Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Tobacco in Melbourne, Australia?

This is a discussion on Tobacco in Melbourne, Australia? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Anyone out there know if there are any good tobacconists in Melbourne, Australia? Anyone know if the arrival halls at ...

Full grown Puffer Fish

Tobacco in Melbourne, Australia?

Anyone out there know if there are any good tobacconists in Melbourne, Australia?

Anyone know if the arrival halls at Tullamarine airport have a duty-free shop where you can get pipe tobacco? If so, what brands? I heard they've drastically reduced the duty-free allowance to only two packets of ciggies, so I guess you'd only be able to buy a small tin. Considering that I've heard pipe tobacco goes for about $40 for 50 grams, it's still worth getting hold of.

Anyone know if you can get nasal snuff anywhere in Melbourne?

I'm doing a quick trip back to the old home town next month, always pays to be prepared.
    If I could write poetry, I'd be a poet. I can't, so I smoke a pipe instead ....

Re: Tobacco in Melbourne, Australia?

Can't post you a link here as they sell Cubans but I'll PM you a link to a shop in Toorak. They carry Dunhill, Peterson & a few McBarens. You will need a big billfold though as the prices vary between $42 & $52 AUD.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Full grown Puffer Fish Thirston's Avatar

Haven't been to Melbourne in a few years. Great city. Too bad tobacco's an arm and a leg.

Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Tashaz View Post
    You will need a big billfold though as the prices vary between $42 & $52 AUD.
    Ouch. That's what a pound of CnD Tuggle Hall costs me in Jakarta, with shipping and bribes to customs included. Thanks for the link, though. Do you happen to know if they sell snuff?

To my knowledge snuff is nigh on impossible to buy here.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Andrewdk's Avatar

Cignal in Frankston has a good range including SG and McC blends but exorbitant prices, 35-50 a tin.
    The land of milk and honey, a safe haven and the last bastion of freedom - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/andrewdk

Holy cow! Why's tobacco so expensive down there?

Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
    Holy cow! Why's tobacco so expensive down there?
    One word: taxes.

Cigarettes are around $17 per pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Irfan View Post
    One word: taxes.

Cigarettes are around $17 per pack.
    Wow. And I thought we has it bad in the UK. Cigarettes are about £8 (I understand) and loose tobacco is around £11 for 50g.

The high Duty is a bit of a double-edged sword in my opinion, however. Government is tied into the sale of tobacco for a good chunk of revenue so an outright ban on tobacco is less likely. And that goes even more for alcohol. The Health Nazis may bleat about smoking and drinking, but this falls away at the ballot box when faced with policies that would mean higher taxation for those sainted souls as well.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    The high Duty is a bit of a double-edged sword in my opinion, however. Government is tied into the sale of tobacco for a good chunk of revenue so an outright ban on tobacco is less likely. And that goes even more for alcohol. The Health Nazis may bleat about smoking and drinking, but this falls away at the ballot box when faced with policies that would mean higher taxation for those sainted souls as well.
    Don't know if you ever saw that old BBC classic TV show, "Yes, Minister", with the manipulative senior bureaucrat and the slightly stupid minister. One episode, the big disaster they were facing was that they had some new Health Minister - "some sort of health fanatic" - who was actually really trying to eliminate smoking. All the bureaucrats sat down and worked out how much revenue they'd lose. They sent him off to become Minister for North Ireland and replaced him with a chain smoker.

Regarding Australian prices, Melbourne is now one of the four most expensive cities in the world. Article in the paper this morning comparing prices there with around the world. A lot of things are about double the US prices. Hard to believe that rent there is now more expensive than London, Tokyo or New York. All to do with the mining boom and the incredibly strong dollar. Won't last, it's all tied to China.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Irfan View Post
    Don't know if you ever saw that old BBC classic TV show, "Yes, Minister", with the manipulative senior bureaucrat and the slightly stupid minister. One episode, the big disaster they were facing was that they had some new Health Minister - "some sort of health fanatic" - who was actually really trying to eliminate smoking. All the bureaucrats sat down and worked out how much revenue they'd lose. They sent him off to become Minister for North Ireland and replaced him with a chain smoker.
    It is nice to hear of someone else who is familiar with "Yes, Minster" and "Yes, Prime Minster", two of the best television shows ever created in my opinion. The episode you mention is a classic. I also love the part where Sir Humphrey explains to the PM that tobacco taxes help fund the National Health Service to the tune of 4 billion pounds a year so that, in fact, "smokers are actually sacrificing their own lives so that others can live longer, healthier lives," or something like that. I also love how he makes that point that we don't want a nanny state, but that is also the logic for legalizing pot and all the other illegal drugs. It's amazing how some things don't seem to change all that much. It's hard to believe but those shows are 25 years old now.

Anyone who is interested can watch the episode we are talking about here:

Watch Videos Online | Yes Prime Minister 1.3 - The Smoke Screen | Veoh.com

For anyone even remotely into politics the shows are great, but it is also just a very funny sitcom. The actors are all top notch and the scripts are brilliantly written. Even for those of us from the US the storylines are almost always directly applicable to what we hear on the news on a day to day basis.
    Last edited by indigosmoke; 04-27-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Full grown Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by indigosmoke View Post
    Anyone who is interested can watch the episode we are talking about here:

Watch Videos Online | Yes Prime Minister 1.3 - The Smoke Screen | Veoh.com

For anyone even remotely into politics the shows are great, but it is also just a very funny sitcom. The actors are all top notch and the scripts are brilliantly written. Even for those of us from the US the storylines are almost always directly applicable to what we hear on the news on a day to day basis.
    Thanks for the link. I just got home at about one in the morning, couldn't resist watching it even so. Hysterical! Improves with age. Nothing has changed, except the fashion in suits. Probably not even that's changed much.

Theren is a new series of "Yes, Minister". I can't believe that the writers of the new one (made for an awful digital channel) will be a patch on Antony Jay and Jon Lynn. Biting satire.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp