Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

English/Oriental Suggestions

This is a discussion on English/Oriental Suggestions within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hey all, I'm back to smoking my pipes after a 5 year hiatus. Its great to be back. I'm already ...

Maturing Puffer Fish

English/Oriental Suggestions

Hey all, I'm back to smoking my pipes after a 5 year hiatus. Its great to be back. I'm already picked up some of my favorites while smoking some of my now aged stash of tins.

Anyway, I don't remember liking English/Oriental blends but its been 5 years and I want to give some a try. Now I need to place an order with pipesandcigars.com for some bulk Hearth & Home that I love so I would like to get maybe 5 or so options that I can order from them to try a variety of English/Oriental blends. I'd like atleast one or each of the following no Latakia, maybe a lite to medium amount of Latakia and with a heavier amount of Latakia. The rest can be whatever give a good variety, I'll probably like to order 5 or 6 different blends so I can get a good feel for the different kinds of flavors and styles in the English/Oriental realm.

Thanks for all the help in advance, really looking forward to try some new stuff. Just wanted to add incase it looks like I want them all to be Hearth & Home blends, that's not it, just has to be something I can find from pipesandcigars.com in either tin or bulk. Thanks

Re: English/Oriental Suggestions

For one with heavy Orientals and light Latakia I would recommend Rattray's Red Rapparee; Less Orientals, but still enough to be a Balkan, and more Latakia than RR, Dunhill London Mixture; No Orientals and light Latakia, GL Pease Piccadilly; Heavy Latakia and medium Orientals, Dunhill Night Cap; for a light mixture with balanced Orientals and Latakia, either SG Squadron Leader or GL Pease Chelsea Morning. Oh, and one that is a little different in that it is all Orientals and Latakia, even though it tastes like it has some Virginia, Esoterica Margate.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Variables's Avatar

Samuel Gawith Skiff immediately comes to my mind.

Nachman has given you a great list.

Here is mine (with some overlap):

Light: SG Squadron Leader

Light to Medium:
    SG Perfection

Medium:
    Esoterica Margate
    Esoterica Penzance (you'll never find it, but if you somehow do)
    McClelland's Craftbury Collection: Any of the Frog Morton line. They are all terrific, though I usually prefer the regular FM and the On The Town over On The Bayou, and I haven't yet tried the new FM Cellar.

I know you said you want to order from pipesandcigars.com because you are also ordering their house brand. If you can bring yourself to order from two sites, give 4noggins.com a try. Their Bald Headed Teacher is a terrific light Latakia blend to get started with English blends (the Latakia is more of a "seasoning" than ingredient).

Oh, BTW, you may want to consider filling in the Cigar Bomb/Cigar Pass Address section of your profile. Check out the bomb sections of the website, it can get interesting. I have had my address there for a while now and I have never had an issue with spamming of any kind. I suspect if that was filled in, you might get the chance to try a few things you might not otherwise (if not now with this thread, certainly later as you post enough to be noticed).
    Last edited by Jeff10236; 04-24-2013 at 09:50 PM.

My choices would be Red Rapparee or McConnell's Oriental for light, GLP Caravan or Balkan Sasieni for medium, and either GLP Odyssey or Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding for heavy. I'd say Penzance, but why bother, as hard as it is to find.
    ********.com

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    For one with heavy Orientals and light Latakia I would recommend Rattray's Red Rapparee; Less Orientals, but still enough to be a Balkan, and more Latakia than RR, Dunhill London Mixture; No Orientals and light Latakia, GL Pease Piccadilly; Heavy Latakia and medium Orientals, Dunhill Night Cap; for a light mixture with balanced Orientals and Latakia, either SG Squadron Leader or GL Pease Chelsea Morning. Oh, and one that is a little different in that it is all Orientals and Latakia, even though it tastes like it has some Virginia, Esoterica Margate.
    Thanks for the list, placed an order for most of them, looking forward to trying them out when they arrive

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff10236 View Post
    Nachman has given you a great list.

Here is mine (with some overlap):

Light: SG Squadron Leader

Light to Medium:
    SG Perfection

Medium:
    Esoterica Margate
    Esoterica Penzance (you'll never find it, but if you somehow do)
    McClelland's Craftbury Collection: Any of the Frog Morton line. They are all terrific, though I usually prefer the regular FM and the On The Town over On The Bayou, and I haven't yet tried the new FM Cellar.

I know you said you want to order from pipesandcigars.com because you are also ordering their house brand. If you can bring yourself to order from two sites, give 4noggins.com a try. Their Bald Headed Teacher is a terrific light Latakia blend to get started with English blends (the Latakia is more of a "seasoning" than ingredient).

Oh, BTW, you may want to consider filling in the Cigar Bomb/Cigar Pass Address section of your profile. Check out the bomb sections of the website, it can get interesting. I have had my address there for a while now and I have never had an issue with spamming of any kind. I suspect if that was filled in, you might get the chance to try a few things you might not otherwise (if not now with this thread, certainly later as you post enough to be noticed).
    Thanks for the suggestions also, just filled in the Cigar Bomb/Cigar Pass Address. Didn't know about that. Looking forward to trying something other than VA's and Vapers when they come in but I'm sure Vapers will remain my go to. I actually have a tin of Esoterica Penzance. Only thing is I know I opened it and tried some when I got it and of course I didn't jar it up. Not sure if it will be any good. If it just looks dried out do you think I could bring it back with the wet paper towel thing or ? It was just in the closed up tin sitting in a drawer. Let me know what you think

Robert Lewis Tree Mixture. Oriental Driven and light on Latakia. Fantastic stuff.

Ashton Artisan's Blend. A bit more Latakia than the Tree Mixture with Turkish very present plus a little lift with some Perique.

And there is always Dunhill Standard Mixture. About as "English" as you can get.

The Rattray's mixtures are a fine choice. Can't remember if Black Mallory was suggested.

I enjoy the Tree Mixture in particular. I sometimes smoke it all day long. I do tire from too much Latakia, but this causes no problems like that.

Which reminds me. Been a good few days since I broke this stuff out...
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper2075 View Post
    I actually have a tin of Esoterica Penzance. Only thing is I know I opened it and tried some when I got it and of course I didn't jar it up. Not sure if it will be any good. If it just looks dried out do you think I could bring it back with the wet paper towel thing or ? It was just in the closed up tin sitting in a drawer. Let me know what you think
    Shouldn't be any problem. On the other hand, I'd try it as is; just 'gravity feed' it into the pipe with just a very, very light tamp at the end. More of a leveling than a tamping, if that makes sense. It might surprise you.
    ********.com

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Shouldn't be any problem. On the other hand, I'd try it as is; just 'gravity feed' it into the pipe with just a very, very light tamp at the end. More of a leveling than a tamping, if that makes sense. It might surprise you.
    Quick question, its still in flake form not sure about gravity feeding that, do you mean crumble some up and gravity feed that? I split what I have up into 2 jars, one I spritz with distilled water and sealed up the other I left alone to try as is, its still in flake but is rather brittle.

Almost no latakia and lots of orientals - King Charles Mixture
    Balanced - London Mixture
    Heavier latakia - Artisans Blend

Quote Originally Posted by blackadam View Post
    Almost no latakia and lots of orientals - King Charles Mixture
    Balanced - London Mixture
    Heavier latakia - Artisans Blend
    Is this the blend made by JF Germain? Or perhaps under the Esoterica banner by the same manufacturer?

I'm very fond of all the Germain's tobaccos I've tried and as I don't enjoy overpowering Latakia perhaps I'll give this a spin. Once again, if this is Esoterica, does anyone know if the one produced as "just" Germain's is the same (like most opinion on Rich Dark Flake vs. Stonehaven).

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Is this the blend made by JF Germain? Or perhaps under the Esoterica banner by the same manufacturer?

I'm very fond of all the Germain's tobaccos I've tried and as I don't enjoy overpowering Latakia perhaps I'll give this a spin. Once again, if this is Esoterica, does anyone know if the one produced as "just" Germain's is the same (like most opinion on Rich Dark Flake vs. Stonehaven).
    It is Germain's. Esoterica doesn't have a clone as far as I know.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    It is Germain's. Esoterica doesn't have a clone as far as I know.
    I found review of the tobacco under Esoterica; the latest review was from 2009 and the internet is notoriously unreliable. The Wikipedia entry for Melvyn Bragg (British broadcaster, author and general smarty-pants) used to state that if you cut him in half you would find that he is entirely composed of compressed hair. Which, thinking about him, might well be true.

Esoterica Tobacciana - King Charles pipe tobacco reviews

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Andrewdk's Avatar

Nachman's suggestions are great.
    So far not mentioned in the latakia heavy category, and I can't believe they've been missed
    MacBaren HH Vintage Syrian, a little under half the mix is Syrian latakia the remainder us VA and dark fired Kentucky. You haven't smoked latakia till you've smoked Syrian latakia.
    C&D Pirate Kake, stinks like burnt swamp but tastes very smooth.
    The land of milk and honey, a safe haven and the last bastion of freedom - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/andrewdk

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    I found review of the tobacco under Esoterica; the latest review was from 2009 and the internet is notoriously unreliable. The Wikipedia entry for Melvyn Bragg (British broadcaster, author and general smarty-pants) used to state that if you cut him in half you would find that he is entirely composed of compressed hair. Which, thinking about him, might well be true.

Esoterica Tobacciana - King Charles pipe tobacco reviews

I find the orientals dominate and I detect the latakia more in the tin than the smoke. I found it light (in nicotine) and peppery. It was more than a year ago the last time I smoked some. Best example of orientals that i've smoked.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast