Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

The price says it all...

This is a discussion on The price says it all... within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz All joking aside- I think I have a jar of this in the cellar... One ...

Re: The price says it all...

Quote Originally Posted by Tobias Lutz View Post
    All joking aside- I think I have a jar of this in the cellar...
    One would hope you wouldn't joke about a thing like that. "All joking aside, I think I have a vial of live smallpox virus in the freezer..."
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Philosopher Extraordinai Gigmaster's Avatar

I have smoked Mixture 79 before...once.

The flavor and taste, to me anyway, was like Dr. Pepper poured over a urinal cake. There were some faint wisps of vanilla, but over-all it was not a pleasant smoke. And, you have to smoke it very slowly, or it will bite your tongue off, and turn into a sloppy, gooey mess in your pipe bowl.

I rate it as a typical cheap drug-store tobacco. There are much better tobaccos out there, for not much more money. Smoker Pride blends are a lot better, if you have to have a really cheap tobacco. They're not great either, but a lot better than Mixture #79 .

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster View Post
    The flavor and taste, to me anyway, was like Dr. Pepper poured over a urinal cake. There were some faint wisps of vanilla, but over-all it was not a pleasant smoke. And, you have to smoke it very slowly, or it will bite your tongue off, and turn into a sloppy, gooey mess in your pipe bowl.

My wife is on a short business trip to the US. I specifically asked her to pick up some of this if she could find it. I wanted to see what it was like after hearing pretty much universally negative review. I understand that it is a very popular blend in terms of sales so someone must like it.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

It's popular for the same reason that Borkum Riff, Captain Black, Smokers Pride, Middleton's, etc...are popular. Because they are cheap, and easily found in drug stores. The same reason, Old Milwaukee, Steel Reserve, Ice House, beers are popular. Are they good beers? No, but they are cheap, and in every convenience store you go in to.

You may like it, and if you do, by all means, smoke it. There is no accounting for taste. That's why they make so many different kinds of tobacco blends.

The post was asking for opinions on this blend, and we gave them. They are not wrong, or right. They are just opinions.

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

It's popular for the same reason that Borkum Riff, Captain Black, Smokers Pride, Middleton's, etc...are popular. Because they are cheap, and easily found in drug stores. The same reason, Old Milwaukee, Steel Reserve, Ice House, beers are popular. Are they good beers? No, but they are cheap, and in every convenience store you go in to.

You may like it, and if you do, by all means, smoke it. There is no accounting for taste. That's why they make so many different kinds of tobacco blends.

The post was asking for opinions on this blend, and we gave them. They are not wrong, or right. They are just opinions.
    YES! This. Thank you.

The same ad populum reasoning would seem to prove that McDonald's makes the world's best hamburger, when clearly everyone knows where to get a vastly better burger. The only difference with pipers is that there's generations of them that never had access to a quality tobacconist and don't know about internet sales.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
    YES! This. Thank you.

The same ad populum reasoning would seem to prove that McDonald's makes the world's best hamburger, when clearly everyone knows where to get a vastly better burger. The only difference with pipers is that there's generations of them that never had access to a quality tobacconist and don't know about internet sales.
    Yep - this makes sense. Although... At least McDonald's use fat and salt as key ingredients and, to my memory, main and only flavours. Both of these assuage baser animal needs. M79 would seem to lean on a light topping of vomit - if some comments are to be believed.

I wouldn't eat at McDonalds any more than I'd smoke Mixture 79. On the other hand, I'd kill to have a Baja Fresh in town,and occasionally smoke the Prince or Carter Hall. So, yeah, to a point...
    ********.com

I've been at the Sutliff plant when they were making Mixture 79. If I remember correctly, the batch they made on that day was 2000 pounds. The volume is certainly a function of availability, but I know that I would be thrilled to have my blends sell with those kind of numbers.

Russ

2000lbs is insane!

I never even imagined they were moving that much product, even at .99 a pop.

It would be interesting to see the demographics of what age group and what locations they are selling at. Maybe it is popular in Alaska as Bear deterrent.
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

No longer a community member.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I wouldn't eat at McDonalds any more than I'd smoke Mixture 79. On the other hand, I'd kill to have a Baja Fresh in town,and occasionally smoke the Prince or Carter Hall. So, yeah, to a point...
    It's the clown isn't it? He freaks me out too...

You know, I am one of those people who cannot stand clowns; I'm sure it doesn't help!
    ********.com

...Old Milwaukee...
    Hey, that's Old Mil you're dissing there! It says right there on the can, "America's Best Tasting Beer", and they couldn't say it if it weren't true, right? That's not saying much, but when you consider Michelob Ultra or Natty Light , it does mean something. They don't import Königsbacher Pils and I don't like the highly hopped fru-fru beers much, in general. America's best tasting beer might not be all that great, but the price is right and at least as good as the other popular American pilsners.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    You know, I am one of those people who cannot stand clowns; I'm sure it doesn't help!
    Some clowns are cooler than others...

Attachment 77989

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Some clowns are cooler than others...

Attachment 77989
    Definitely.

I can't say much about Old Milwaukee. It's just a typical, thin, watery American commercial lager made with mild Tettenger, Spalt and Saatz hops, and injected Carbon Dioxide and egg whites for a head. It's about as good as other commercial brews like Budweiser and Miller, and cheaper. I guess it just depends on how bad you want a beer. In the past (in SE Asia) I've been so desperate for a beer that I even drank a Red Stripe, and a captured case of Tsingtao (these are not really beers, but embalming fluids disguised as a brew....). If I absolutely have to drink an American commercial brew, Killian's Red, or Michelob is my first choice.

I am more of an ale man, myself, but I have recently discovered a nice American brew in, of all places, Ingles grocery store. I buy ale and beer there because they allow you to buy singles and create your own six-pack 'sampler'. The name of this fine American beer is Batch #19 Pre-Prohibition Beer, made by, believe it or not, Coors Brewery. It wasn't very expensive at $12.99 for a 12-pack (in great looking amber bottles, no less), had a nice malty, slightly sweet taste, like a good Bavarian brew, with excellent body and well-hopped without being bitter. I could definitely discern the wonderful spicy, and slightly fruity aroma and taste of good Strissalspalt and Hersbrucker hops. You can't expect the nice creamy head of a naturally carbonated brew, nor the quality of a super-premium micro-brewery like Anchor Steam, Sierra Nevada, Blue Springs, etc..., but for the money, it was great. It's a well-crafted commercial brew. I'll most likely be buying some more at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    Hey, that's Old Mil you're dissing there! It says right there on the can, "America's Best Tasting Beer", and they couldn't say it if it weren't true, right? That's not saying much, but when you consider Michelob Ultra or Natty Light , it does mean something. They don't import Königsbacher Pils and I don't like the highly hopped fru-fru beers much, in general. America's best tasting beer might not be all that great, but the price is right and at least as good as the other popular American pilsners.
    Last edited by Gigmaster; 06-07-2013 at 01:25 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast