be able to scratch the collectable/hobby itch (Dr. Grabow, Kaywoodie, Parker...sounds like a start).

Oh, if your birth year Dr. Grabow is their first year, I guess that puts you a little over 10 years older (or about 10 years younger) than my mom. Linkman era or Sparta era first run

I'm too old to be smoking a pipe. I don't even own a Dr. Grabow. I really should get one. Pretty soon I'll be able to buy my birth year with a brand spanking new one!

Glad you got it though, Jeff! Hope it smokes great for you!
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Got my Dunhill today, and I'll be emailing him about returning it ASAP. When reaming out the cake they really messed it up. It is out of round, and the wood at the top of the bowl is noticeably thinner than in the heel. In fact, when I put my thumb in the bowl, there is a very pronounced "shoulder" along the base of the bowl about a centimeter or so up. Definitely a disappointment.

I think I'll just go ahead and order an Ashton or Northern Briars after I get my money back and forget the birth year Dunhill (or at least forget getting an affordable one).

Ouch. What a let down.
    ********.com

It has been over 24 hours since my email about returning the pipe and I haven't heard anything. So, I have sent another email. Hopefully they are just being a tad slow in checking their emails. I hope this doesn't end up becoming a problem.

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

I hope so too.

Pipers tend to be good/fun folks, and I hope this all works out well for you.

He was just a little delayed. Even though he was in another country, he gave me a local address for the return. I'm a little confused, but whatever (maybe it is the person who is buying it since our deal ended up not working out, or maybe he has a US return agent who happens to be local, I'm not sure).

I am OK with it all now and I'm looking forward to the refund. I recently got two new pipes which are quickly becoming favorites. On another forum we ordered handmade higher end new production Kaywoodies as the POY. I got impatient waiting and spent $170 on a 2010 Zulu Kaywoodie Pipe of the Year, and today my POY for the forum showed up. I am now a huge fan of the current production handmade Kaywoodies (the handmade Kaywoodies are made by Kaywoodie's parent company's CEO, Bill Feuerbach). I may spend the refund on two of the Kaywoodie Pipes of the Year (the 2009 is a bulldog and the 2005 or 2006 is a Rhodesian).

POY from other pipe forum:

2010 Kaywoodie POY (Zulu):

That zulu looks sharp!
    ********.com

They are both beautiful pipes, with the Zulu being my favorite of the two (funny since until recently I wasn't too into the shape, but this looks and smokes so well I will have to give another Zulu or two a try).

24 hr's ain't enough splattttttt's Avatar

I have a vintage Kaywoodie Zulu that I found on eBay a while ago that's smooth but with a similar stem. Amnost looks like a Cumberland. They are a great shape and smoke nicely.
    Enjoy yours Jeff. It's beautiful.
    it has been my experience that folks who have no vices have few virtues- Abe Lincoln

Full grown Puffer Fish Thirston's Avatar

Both are great looking but that zulu is very cool. Don't give up on the birth-year Dunhill. My birth-year Dunhill bulldog is kind of fun to have. An extravagance (as I'd rather have another Cavicchi or Castello), yes but fun to have. Patience.

Philosopher Extraordinai Gigmaster's Avatar

It all depends on why you are buying the pipe. If you just want a good smoke, nothing smokes better, at any price, than a >$10.00 Missouri Meerschaum corn cob pipe. However, if you are looking for something more in the line of artwork, and collect-ability, then yes, upscale pipes are worth it, to you at least. It's like the difference between a Toyota, and a Rolls-Royce. They both get you where you are going, but the Rolls has prestige, and will hold it's value.

I have invested in many upscale pipes, for my own pleasure, but most of the time, you will see me with a corn cob hanging out of my mouth.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5