Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I need tobacco suggestions

This is a discussion on I need tobacco suggestions within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Okay so I have been saving up and I am going to do an order from pipes and cigars. I ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes Questionablesanity's Avatar

I need tobacco suggestions

Okay so I have been saving up and I am going to do an order from pipes and cigars. I have been smoking cigars for nearly a year and have been kind of dabbling in pipes since then. I need some suggestions on what would be good to try. I have only tried 3 tobaccos: Frog Morton, Orlik Golden Sliced, and Mississippi River. I really enjoyed all of those and I put them in order starting with what I enjoyed the most.

Here are some that I already have on my list:
    Dunhill: Nightcape, Flake, and Early morning pipe
    Escudo Navy Delux .
    Rattrays Red Rapparee
    Mabaren HH Vintage Syrian

I also had some Sam Gawiths and Presbyterian Mixture on my list but they are all on backorder. I will be doing the order Monday night so any input would be great. Anything anyone want to add or anything I should take away? I know everyone has their own taste, I am just looking for a good starting point to try and find what I like. Figured Puff was great getting me started down the cigar slope, so why not pipe tobacco.

Thanks for any input.
    Bring me my battle pants!

Re: I need tobacco suggestions

If you like Frog Morton, why not try some other McClellands? The other blends from the Frog Morton line are quite good. I've enjoyed everything I've tried from their Grand Orientals line. I've also liked their aromatics I've tried from the Premium Aromatics line.

As for VAs and VaPers, I really like Escudo and Dunhill Flake, good choices. Also consider Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake and Luxury Navy Flake.

No longer a community member.

Along the lines of what Jeff proposed...

this

and this

I would suggest you add PS Lux navy flake, Bulleye. An if you want to try syrian latakia try frog morton across the pond. If you want to try both try Mccllands wilderness

Awww dangit! Now you guys got my TAD worked up again!

You probably want to put at least one GL Pease blend in your order. I'd recommend Meridian.

Gotta have some Royal Yacht on that order, something with a little muscle.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely look in to adding as much of these as I can to my order tomorrow night. I have never heard or read of a lot of these so I am thankful for the input. Keep the suggestions coming.

Robert Lewis Tree Mixture is, for my money, the perfect all day "English" mixture (risking Jim's ire here...)

I checked and PipesAndCigars stock it, albeit in a different tin to the one I am used to in the UK.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Thanks for all the suggestions. I actually ended up ordering from smokingpipes. They had more in stock and I saved about 20 bucks. Looking forward to trying out a lot of new baccy over the next few weeks.

This was on my front porch today. Thanks for all the suggestions. Whatever didn't make it on this order will make it on the next. Now I just have to decide what to try first.

Nice haul!

Looks like the perfect input for a series of tobacco reviews...
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

If you get a chance go to justforhim.com and order Ruins of Isengard or one of the other LOTR themed tobaccos. Ruins is my current favorite. Nice and mellow, with just a tiny hint of vanilla.

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Nice haul!

Looks like the perfect input for a series of tobacco reviews...
    Exactly the right number of Dunhills for the Dunhill tobacco expert badge.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Andrewdk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
    If you get a chance go to justforhim.com and order Ruins of Isengard or one of the other LOTR themed tobaccos. Ruins is my current favorite. Nice and mellow, with just a tiny hint of vanilla.
    Good recommendation, love Ruins. For my two vents stash the SG Balkan flake till you're accustomed to big Latakia / oriental blends. It's a great tobacco you just might not enjoy it straight off if you're not accustom to the acquired Latakia flavour. I'd go with the nightcap. Give Petersons Old Dublin a try too, very nice blend. IMHO similar strength to FM but a touch more elegant.
    The land of milk and honey, a safe haven and the last bastion of freedom - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/andrewdk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast