Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Ok, here's a question for you pipe pros.....

This is a discussion on Ok, here's a question for you pipe pros..... within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I have a Savinelli pipe that has a smooth finish. Can this pipe be rusticated? Is there some type of ...

Ok, here's a question for you pipe pros.....

I have a Savinelli pipe that has a smooth finish. Can this pipe be rusticated? Is there some type of process to do this? I just thought that someone may have experimented with this. Maybe some amateur pipe makers?

Wizard of the puff shire Gandalf The Gray's Avatar

Re: Ok, here's a question for you pipe pros.....

Hello Perry! I am not a pipe expert, but I did rusticate a pipe recently. How To Restore Estate Pipes YOUR QUESTIONS ANSWERED HERE

It was easy to do, and there is many ways you can create a rustication. I guess it all depends on your preference, one thing That I would take into consideration is how thick the wood is on the pipe. If it is a thick bowl then there should not be a problem. But again I am no expert.

Thanks for the response Matthew. That looks awesome. It is a "KS" Savinelli so there is plenty of wood to work with. I really like the look that you achieved. Any interest in hiring out? I am serious btw. Here is a pic of the pipe in question. Nothing wrong with it, just don't like the color. And I kinda prefer rusticated. I like the way it feels in the hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Perry72 View Post
    Thanks for the response Matthew. That looks awesome. It is a "KS" Savinelli so there is plenty of wood to work with. I really like the look that you achieved. Any interest in hiring out? I am serious btw. Here is a pic of the pipe in question. Nothing wrong with it, just don't like the color. And I kinda prefer rusticated. I like the way it feels in the hand.

That is a great looking pipe! Lol, no way my friend, I would be too afraid to mess up a fellow puffers Pipe! But, I can throw you some links and give a little advice. You can use pretty much anything to rusticate really, I used a modified Phillips screw driver. I have seen people use modified flat heads, bundles of nails, dremels...Pretty much anything that can gouge the wood out, but you also have rustication in the form of say, lines or patterns. And each object or method gives a certain rustic look. I just eyed where I wanted my lines to start and end, and went at it pushing into the wood and then twisting. When I thought I was taking too much wood off I eased up and continued with half twists and switched back and forth. When I got to the lines where the smooth wood met I twisted inward back towards the rusticated areas.

Not much to it really. But here are some links that you might find interesting and helpful

Rustication

Rustication - Pipedia

ZWARTKLOOF HAWKBILL, My rustication technique step by step, Piet Binsbergen | reborn pipes

Rustication

Another Rustication – another finish with the new tool | reborn pipes

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf The Gray View Post
    That is a great looking pipe! Lol, no way my friend, I would be too afraid to mess up a fellow puffers Pipe! But, I can throw you some links and give a little advice. You can use pretty much anything to rusticate really, I used a modified Phillips screw driver. I have seen people use modified flat heads, bundles of nails, dremels...Pretty much anything that can gouge the wood out, but you also have rustication in the form of say, lines or patterns. And each object or method gives a certain rustic look. I just eyed where I wanted my lines to start and end, and went at it pushing into the wood and then twisting. When I thought I was taking too much wood off I eased up and continued with half twists and switched back and forth. When I got to the lines where the smooth wood met I twisted inward back towards the rusticated areas.

Not much to it really. But here are some links that you might find interesting and helpful

Rustication

Rustication - Pipedia

ZWARTKLOOF HAWKBILL, My rustication technique step by step, Piet Binsbergen | reborn pipes

Rustication

Another Rustication – another finish with the new tool | reborn pipes
    Thank you sir. Looks like a project on the way...:-)

Puffer Fish with some spikes iggy_jet's Avatar

What about getting an other pipe that is rusticated, and leaving a nice pipe that you have alone?

Quote Originally Posted by iggy_jet View Post
    What about getting an other pipe that is rusticated, and leaving a nice pipe that you have alone?
    Now what would be the fun in that Igor?

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf The Gray View Post
    Now what would be the fun in that Igor?
    +1

That's a mighty fine looking pipe! Maybe you should practice on a cheaper, less-attractive pipe?

I wish I had a similar rusticated one to trade you......
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Screw it. I'll try to trade it. I would probably just ruin it anyway. It's in the trade section if anyone is interested.

Screw it. I'll try to trade it. I would probably just ruin it anyway. It's in the trade section if anyone is interested.
    One thing about rusticating Perry, is there is no right and wrong. Even the mess up's can add to the rustication of the pipe . I went ahead and rusticated a straight pipe I had. I actually like the way this one turned out allot. I went a little hard on the shank, but it turned out nice. I still need to dye it and finish it with something..

Before:

After:

That does look cool. Awesome job!

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

I have a Savinelli pipe that has a smooth finish. Can this pipe be rusticated? Is there some type of process to do this? I just thought that someone may have experimented with this. Maybe some amateur pipe makers?
    If you want to send it here with return postage, I'll glass bead blast the sh*t out of it in the cabinet blaster..
    No guarantees on what it will turn out like though... I've never blasted briar before

Maturing Puffer Fish

Matt, that looks awesome!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast