Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Help me identify this pipe

This is a discussion on Help me identify this pipe within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; This is a cool little pipe I got in a lot of three off fleabay. Yes it's broken but I'm ...

Help me identify this pipe

This is a cool little pipe I got in a lot of three off fleabay. Yes it's broken but I'm trying to ID it and see if it's worth sending it to get fixed.
    It is marked "COLT" and underneath it says London Made. I really do like how this pipe looks so I may just send it off anyway. But...I'd still like to know a little more about it.

Help me identify this pipe-sdc14505.jpgHelp me identify this pipe-sdc14508.jpgHelp me identify this pipe-sdc14509.jpg

Re: Help me identify this pipe

Anyone?

Back in the thirties, Kaywoodie used to make a "Colt" pipe. They also had some British made Kaywoodies. Perhaps there is some connection.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Doesn't look like that one Robert. But I think it might be an old Kawoodie.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
    Doesn't look like that one Robert. But I think it might be an old Kawoodie.
    Those Colts IIRC came in several different shapes and stem lengths. What they had in common was that they all had small bowls.
    Edit: I just looked it up and an expert said the Colt was a smaller version of the standard pipes. As much as they have shrunk Kaywoodies, I imagine they were about the same size as a standard Kaywoodie now.
    Last edited by Nachman; 05-02-2013 at 10:48 AM.

Cool. I wonder how old it is. I guess it would be kinda hard to put a date to it, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
    Cool. I wonder how old it is. I guess it would be kinda hard to put a date to it, huh?
    I'm no expert, but I think they were made pre-WWII.

I found an interesting article on the internet which might have some bearing on the provenance of the pipe.

KAYWOODIE PIPES The early history of Kaywoodie pipes

Although the eBay seller of the pipe I found was pretty specific that his pipe (also a small pipe) was made between '68 and '76, the document (although I've only skimmed it) has a bit of information on "London Made" Kaywoodie pipes which shows that it may be earlier. "Technical help was often gwen by the Civic Co and it is not surprising that even before the last war the Kaywoodie 'London Made" already existed. They were made either for special orders or to meet an additional need of the American market." Obviously and as always, internet information should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Are you going to have the tenon professionally replaced? I understand that this isn't cheap. I've had a couple replaced, but luckily was able to bully a mate of mine to do it for free. He's an inveterate bodger and enjoyed the project. The main issue was setting up the bent stems in a lathe properly to bore them out to take the replacement. Once that was done it was pretty simple to turn a new tenon in brass and a nylon liner for the mortice to aid fitting.

I like a puzzle, me...
    Last edited by steinr1; 05-02-2013 at 12:05 PM.

One pipe on "Chris' Pipe Pages" Pipepages.com looks quite similar to your pipe. A "30B Belgian Colt" from the 1936 catalogue. This seems a really good site for Kaywoodie information - lots of catalogue pictures.

The pipe in question ias on COLLECTOR'S GUIDE TO KAYWOODIE PIPES: 3.2 THE 1947 KAYWOODIE LINE OF PIPES

The one detail that gives me pause is the fitting of the stem. All the ones pictured seem to have a thin collar at the stem joint and I think I read about them having a screw fitting.

Very interesting nevertheless.

A lot of the London Made Kaywoodies had a regular push tenon because Brits don't like the screw ins.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    A lot of the London Made Kaywoodies had a regular push tenon because Brits don't like the screw ins.
    I'm sure there's an off-color joke here...but in the interest of good taste I'll leave it alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    I'm sure there's an off-color joke here...but in the interest of good taste I'll leave it alone!

On a serious note, I really do appreciate the info. Now I just need to go find that thread I started about this pipe getting broken so I can find the links to places to get it fixed.