Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 46

Will 20000.01 win me this pipe?

This is a discussion on Will 20000.01 win me this pipe? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Chris0673 What are you trying to say, bub??? My Jeep was 7k! And I'll put my Jeep ...

  
  1. #16

    Wizard of the puff shire Gandalf The Gray's Avatar


     

    Re: Will 20000.01 win me this pipe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris0673 View Post
    What are you trying to say, bub??? My Jeep was 7k! And I'll put my Jeep against any 30k watch, or 100k+ luxury car!

    LOL just kiddin. You're probably right. To me that would be a colossal waste of money. But then I've had the same $30 Timex for 15 years!

    Just think, 7k............worth of tobacco! That is what I would drop the money on if I had it, and maybe $300-500 on a quality pipe. Everything I own, including my car does not even come up to $7000.

  2. #17

    Leading Puffer Fish Chris0673's Avatar


     

    Re: Will 20000.01 win me this pipe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf The Gray View Post
    Just think, 7k............worth of tobacco! That is what I would drop the money on if I had it, and maybe $300-500 on a quality pipe. Everything I own, including my car does not even come up to $7000.
    Now THAT'S the first good idea I've seen on this thread! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

  3. #18

    Evolving Lead Puffer Fish


     

    Re: Will 20000.01 win me this pipe?

    Hey my used sentra was 12k and I love the thing, that being said it doesn't mean I don't understand someone who can afford a 250,000+ car buying one. We can't judge prices by our standards because clearly these items weren't produced or targeted towards us. I can only hope that one day I can even think about paying that much for a pipe. To the point where the price doesn't even make me blink.

  4. #19

    Elder Puffer Fish Leader MarkC's Avatar


     

    Re: Will 20000.01 win me this pipe?

    Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Truly, it's because someone will pay that much for it.

    They are (apparently - I don't know much about them) meticulously made from the best materials possible and entirely by hand. The shapes are dictated by the nature of the wood and I'm sure there would be a huge number of false starts and discarded rough pipes. No fault in the wood was tolerated. All that makes a pipe expensive. I read that each pipe represents 100 hours of labour. Almost three weeks pay for a highly skilled artisan, plus materials, overhead and, of course, profit. Taking that into account, $7000 doesn't seem that outrageous.

    As regards how "good" these pipes really are, there is a law of diminishing returns at play. I'm sure any of us would notice that these pipes smoke better than a "normal" factory pipe. Certainly the appearance is delightful (if you like the particular pipe; there are some really odd ones - that's what was "in the wood") and the craftsmanship will be obvious. But would most of us notice that it smoked better than a $400 pipe? I probably wouldn't. Better than a $1000 pipe? Perhaps no-one could tell. Until they looked for the maker's stamp. What makes a Van Gogh "better" than a really well executed painting and allows them to demand the prices they fetch? Sadly, these days, it's the signature.
    Well put, although I'd rather you had used Matisse or Picasso rather than my favorite in your example...

    Another point to add to this: Is a Bo Nordh better than say, a Tom Eltang? I wouldn't know; both are way above my level. But there's this: Eltang can still make a pipe for you; Nordh cannot.
    ********.com

  5. #20

    Young Puffer Fish


     

    Re: Will 20000.01 win me this pipe?

    If and I mean if I somehow magically came Into posession of a 7k pipe I dont think I could bring myself to smoke it. I havnt smoked the 150$ Pete I bought new a few weeks ago.

  6. #21

    Elder Puffer Fish Leader MarkC's Avatar


     

    Re: Will 20000.01 win me this pipe?

    I hear you. I'd probably sell it unsmoked and buy about thirty others...
    ********.com

  7. #22

    Evolving Lead Puffer Fish


     

    Re: Will 20000.01 win me this pipe?

    I have to say I like high end hand carved pipes, but this is crazy! I absolutely love Larry Roush's pipes, but I can't even bring myself to spend the $600-$900 for one of them. $300 is about the max I'll spend...prob would go a bit higher if I found something I absolutely fell in love with or if I found a great used Roush I liked, but that's about it! $150-200 is really my comfort zone, but I have pushed it to $300 once! lol

  8. #23

    Elder Puffer Fish Leader MarkC's Avatar


     

    Re: Will 20000.01 win me this pipe?

    Well, you have to keep in mind that very few people start out buying thousand dollar pipes. But if you've been smoking for years, spending a couple of hundred each on pipes and have fifty, what's the point in buying another $200 pipe? Keep going long enough, and you'll be up there with the lunatics...
    ********.com

  9. #24

    Leading Puffer Fish Chris0673's Avatar


     

    Re: Will 20000.01 win me this pipe?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Well, you have to keep in mind that very few people start out buying thousand dollar pipes. But if you've been smoking for years, spending a couple of hundred each on pipes and have fifty, what's the point in buying another $200 pipe? Keep going long enough, and you'll be up there with the lunatics...
    You make a logical point here. (wait...is there really any logic in this hobby???) It's kind of like upgrades for my Jeep. I started with a cheapo $80 spring lift and a few other inexpensive doodads years ago. Now I'm looking at a dropping $3500 on a 4 inch lift kit, another $2000 on bigger tires, and about $3000 on a new roll cage, roof rack, and excursion rack. I guess it all adds up when you really think about it.

  10. #25

    Snuff-hound steinr1's Avatar


     

    Re: Will 20000.01 win me this pipe?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Well put, although I'd rather you had used Matisse or Picasso rather than my favorite in your example...
    I regreted using Van Gogh as soon as I wrote it. His art is special. Perhaps the prices reflect the madness of collecting and the art market, but they are intrinsically special. They transcend the often banal subjects.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

  11. #26

    Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar


     

    Re: Will 20000.01 win me this pipe?

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I'll wager you don't know very much about pipes.
    Well aren't you the crotchety old man.

    I know enough about pipes to know they can only smoke so good - after that it's just bling and 'LOOKIT ME!'

    I know enough about spoons to know that this one --> VTG Intl Silver CO Silverplated Serving Spoon 12 1 2" Never Used MD IN China | eBay
    ... doesn't ladle my soup any better than the $6.00 cheapie in my kitchen-junk drawer.

    However, most of my experience has been in human nature; enough to be disappointed in most people, most of the time.

  12. #27

    Snuff-hound steinr1's Avatar


     

    Re: Will 20000.01 win me this pipe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Zurg View Post
    I know enough about spoons to know that this one --> VTG Intl Silver CO Silverplated Serving Spoon 12 1 2" Never Used MD IN China | eBay
    ... doesn't ladle my soup any better than the $6.00 cheapie in my kitchen-junk drawer.
    Ah, well... Perhaps not so.

    My son quoted some research yesterday that showed that some foods taste better when served and eaten (blind) with different metals. It's traditionally known that Mother-of-Pearl is needed for caviar to maintain a clean taste. I think the research showed gold was even better. It's not always bling.

    Back on the pipe track, the differences between the very high-end and the merely high-end may be extremely small but they matter to performance. Material quality, construction and yes, even finish. Diminishing returns apply and I personally might not be able to discern them, but others might and certainly claim they can. And beauty is also a commodity that needs to be paid for.

    The name "Bo Nordh" attracts a big premium, but only because of the proven track record in these other matters.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

  13. #28

    Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar


     

    Re: Will 20000.01 win me this pipe?

    Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Ah, well... Perhaps not so.

    My son quoted some research yesterday that showed that some foods taste better when served and eaten (blind) with different metals. It's traditionally known that Mother-of-Pearl is needed for caviar to maintain a clean taste. I think the research showed gold was even better. It's not always bling.

    Back on the pipe track, the differences between the very high-end and the merely high-end may be extremely small but they matter to performance. Material quality, construction and yes, even finish. Diminishing returns apply and I personally might not be able to discern them, but others might and certainly claim they can. And beauty is also a commodity that needs to be paid for.

    The name "Bo Nordh" attracts a big premium, but only because of the proven track record in these other matters.
    I will have to take your word for that. I am just a cave-man at heart and always have been. Probably always will be...
    I view that pipe as 'a piece of art that looks like a pipe' not as an actual smoking pipe... and since I've never cared for art... well... you know.
    I smoke a pipe simply for the taste and aroma. I find they taste and smell best when I'm far away from everyone, out in the woods where I like to be.

    For the record, I think foods taste better when I'm the one who recently killed it

  14. #29

    Elder Puffer Fish Leader MarkC's Avatar


     

    Re: Will 20000.01 win me this pipe?

    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Zurg View Post
    Well aren't you the crotchety old man.

    I know enough about pipes to know they can only smoke so good - after that it's just bling and 'LOOKIT ME!'
    Sorry. I didn't mean it as a negative comment, just a statement of fact. When you state that a Bo Nordh pipe isn't going to smoke any better than a four dollar cob, anyone who has any experience with well made hand carved pipes knows that you're full of it.
    ********.com

  15. #30

    Leading Puffer Fish Troutman22's Avatar


     

    Re: Will 20000.01 win me this pipe?

    I can see by the replies that some of you think my 20k bid is way out there. Just an FYI for you:

    ESTATE PIPES -  TWO FRIENDS PIPES
    Pipe Tobacco Lotto winner for July 2014!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •