Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Very first pipe tobacco to try?

This is a discussion on Very first pipe tobacco to try? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Hey guys, As you know i'm new here and I have yet to try out any of my pipes let ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Very first pipe tobacco to try?

Hey guys,
    As you know i'm new here and I have yet to try out any of my pipes let alone buy any tobacco. A friend recommended Dunhill Early Morning Pipe.

Would this be a good first time tobacco? Would it work good with breaking in my pipe?

If so what's the best place to order.

Re: Very first pipe tobacco to try?

If you're going to place an order, buy enough to sample a few things and GET FREE SHIPPING. And get a lot of regular pipe cleaners.

Failing that, go down to the drugstore/grocery store and buy some Prince Albert. Sir Walter Raleigh or Carter Hall will also serve. And some pipe cleaners.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewV View Post
    Hey guys,
    As you know i'm new here and I have yet to try out any of my pipes let alone buy any tobacco. A friend recommended Dunhill Early Morning Pipe.

Would this be a good first time tobacco? Would it work good with breaking in my pipe?

If so what's the best place to order.

Dunhill EMP would definitely be a good first tobacco. As a mild, ribbon cut English blend it will be the most forgiving to pack/light/smoke properly, and to detect flavors/aromas. It takes time to develop your palate for pipe tobacco, so don't be discouraged if you don't find much "there" to begin with. If you don't already retrohale with cigars, I definitely recommend it to get the most out of your pipe tobacco:
    How to Retrohale Cigar Smoke - YouTube

Some other good starter blends (in my opinion) are:

Samuel Gawith - Squadron Leader (if you can find it)
    GL Pease - Meridian, Caravan, Westminster
    McClelland - Frog Morton series, 3 Oaks, Old Dog
    One of the few virginia/perique blends I would recommend for a newbie is Hearth & Home's Anniversary Kake.

Some great places to order are smokingpipes.com, pipesandcigars.com, cupojoes.com, and 4noggins.com

If it helps, pipes and cigars I believe is doing a buy two tins, get one free this month. I bought 6 tins for 44 bucks shipped. I'd recommend some royal yacht and also London mixture. Even if you don't get free shipping, I thin shipping was 6 bucks, maybe a little more. I'm pretty sure it was pipes and cigars.

Also, you might consider the Newbie Sampler trade. You sign up and we'll pair you with an experienced pipe smoker. You buy him one tin of tobacco, and he (or she) sends you a sampler of various tobaccos to try in exchange. It really opened up the world of pipes and tobacco for me when I first did it.

^^^THIS!!!!

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Thanks for all the input guys! I ended up being impatient and finding a shop in town that carries the EMP. $13.99 a tin though Oh well I want to try one of my pipes already! And Danr I was reading about that earlier, that is an awsome idea, at the moment all my spare cash is spent but I will definately look into that in the near future. Chrono, didn't know what retrohaling was so watched the vid, I can and do do that with cigars so I will definately heed your advice and try it with the pipe, thanks for the great tip!

Prince Albert would have been cheaper and you could have afforded more pipe cleaners. (You did remember the pipe cleaners, right? )

You won't pay the least bit of attention to this; no one ever does. But the tobacco to start with in my opinion is Carter Hall.
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    You won't pay the least bit of attention to this; no one ever does. But the tobacco to start with in my opinion is Carter Hall.
    The CH and PA people are basically in the same ballpark -> codger smokes that are easy to burn. Maybe you'd like my take on CH, Mark.

Stately Carter Hall

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I agree one hundred per cent!

Maturing Puffer Fish

I'm definitely going to pick up a selection of the OTC tobacco's. Especially after trying a bowl of Jim's (Freestoke) Dart Mix last night, it smoked amazingly well in a MM Legend with maybe 1 relight while I watched a movie. It did seem to burn faster than I'm used to but I've been smoking mostly flake and kake blends lately and probably don't let them dry as much as I should. Also, no tongue bite at all and I wasn't smoking very slowly. I think from what I read in another post it's a blend of PA, 5 Brothers, and 4noggins 3 Blind Moose.

Full grown Puffer Fish Blue Raccoon's Avatar

CH or PA are very forgiving when it comes to technique and won't require constant attention and relights and won't goop up your new pipes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper2075 View Post
    I think from what I read in another post it's a blend of PA, 5 Brothers, and 4noggins 3 Blind Moose.
    Glad you liked it, Chad. It has more Kendal's Kentucky than anything else, but that's just British codger burley, a little stouter than the PA. I definitely smoke quite a bit of the PA and suchlike, and throw 5B in with things willy-nilly, to add a little Vitamin N and improve burning properties of slightly too moist tobacco.

No longer a community member.

Dan Sweet Vanilla Honeydew

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast