Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My take on plugs...

This is a discussion on My take on plugs... within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I usually rub everything out and smoke it as ribbon but I like the way densely pressed plugs and flakes ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Re: My take on plugs...

I usually rub everything out and smoke it as ribbon but I like the way densely pressed plugs and flakes age.

Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    With how much of a manly-man you are Dan, I'm surprised you don't like plugs!
    I guess I'm just lazy... I will give it another shot, as I have a tin of Peterson's Perfect Pipers Pleasure Plug (I think that's what it's called) in the cellar. Maybe I just need a sharper knife and more practice?

I think I will take it out and bite off a chunk to chew while I prep the slices for the pipe!

the whole idea of dealing with a plug to me sounds great. Now from what I've seen on dealing with cutting plugs into flakes. Would be to take a meat cleaver, a rather good one, and just slowly cutting into the plug till you get the desired flake you want. Give the Chinese meat cleaver a try Dan

Wizard of the puff shire Gandalf The Gray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post
    I guess I'm just lazy... I will give it another shot, as I have a tin of Peterson's Perfect Pipers Pleasure Plug (I think that's what it's called) in the cellar. Maybe I just need a sharper knife and more practice?

I think I will take it out and bite off a chunk to chew while I prep the slices for the pipe!

I would defiantly give it another go Dan . I'd say depending on how much you plan to cut off, 3-5 minutes for cutting and lets say about the same for rubbing it out afterwards. Not much time at all, and with a sharp enough knife, it shouldn't be a hassle at all!

Quote Originally Posted by laloin View Post
    the whole idea of dealing with a plug to me sounds great. Now from what I've seen on dealing with cutting plugs into flakes. Would be to take a meat cleaver, a rather good one, and just slowly cutting into the plug till you get the desired flake you want. Give the Chinese meat cleaver a try Dan
    I'd say this is a good route to possessing fewer fingers...

I've always cut "across the grain" with a small pen-knife. Rather than trying to cut a flake, just cut thin slivers from the corners and across the shorter dimension. Much easier than slicing a full flake, I'd imagine. My experience of different flakes is quite limited, but the ones I've used have then pretty much crumbled to a useable form. I've seen description of cutting into cubes, flakes, separating the leaves and such. Seems very involved. Maybe I'm the lazy one.

OK...

I've just tried to see if it is possible to deal with a bar of Revor Plug (pretty typical of the breed) with a cigar cutter. It is. Slice thin bites off the small end of the bar (bit too wide for my cutter; cut the corner off) with a decent two blade cutter of unknown manufacture. No problem at all. Voila.
    Last edited by steinr1; 08-07-2013 at 05:45 AM.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by DanR View Post

Use a cigar cutter. Makes it a whole lot easier to cut off pieces for rubbing out.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Andrewdk's Avatar

This thread made me break into some 3P I got from Commander Quan in the Secret pipe Santa a few years back. I liked it, mind you I think the tobacco was 3-4 years old. As for prep I tried slicing flakes and then shaving flakes all with no luck. So I cut corners, literally I just kept slicing at the corner was easy. Ended up with a broken flake like cut that smoked great.
    The land of milk and honey, a safe haven and the last bastion of freedom - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/andrewdk

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewdk View Post
    This thread made me break into some 3P I got from Commander Quan in the Secret pipe Santa a few years back. I liked it, mind you I think the tobacco was 3-4 years old. As for prep I tried slicing flakes and then shaving flakes all with no luck. So I cut corners, literally I just kept slicing at the corner was easy. Ended up with a broken flake like cut that smoked great.

Doesn't much matter how you slice it, it's gonna be flakey.
    Last edited by freestoke; 08-21-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Leading Puffer Fish bluesman.54's Avatar

Interesting discussion...I'll have to give it a try. Off the corners sounds like the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman.54 View Post
    Interesting discussion...I'll have to give it a try. Off the corners sounds like the way to go.
    Easy to do with a cigar cutter, too.

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    I would love to have that, but it would just be one more thing for my wife to gripe about and try to throw out.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachman View Post
    I would love to have that, but it would just be one more thing for my wife to gripe about and try to throw out.
    The trick is to hide it...

Hang on...

Name:  Uncanny resembance.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  79.2 KB

Separated at birth?

(I really have too much time on my hands.)

Robert, My wife enjoyed that one.
    Those that know don't tell, and those that tell don't know.

Young Puffer Fish

I enjoy plugs and flakes for a few reasons but the main one for me is I feel like I get my moneys worth more so than with a traditional ribbon cut . Smoking time is greatly enhanced due to the cut. I can smoke jackknife plug for a hour a bowl where a ribbon cut takes less than half of that.. I would say almost all of my purchases these days are flakes, plugs, or ropes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast