Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Igor's pipe carving thread.

This is a discussion on Igor's pipe carving thread. within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Did an other pipe. This is a little bit different then what I have done up to now. It's a ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes iggy_jet's Avatar

Re: Igor's pipe carving thread.

Did an other pipe.
    This is a little bit different then what I have done up to now. It's a traditional style pipe, fully rusticated, stained and finished with lacquer.
    Your thoughts!!!

Wizard of the puff shire Gandalf The Gray's Avatar

Nice Igor. I like the way it turned out, I am not a fan of the lacquer. I would have maybe done a coating of oil, let that dry and then hit it with a coat of carnauba wax? I do like the rustication on it!

Very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by iggy_jet View Post
    Did an other pipe.
    This is a little bit different then what I have done up to now. It's a traditional style pipe, fully rusticated, stained and finished with lacquer.
    Your thoughts!!!

Shines like a gem!!! Where do you get your stems from?

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf The Gray View Post
    Nice Igor. I like the way it turned out, I am not a fan of the lacquer. I would have maybe done a coating of oil, let that dry and then hit it with a coat of carnauba wax? I do like the rustication on it!
    I was expecting that lacquer would not be a popular finish on a pipe. The reason I did lacquer is from reading some interviews with pipe makers, including Bo Nordh and they all used lacquers on their pipes. I personally like the look of the deep shine on a pipe that is rusticated.

Bo Nordh (from RR 13 Mar. 1994) The Pipe Club of Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by jco3rd View Post
    Shines like a gem!!! Where do you get your stems from?
    John,

I made this one, but some of the other stems I used came from ebay.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Er999's Avatar

Pipe #3

Did not know if I should post here or elsewhere so I will post here since it was this thread that started this. If I need to post elsewhere then I will.
    Recently I purchased a pipe from Igor (iggy_jet) it is the pipe from the quote above this. I also had the opportunity to smoke it yesterday, here is the "quasi-review"

First I gravity fed mcbaren Scottish mixture until it was full then added a pinch more while lightly pressing down. The first thing that comes to mind is (when the pipe is in the mouth) " I can't see where I'm lighting!!!" Igor's pipe carving thread.-image.jpgI got it lit albeit a bit awkwardly. The draw was ok, early tamping was fine...and then we get to a quarter of the way down. At this point (before or after don't remember but around then) when tamping it started to take a bit of a slant (due to the way the pipe is made and the tobacco being burned) (EDIT: I may not have done the tamping properly when I was doing this and the fact that it was awkward might have had something to do with it...)
    Also when doing subsequent relightings the flame would start scorching the briar because of the slant of the pipe. Igor's pipe carving thread.-image.jpg If there was "juice" in the stem then when trying to light the pipe in a normal Igor's pipe carving thread.-image.jpgIgor's pipe carving thread.-image.jpg(traditional pipe hole as opposed to this pipe hole and apologies for the comparison but it was what I had on hand at the moment, it's a mm Washington cob) the "juice" will start to dribble into your mouth. Igor's pipe carving thread.-image.jpgIgor's pipe carving thread.-image.jpg
    I continued on this this manner until I started to get a small buzz (nicotine lightweight here I did not want to risk getting sick) I stopped and emptied the pipe, turns out I almost finished the pipe even with the slanted tamping.
    Finally, it needs to be pointed out that the draw hole (in the bowl area) is centered at the bottom of the bowl as opposed to the side of the bowl (I think...) Igor's pipe carving thread.-image.jpgI believe that this might have some (small) effect on the smoking although I'm not that sure of it, still needed to be said.
    All in all, it was a good smoke and a nicely made pipe however I am going to be (very slowly) working on the pipe, it won't be the favorite but it will make a good display and occasional smoke in progress pipe.
    I am going to end this here.
    BTW: I was having some problems posting the extra pics, I apparenly still do in the case of the upside down pipe in my teeth (if you look closely you can see my face on the side as a reference, and yes I'm camera shy...for now.) if someone can tell me how to rotate the picture in question (I'm using the puff site storage) besides taking the picture again then that would help. (used a mini ipad to take the pics, and thanks in advance.)
    Last edited by Er999; 08-09-2013 at 11:11 PM. Reason: adding extra pics

Eddy,

Thank you for your review of the pipe.

This pipe is the 3rd pipe that I made so to hear your say "All in all, it was a good smoke and a nicely made pipe however I am going to be (very slowly) working on the pipe, it won't be the favorite but it will make a good display and occasional smoke in progress pipe. " I take that a compliment. As far you saying that It won't be your favorite.... guess will have to wait and see.

Igor

I was expecting that lacquer would not be a popular finish on a pipe. The reason I did lacquer is from reading some interviews with pipe makers, including Bo Nordh and they all used lacquers on their pipes. I personally like the look of the deep shine on a pipe that is rusticated.

Bo Nordh (from RR 13 Mar. 1994) The Pipe Club of Sweden

Igor, that's a great article!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Er999's Avatar

Eddy,

Thank you for your review of the pipe.

This pipe is the 3rd pipe that I made so to hear your say "All in all, it was a good smoke and a nicely made pipe however I am going to be (very slowly) working on the pipe, it won't be the favorite but it will make a good display and occasional smoke in progress pipe. " I take that a compliment. As far you saying that It won't be your favorite.... guess will have to wait and see.

Igor
    I guess we'll see.

No time for carving pipes this weekend.
    Spending time with the family. Yesturday we took our 1974 Glastron Carlson out for a few hours. Tubing, kneeboarding, waterskiing etc.
    Great weather, good times, all 3 kids had a blast. We try to get out on the water several times a week.

This is my older son chilling on the boat at the launch.

Sounds like fun!

Maturing Puffer Fish

gorgeous work!

Quote Originally Posted by abcritt View Post
    gorgeous work!
    Thank you Aaron.

Received a package from Igor last week. Contained not just one, but TWO pipes! The acorn pipe and the ugly pipe. Due to the fact that I am still unpacking and participating in GISHWHES: the Greatest International Scavenger Hunt the World Has Ever Seen ( GISHWHES :: GISHWHES ) I have not yet had time to take pictures or smoke either of them. Soon as this week's activities are done I will try them both. The ugly one will likely reside in the Jeep and be a travel pipe. I will post pics soon.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast