Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Igor's pipe carving thread.

This is a discussion on Igor's pipe carving thread. within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by iggy_jet Eddy, I realy appreciate your honest opinion, it's the only way I can improve. Thank you ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Er999's Avatar

Re: Igor's pipe carving thread.

Quote Originally Posted by iggy_jet View Post
    Eddy,

I realy appreciate your honest opinion, it's the only way I can improve.

Thank you for your input.

Igor

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

I think that you have a good eye for design, and clealy you have talent in carving. Without a lathe? Wow

Puffer Fish with some spikes iggy_jet's Avatar

Found this old Woodworking magazine in the yard sale this weekend.
    It's dated 1994 and as you can see it has an interesting Header. "The dying art of pipe making"
    Had to buy it. Now I think that I need to make the pipe featured in the article.

haha I love the opening sentence!

Quote Originally Posted by jco3rd View Post
    haha I love the opening sentence!
    LOL...

It's still true today.
    But there are diehard people who refuse to give up on some of pleasures in life.
    And some like Me who actually enjoy making pipes, even if it's a dying art.

Pfffff....according to the Docs and naysayers I should have died before I got to be 16! I say live each day to the fullest and enjoy everything life has to offer. You only come around this way once, why not enjoy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
    Pfffff....according to the Docs and naysayers I should have died before I got to be 16! I say live each day to the fullest and enjoy everything life has to offer. You only come around this way once, why not enjoy it?
    Chris,
    You mentioned that you would like to start carving your own pipes.
    It's addicting...some of the tools you will need for sure: Drill press, dremel tool, files, destop grinder/sander or a modified belt sender etc. sandpaper, buffing wheels. And some wood to practice with before you work with briar or other woods you intend to use.

Thanks! I'll keep the above in mind. Already have a dremel and craigslist will get me an inexpensive grinder. I'd thought about getting some chunks of 2x4 or something cheap to practice with. Don't want to spend $30 on a chunk of briar and make a mess out of it.

Speaking of messing up a piece of briar.
    Take a look at this pipe. I got the shape cut, glued a piece of zebra wood for a nice contrast etc.
    Everything looked good and then I started drilling for air hole etc. Next thing I know there is a hole at the bottom of the pipe.. not exactly what I wanted.
    I didn't want to give up so I redrilled the hole and used an old carpenter trick... mixed up some glue with saw dust and pached the hole. It looked OK.. ???
    Then I start fitting the stem... and zebra wood splits at the bottom of the pipe. I still finished making the pipe. It's perfectly usable and I can epoxy the crack, but it's frustrating. Guess I will leave it in the garage and use it as is.

Awesome Thread.... I have wanted to try my hand at for sometime, but don't understand how to fit the stems.

Wizard of the puff shire Gandalf The Gray's Avatar

Speaking of messing up a piece of briar.
    Take a look at this pipe. I got the shape cut, glued a piece of zebra wood for a nice contrast etc.
    Everything looked good and then I started drilling for air hole etc. Next thing I know there is a hole at the bottom of the pipe.. not exactly what I wanted.
    I didn't want to give up so I redrilled the hole and used an old carpenter trick... mixed up some glue with saw dust and pached the hole. It looked OK.. ???
    Then I start fitting the stem... and zebra wood splits at the bottom of the pipe. I still finished making the pipe. It's perfectly usable and I can epoxy the crack, but it's frustrating. Guess I will leave it in the garage and use it as is.

It happens! I know a guy at work who wood works, and he has had a few pieces that he has carved near finished just to have a split form in the wood. Like he says, you just have to either salvage it or toss it and start again. But It is great practice Igor I love the way the zebra wood looks on it.

Igor, if nothing else you have a usable pipe that you don't mind getting knocked around! At least a briar block is more forgiving to mistakes than, say, an engine block! Heh, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumComp View Post
    Awesome Thread.... I have wanted to try my hand at for sometime, but don't understand how to fit the stems.
    Mitch,

You can buy a briar block that was drilled and stem fitted to start with.
    There are special stem tennon tools for making the stems that are adjustable to the size of the hole you wish to drill in the pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
    Igor, if nothing else you have a usable pipe that you don't mind getting knocked around! At least a briar block is more forgiving to mistakes than, say, an engine block! Heh, heh.
    You are right Chris.
    Or give it to afriend that I know will enjoy it...
    BTW, check your messages.

You are right Chris.
    Or give it to afriend that I know will enjoy it...
    BTW, check your messages.

There is truth to what you say!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast