Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

H&H Anniversary Kake question

This is a discussion on H&H Anniversary Kake question within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I just got my order from pipesandcigars.com I picked up 8oz of there H&H Anniversary Kake in bulk. When I ...

Maturing Puffer Fish

H&H Anniversary Kake question

I just got my order from pipesandcigars.com I picked up 8oz of there H&H Anniversary Kake in bulk. When I opened the box I was surprised to find a bag stuffed with what looked like ribbon cut tobbaco in the bag labeled Anniversary kake. I called and they said this is how it comes now. I just want to see if this is new since being purchased by Cigars International or if it has been this way for a while. Last time I ordered any was years ago before I took a break from smoking. I'm kinda disappointed considering I liked the process of rubbing out the tobacco myself to the consistency I liked. I also think they can't really call it a kake anymore.

Re: H&H Anniversary Kake question

The problem with Anniversary Kake bulk is that, due to handling and shipping, it can crumble apart since it's a soft cake to begin with. We try our best not to let it happen, but it does. We're working on a way to avoid this, but we don't have a solution yet. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly with any issues like this at russo@pipesandcigars.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Sniper2075 View Post
    I just got my order from pipesandcigars.com I picked up 8oz of there H&H Anniversary Kake in bulk. When I opened the box I was surprised to find a bag stuffed with what looked like ribbon cut tobbaco in the bag labeled Anniversary kake. I called and they said this is how it comes now. I just want to see if this is new since being purchased by Cigars International or if it has been this way for a while. Last time I ordered any was years ago before I took a break from smoking. I'm kinda disappointed considering I liked the process of rubbing out the tobacco myself to the consistency I liked. I also think they can't really call it a kake anymore.

BTW, the tinned version seems to hold up much better, and is close in price to the bulk.

The Cheese stands alone Commander Quan's Avatar

Thanks Russ. Do you have any info you're legally allowed to pass on to us about the changes happening?
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!

Maturing Puffer Fish

Thanks for the quick reply. I do remember in the past getting 1 decent sized chunk and then some smaller pieces probably to get the weight right and some crumble from handling and shipping but there was still a decent chunk. This was basically fully rubbed out and there was no kake only some small clumps. Another question I was going to ask, if you want to age a kake tobacco should you leave it alone or should you break it up a little or fully rub it out how you like to smoke it first? Just wondering, I've jarred up what I got except for some to smoke now. If it still tastes as good as it used to for me I may just order a whole block, if they are made in the 2lb blocks I remember reading about.

Thanks again for the quick reply

The blocks are in excess of 4 pounds each, but you can request that your order be sent in one piece, if available. I would age it in its cake form for best results.
    As far as what I'm allowed to say about our situation, it's pretty simple- ownership aside, Pipes and Cigars.com is its own entity, with its own staff (except for order fulfillment, which handles all of the customer shipments). If I had any concerns about the customer experience that our loyal followers have come to know, I wouldn't have stayed with the company. If anything, our increased resources will allow us to do more for you, keep prices down (and even lower, in some cases), get orders out quicker and maintain higher inventory levels to reduce out of stock situations (unlike what we're experiencing right now, due to settling in after the move).
    Additionally, I'll have a lot more to work with to expand the Hearth & Home line. The next year will give you some examples of what we can do with the greater access we'll have to tobaccos.
    Thanks for everybody's patience.

Russ

The Cheese stands alone Commander Quan's Avatar

Sounds good. Thanks.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!

Wow, a four pound block of Anni Kake... I'd have a hard time not chipping away at it.

And how would you age something that big anyway? Lots and lots of Saran wrap maybe?
    So in other words, stop reading reviews and smoke more tobacco?
    Read! Think! Debate! Vote!

Maturing Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    Wow, a four pound block of Anni Kake... I'd have a hard time not chipping away at it.

And how would you age something that big anyway? Lots and lots of Saran wrap maybe?
    I have no clue there, I was thinking of taking the block and cutting it into blocks that would fit in quart sized mason jars, I'm actually using the little 4 oz mason jars right now just because I don't smoke very much right now and really want to try so many varieties, this way every time I have to open a new jar its a small amount and the rest is still aging in the other jars, still sealed up tight. It's a little more expensive because the jars are pretty much the same price as the larger 8oz ones I was going to use. I'm far from using the large 32oz quart jars as that would be a ton of tobacco for me and my 1 bowl a day. Can't smoke at work and it getting hot now so my smoking will decline, its up to triple digits now for the highs.

Quote Originally Posted by blendtobac View Post
    The blocks are in excess of 4 pounds each, but you can request that your order be sent in one piece, if available. I would age it in its cake form for best results.
    As far as what I'm allowed to say about our situation, it's pretty simple- ownership aside, Pipes and Cigars.com is its own entity, with its own staff (except for order fulfillment, which handles all of the customer shipments). If I had any concerns about the customer experience that our loyal followers have come to know, I wouldn't have stayed with the company. If anything, our increased resources will allow us to do more for you, keep prices down (and even lower, in some cases), get orders out quicker and maintain higher inventory levels to reduce out of stock situations (unlike what we're experiencing right now, due to settling in after the move).
    Additionally, I'll have a lot more to work with to expand the Hearth & Home line. The next year will give you some examples of what we can do with the greater access we'll have to tobaccos.
    Thanks for everybody's patience.

Russ
    Russ, will the tinned versions of H&H blends still be done by Altadis and the bulk blended by you?

Quote Originally Posted by Stonedog View Post
    I don't even smoke it (don't like perique that much) and still started drooling at the thought...
    ********.com

Actually, both the tinned and bulk versions have been made by Altadis (actually now it's Sutliff Tobacco), for quite some time. Thanks to all of you who are customers of ours, the demand for Hearth & Home has outstripped my ability to make the product. That's why we had to have them manufacture our blends. The reason we have worked with them is that they're large enough to handle the volume, yet responsive enough to let me go to their plant and work with them to reproduce our blends faithfully, and the feedback has been almost universally positive. They've been more than accommodating in working with me, and I'm really glad that we've made the move.

When I first started smoking this tobacco was just amazing. I luckily ordered it as one of my first from P&C basically just off of the description. I then restocked with 4 ounces and was a very happy boy. Both of my initial orders came in baggies, I assume, direct from Russ. Both baggies came in as mostly a block with some shake.

Fast forward to late last year and I ordered one small tin and one 8 oz tin. I opened the small tin immediately and left the large tin for cellaring. The first thing I noticed was the tin was all shake. After smoking through the small tin I have since lost interest in this blend. Something just wasn't the same for me. I know the process is the same since Altadis took over, from reading above, but I swear it is slightly different. I realize that my tastes may have changed, the stars weren't aligned, my pipes weren't the same, etc. I am not trying to derail this thread, I am just adding my 2 cents.
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

Quote Originally Posted by blendtobac View Post
    Actually, both the tinned and bulk versions have been made by Altadis (actually now it's Sutliff Tobacco), for quite some time. Thanks to all of you who are customers of ours, the demand for Hearth & Home has outstripped my ability to make the product. That's why we had to have them manufacture our blends. The reason we have worked with them is that they're large enough to handle the volume, yet responsive enough to let me go to their plant and work with them to reproduce our blends faithfully, and the feedback has been almost universally positive. They've been more than accommodating in working with me, and I'm really glad that we've made the move.
    And the Marquee series is produced by C&D, right? Will they continue to handle those blends?

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

That's why i only buy it tinned.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast