Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

PUFF Pipe 2013 - VOTE (Le Peltier Pipe Art)

This is a discussion on PUFF Pipe 2013 - VOTE (Le Peltier Pipe Art) within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by MarkC We need permission to use the artwork, or I want no part of it. ^^^ +2...

No longer a community member.

Re: PUFF Pipe 2013 - VOTE (Le Peltier Pipe Art)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    We need permission to use the artwork, or I want no part of it.
    ^^^ +2

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
    I have a LePeltier and I'm curious as to how well this is going to translate into the glaze firing. The Pineapple that is on mine is a VERY simple rendering. While I like the above pic I wonder if it is a little too detailed. I've worked with clay before and you can have a very detailed glaze painting before firing but the glaze tends to spread a little as it melts so you will lose detail and it could get muddied.
    This is a good question, if it is decided to use this image. Here's a club pipe done for the Sherlock Holmes pipe club in Boston. It gives some idea of the type of detail possible.

I think what also would need to be considered to get the best effect on this image is the relative size of the pipe smoker to the cloud of smoke and how they both will be positioned on the bowl without making the pipe smoker too small or too big and losing the effect of the original image. I imagine you'd need to make the smoker fairly small and the cloud of smoke a thick band around the rim perhaps but there might be other solutions that look good.

As for the copyright thing, I'm an artist so I'd definitely say the artist should be contacted. Who knows, they might well realize that there is no money being made here and be willing to give permission to use the image in exchange for photos they could use on their website as a promotional tool, or in exchange for a pipe, or some other arrangement/agreement. They might even be a pipe smoker, considering the image, who knows? Worth contacting them and finding out if they can be reached. Please understand that I have no dog in this fight as I didn't vote as I probably won't be getting the pipe. I just thought that contacting the artist might be worth it and might alleviate the concerns and let everyone have the pipe the want.
    Last edited by indigosmoke; 07-10-2013 at 04:16 PM.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Wow! I didn't think that level of detail was possible. How big is that pipe? My LePeltier is pretty small.

I don't know the size. I just found the pictures a while back in one of their club newsletters, but there was nothing in the pictures that gave a sense of scale. Here's the other picture I have:

I think this type of image might actually be a decal, which would account for the level of detail, but I could be wrong on that.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Either way it's a sharp looking pipe. This is a clay pipe? Who makes it?

Either way it's a sharp looking pipe. This is a clay pipe? Who makes it?
    It's a Le Peltier. Here is the link to the newsletters where I found the pictures:

http://www.shpcboston.org/nov08.htm

Sherlock Holmes Pipe Club of Boston - Monthly Newsletter

Alpha Puffer Fish drastic_quench's Avatar

Ah, so the site I got that picture from stole and modified it themselves. Not surprising.
    Any man who checks his watch while smoking his pipe is doing it wrong.

Very nice!

Quote Originally Posted by drastic_quench View Post
    Ah, so the site I got that picture from stole and modified it themselves. Not surprising.
    Yes, this is a sad but true state of affairs for all artists on the Internet. It is a constant battle between wanting to have your work seen and realizing that no matter how hard you try you'll never really control the images again. I'm a member of an artist's forum and it never ceases to amaze me what happens. A while back a woman posted a thread where a company in India had taken images of her artwork (watercolor paintings of flowers) and was using them to make pillow cases by simply cropping the image to remove her signature. She only found out about it when she happened to walk into TJ Maxx and see the pillowcases with her paintings on them!

Wow! I didn't think that level of detail was possible. How big is that pipe? My LePeltier is pretty small.
    Try this one; another Le Peltier for another board:

It looks like it can be a fairly complex work.
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by BrewShooter View Post
    I do like the Puffer fish, but would be fine with just the words Puff 2013 on the pipe.
    Same here.
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Try this one; another Le Peltier for another board:

It looks like it can be a fairly complex work.

Ok I stand impressed!

Full grown Puffer Fish Thirston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indigosmoke View Post
    Yes, this is a sad but true state of affairs for all artists on the Internet. It is a constant battle between wanting to have your work seen and realizing that no matter how hard you try you'll never really control the images again. I'm a member of an artist's forum and it never ceases to amaze me what happens. A while back a woman posted a thread where a company in India had taken images of her artwork (watercolor paintings of flowers) and was using them to make pillow cases by simply cropping the image to remove her signature. She only found out about it when she happened to walk into TJ Maxx and see the pillowcases with her paintings on them!
    That's hard to believe and says a lot. I wonder if she bought a pillow? Probably.

So it appears this thread has been smoked. Any updates?
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

Puffer Fish with some spikes houncer's Avatar

We can make it our 2014 pipe.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast