Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

My take on plugs...

This is a discussion on My take on plugs... within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Andrewdk This thread made me break into some 3P I got from Commander Quan in the Secret ...

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Re: My take on plugs...

Quote Originally Posted by Andrewdk View Post
    This thread made me break into some 3P I got from Commander Quan in the Secret pipe Santa a few years back. I liked it, mind you I think the tobacco was 3-4 years old. As for prep I tried slicing flakes and then shaving flakes all with no luck. So I cut corners, literally I just kept slicing at the corner was easy. Ended up with a broken flake like cut that smoked great.
    I have some 3 P that has been laying around for about a year. Couldn't get it to cut easy or burn well when lit. Gonna give your method a try thanks!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Marlow's Avatar

Revor plug and Mick McQuaid are wonderful tobaccos.

Revor is very easy to deal with because it is not as tightly pressed as other plugs.

Young Fish

I've progressed in packing this year. My method, which works fabulously for me, is to pinch a bowl-full of loose tobacco, and as much as possible, keep the compression as I load the bowl, pushing that wad in until it just touches the bottom of the bowl. The compression extends the length of the smoke, and being careful about the tobacco touching but not pushing against the bottom of the bowl minimizes a poor draw. With flake I make matchsticks and partially rub them out, pinch and as above.

The Cheese stands alone Commander Quan's Avatar

I bought 4 tins of Jackknife Plug the day it was released. I opened one of the tins and cellared the others. From that one tine I smoked a couple bowls and put it away and forgot about it. I just opened it up last week and the moisture was perfect. I'm not sure if this says more about the plug format or the C&D can's

I've been cube cutting the tobacco, which tends to fall apart so they're more like square cut ribbon pieces, and while it's not as easy as stuffing a pipe with some ribbon or ready rubbed it's not that big of a nuisance to prep some flake.
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!

Young Fish

For some reason about 6 years ago I developed the fantasy that the best compressed tobacco smoking was slow smoking and that the more intact the compressed tobacco was, the slower it would burn and the better. Although all of this is true, it took a long time until I figured out that I had to strike a compromise between the slower burn and keeping it lit. Right now I make the matchsticks with flake, put them in a neat pile and rub them it out en masse in my palms. Some matchsticks remain but are 3/4 of what the others are as regards length, some 1/2 and most 1/4. That's been working well for me.

Well, I got a brick of jackknife plug this week in the pipe tobacco pass that BigBehr started, and tried the cigar cutter trick this morning. It worked flawlessly. Perfect sized bits of tobacco that packed easily into my pipe and are smoking terrifically. It was even kind of fun cutting away at it. I guess the only issue now is that I have a near perfect round disk of tobacco - no more corners to cut off. Nonetheless, I think it'll be easy enough to get the cutter around the top and bottom of the plug to keep chipping away at it.

The tobacco is good too. A little smokey, which is a perfect compliment to the eggs and ham I just had for breakfast.

Young Fish

I've got both Jackknife and Navigator in the cellar and just finished a tin of Old Dark Fired. I think I'll go with Navigator. From what I understand JNP is more Dark Fired and Navigator more complex?

Quote Originally Posted by 4noggins.com_Mike View Post
    I've got both Jackknife and Navigator in the cellar and just finished a tin of Old Dark Fired. I think I'll go with Navigator. From what I understand JNP is more Dark Fired and Navigator more complex?
    JNP is indeed dark fired. Navigator has some dark fired in it, but it's a little lighter, plus it has an addition of rum (very subtle IMO). I don't know if that makes it more complex, but it's certainly different.

And then there's -- Cannon Plug. Another one I can't smoke in the house -- or want to. But I DO want to smoke it! Ennerdale's trashy cousin.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    And then there's -- Cannon Plug. Another one I can't smoke in the house -- or want to. But I DO want to smoke it! Ennerdale's trashy cousin.
    How can I resist?

It's on my list for plug purchase. My usual supplier has started offering plug tobaccos in small quantities rather than a full box, so several are up there. Cannon, Grousemoor, Full Virginia, St. James and maybe one or two others.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3