Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

A question about Aging

This is a discussion on A question about Aging within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Thanks to a fellow BOTL I now have a respectable amount of tobacco. Will this stuff go bad if I ...

A question about Aging

Thanks to a fellow BOTL I now have a respectable amount of tobacco. Will this stuff go bad if I jar it up and put some away? I mean, when you put tobacco away for a while does it matter if it is not sealed in the original tin?

The Cheese stands alone Commander Quan's Avatar

Re: A question about Aging

If you seal it in a mason jar it will start the aging process. Aging involves aerobic microbes eating breathing and farting inside the sealed container. When all the oxygen is used up anaerobic microbes start doing their job. If you have a tin that is sealed, this has been going on since it was sealed in the factory, once you break the seal and the tobacco is exposed to oxygen this process stops, it eventually will start over again, in the new sealed container.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!

nothing wrong with sealing some tabacco in a jar and leaving it for however long you can wait. Depending on the leaf some age better then others. Virginia, Va/per, and Orinital age the best. Latakia get softer but still age well, Burley may age abit but since it has no sugar to speak will remind the same. If your trying to age aro forget it. aro have soo much PG added and the blend is usually made with cavidish, which is steam pressed burley, but can be virginia. won't age at all

Aging? It sucks. Youth is wasted on the young.

There's been reams written on this forum alone on aging pipe tobacco. The science behind it is poorly understood but Derrick and Troy's advice is good. Jar it up or leave it in the tin and forget it.

There are those who say that once a tin is opened, the aging process is ruined. A sad lookout for bulk tobacco in that case. Hermetically sealed tins are a pretty new invention in smoking terms. I "age" my tobacco (really, I'm just greedy and buy more than I can smoke quickly) simply in the tin or (for Louisiana Flake and now Rich Dark Flake) in the pretty much unsealed bulk packs they are sold in. I just ensure they are kept humidified. Seems to work fine. The LF is better for it. I think the bulk of the benefit comes in the first six months or so; after that, the returns seem to me to be much diminished. I have some LF up to about two years old and the difference is minimal. Opinions do vary...
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

I like age in some blends, but not so much in others. Some need a little time to settle down & meld together, while others are great "fresh". As previously mentioned, age seems to soften the harsh edges in many blends. For example, while I absolutely adore a several year-old bowl of Stonehaven, I prefer my 1792 to be fresh & BOLD. I still age 1792 though, mostly because of scarcity.

Opinions vary, but as a general rule, nothing (except aros) get worse with age. Plus, if you ever decide to get rid of it, there are plenty of people who would be more than willing to take it off your hands. As long as you're aging quality tobacco, you'll be happy you set some aside.

“While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

I'm of the opinion that I will try the aging to see what happens! Unfortunately at this point I don't have a "now" jar and a "later" jar, so sometimes I forget and try some early... oops. Hope it doesn't reset the aging!!

I'm certainly a believer that something magical happens when a sealed tin sits for a long while, I have bulging tins to prove it. Does it make the tobacco "better", I'm not always sure? Maybe yes. I'm a relatively new piper compared to many of the fine gents on this forum, so I often wonder, "is the tobacco getting better, or am I just getting better at it?"

Nonetheless, I think the general consensus is to put it in a sealed mason jar and it certainly won't go bad...

Thanks for the info guys. I spent the past few hours jaring up all my baggies. It actually looks like I have something of a cellar going on now.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I spent the past few hours jaring up all my baggies. It actually looks like I have something of a cellar going on now.
    I think we at least deserve a photo???

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    I think we at least deserve a photo???

Here you go:

Very respectable indeed! Good stuff in there. Thanks for the photos.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Nice cellar! If you haven't seen in yet, check out GLP's discussion of aging.

G. L. Pease - Frequently Asked Questions

Scroll down to the "On The Aging of Tobacco" section about 3/4 of the way down the page.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

That's a good looking stash..

Quote Originally Posted by indigosmoke View Post
    Nice cellar! If you haven't seen in yet, check out GLP's discussion of aging.

G. L. Pease - Frequently Asked Questions

Scroll down to the "On The Aging of Tobacco" section about 3/4 of the way down the page.

Wow! Great read! Thanks.