Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Will 20000.01 win me this pipe?

This is a discussion on Will 20000.01 win me this pipe? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Troutman22 Bo Nordh has a following as one of the best carvers to ever live. I assume ...

No longer a community member.

Re: Will 20000.01 win me this pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by Troutman22 View Post
    Bo Nordh has a following as one of the best carvers to ever live. I assume this is similar to buying an Elvis guitar or a Abe Lincoln hat.
    Depending on which hat you're referring to, at least the pipe is undamaged and functional.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Sorry. I didn't mean it as a negative comment, just a statement of fact. When you state that a Bo Nordh pipe isn't going to smoke any better than a four dollar cob, anyone who has any experience with well made hand carved pipes knows that you're full of it.
    My apologies; this was an unfair post. Here's what I should have posted...

My experience with pipes is limited, and I have absolutely zero experience with high end pipes. What experience I do have is with pipes in the two hundred dollar range. Now, in my experience with pipes, I have found that pipes in the one hundred dollar range (in my case, Stanwells) smoke significantly better than a standard cob (remember, we're talking about a 'four dollar cob', not one with a forever-type stem). The pipes I normally smoke (Cavichhis and Radices; I can't afford the comparable Danish pipes I'd love to have!) smoke significantly better than the Stanwells. (Note: this is just an 'average' assessment; one of my Stanwells is a fantastic smoker, comparable to the higher priced pipes; one is practically unsmokeable. And I'm sure that if I keep buying pipes in the two hundred dollar range, I'm bound to hit a stinker eventually.) Now, you're expecting me to believe that a Bo Nordh is comparable to a cob, which means it smokes worse than not only a Cavicchi or a Radice, but also worse than a Stanwell. I find this hard to believe, but if you have evidence to the contrary (not assumptions!), I'd love to hear it.
    ********.com

I can't immediately find the post to quote about the Lincoln hat and Elvis guitar, but I'd say that the cases are different to a "Celebrity Artisan" pipe. The hat is just a hat and the guitar is just a guitar but for the provenance. There are many just like them. But a Bo Nordh pipe is special for another reason. It's better made than any other pipe.

Probably. Maybe this is all a scam and the pipes are simply re-stamped Dr Grabows. After all, no-one could possibly tell by smoking them...

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Zurg View Post
    For the record, I think foods taste better when I'm the one who recently killed it
    Ahah! So what you are saying is that there is pleasure and therefore value beyond the simple objective. A bit like paying above the odds for a pipe that smokes no better than a less expensive one just because you get a kick from the way it looks or who made it...
    Last edited by steinr1; 08-21-2013 at 03:26 AM.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Nice pipe, but $50 shipping is a deal killer.
    THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Aren't you afraid I'll snipe you at the last second now that you've told me your bid?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

It is safe to assume this is more than likely a great smoking pipe, but obviously that is not what is driving the price/value. Just as a Louis Vuitton purse doesn't function any better than a purse purchased at K Mart. What drive the reputation for these items is obviously quality. I use to go through a wallet a year. I've now had my LV wallet for 8 years. Based on that it's obvious it is of higher quality, but does that alone justify the difference in a $550 wallet and a $20 one...no! Obviously you are paying for a name, reputation, visual appeal. With all that being said when looking at quality you can't compare that LV bag to the K Mart one because there is no comparison. I believe this is the comparison Mark is trying to make between this pipe and the cob. Do they both smoke tobacco...yes, do they do it on the same level...no. I, like Mark, smoke pipes in the $175-$300 range. I can tell you I've owned 2 JM Boswell pipes, which at the time I paid $50-$75 for, a Butz Choquin, & a Savinelli. IMO they are not nearly as good of smokers as my Tinsky's or L'Anatra. Which is why it baffles me that Boswell can get the premiums he currently gets, but that's for a whole other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiMikePA View Post
    ...I use to go through a wallet a year. I've now had my LV wallet for 8 years. Based on that it's obvious it is of higher quality, but does that alone justify the difference in a $550 wallet and a $20 one...no!
    Maybe "Yes!".

How long does it take to go and buy that annual wallet? What's your hourly rate? How far is the store? What gas mileage do you get? What's the cost of your frustration in having another crap wallet disintegrate on you?

Looking at the real and opportunity costs, the LV wallet starts to look like a bargain.

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Ahah! So what you are saying is that there is pleasure and therefore value beyond the simple objective. A bit like paying above the odds for a pipe that smokes no better than a less expensive one just because you get a kick from the way it looks or who made it...
    There may be pleasure. Who could deny that? Unless I could hack into your brain and find out from what you derive pleasure, I could not make that call. I won't deny it's an interesting pipe (although more of a sculpture than a pipe IMO) but some get pleasure from art. I do not. ...but nonetheless all I said was 'smokes no better' but more on that in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    I find this hard to believe, but if you have evidence to the contrary (not assumptions!), I'd love to hear it.
    Here's my 'evidence' from my own perspective. This is fact in regards to me but I'd bet a lot of it will resonate with everyone here.

If I somehow came into possession of that pipe I would not smoke it. Ever. Would you? It's far too expensive a piece to ever be stoked up with smouldering, shredded leaves. To touch a match to that thing would immediately depreciate it by at least half its value. That's like flushing 10 grand right down the toilet and no smoking experience is worth 10 grand IM (not so) HO. However, on the other end of the argument, it is far too unique a 'pipe' to ever get rid of. So therefore I would squirrel it away in its velvet lined case in a corner of my house someplace and it would just be another thing to protect, polish, insure and worry about loosing. Thus it would become a burden to me. I would smoke my $4.00 cob and enjoy VaPers, Aros and English Blends and I would occasionally look at my $20,000 'pipe'. And worry about it. So from my perspective, I am far better off without things like that. I don't even want it.

So in conclusion:
    $4.00 cob: smokes just fine - all the time
    $20,000 sculptured, briar, roots and branches pipe: never smokes at all

See what I'm saying?

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Dude, chill!

You said you like meat ya killed yerself. Robert responded by saying that yer pleasure in that added value... taking that meat beyond simply calories and survival. You respond with some weird "hack open yer brain" stuff.

This all started when you stated the Bo Nordh smoked no better than a 4$ cob. That's ridiculous. If ya drop down the intensity a few notches, you will see it for yerself.

Smoke a bowl... smoke another... take a walk, and I suspect you will see all this differently. Relax, Bro. These are great guys here, but no-one agrees with anyone all the time. Chill.

...To touch a match to that thing would immediately depreciate it by at least half its value. That's like flushing 10 grand right down the toilet and no smoking experience is worth 10 grand IM (not so) HO.
    To you and, granted, many others.

But by this measure there would also be no luxury cars on the road. At best, they would all be in garages, quietly rusting away. Series 7 BMWs lose over 40% of their value in the first year. In the UK they cost about $100K. You could buy two Bo Nordh pipes and toss them away after one smoke apiece for the depreciated value. I'm not saying we're overrun with these cars, but you do see them and they are definitely used. No driving experience is worth that? Plenty think it is.

Because someone personally can't afford or feel they could ever justify an expense doesn't mean that the right person wouldn't think it perfectly fine. And it doesn't mean that just because both can make it from London to Edinburgh that the BMW isn't intinsically a better car than the Citroen. It is - palpably and undeniably.

Why not smoke the cheapest tobacco you can find? They all have nicotine in them. I understand that Mixture 79 is quite inexpensive. If you smoke anything else, the principle of quality mattering is established and everything else is just dickering over a budget.

(I apologise to any lovers of M79. Just using it - perhaps unfairly - for the purpose of reductio ad absurdum.)

If I had the right funds - and it doesn't need to be unlimited, just "plenty" - you'd see me riding a Brough Superior SS100. So much less practical than a Honda and the Brough doesn't offer anything that the Honda can't. Yeah, right...
    Last edited by steinr1; 08-21-2013 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El wedo del milagro View Post
    Dude, chill!

Smoke a bowl... smoke another...
    Great advice. Always.

I'm having a couple of bowls of Germain's Royal Jersey Perique in a clay I bought for less than $10. It's actually appreciated in value over the last 100 years despite my smoking it .

Someone hit this wise man with some RG.
    Apparently he's earned enough from me for the time being.

(BTW - I almost always write in the abstract rather than with a target in mind. I enjoy the chase...)
    Last edited by steinr1; 08-21-2013 at 01:15 PM.

Dude, chill!

You said you like meat ya killed yerself. Robert responded by saying that yer pleasure in that added value... taking that meat beyond simply calories and survival. You respond with some weird "hack open yer brain" stuff.

This all started when you stated the Bo Nordh smoked no better than a 4$ cob. That's ridiculous. If ya drop down the intensity a few notches, you will see it for yerself.

Smoke a bowl... smoke another... take a walk, and I suspect you will see all this differently. Relax, Bro. These are great guys here, but no-one agrees with anyone all the time. Chill.
    I'm just making conversation. I really don't care about any of this all that much - I already am chilled.

"Hack into your brain" aka 'computer hacker' not 'axe murderer'

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

I'm just making conversation. I really don't care about any of this all that much - I already am chilled.
    Awesome!

Like you, I enjoy eating game I killed myself. I constantly fish, regularly hunt bird (for Robert: Ohh, Err...) and every couple years I try for an elk with an old beast of an 84 cal smooth bore musket.

Unlike you I like "art". I better, I used to be a jeweler. That ole .84 cal musket? Yep, it was UGLY when I got it. I've since inlayed it with turquoise and silver. It's too fricken cool now!

I'm willing to bet you like "art" too. We don't need to use the term "art". Aesthetics is simply how pretty, or ugly something is. You care about this. I KNOW you do. If ya don't I bet yer buddies give ya a lot of crap about the women ya fancy... (hehe)

I'm willing to bet you like "art" too. We don't need to use the term "art". Aesthetics is simply how pretty, or ugly something is. You care about this. I KNOW you do. If ya don't I bet yer buddies give ya a lot of crap about the women ya fancy... (hehe)
    I'm not big on aesthetics. That's not to say I want the stuff I have to look like crap, but it sure doesn't need to be fancy. I am big on function though. My hunting rifle is just plain black from one end to the other with no special inlay, carvings or bling. However it sits in a fully bedded stock and is capable of less than 3/8 MOA with benchrest prep ammo. I know this for a fact because I've shot 5/8" groups at 200 yds many times. If it was all decked out with silver and gold I'd probably squirrel it away and never shoot it again for fear of scratching it.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Hehe... women are a different story... but I don't like them all decked out with silver and gold either... Too high maintenance!

Having just broke my beloved Irish Seconds pipe, which I maybe paid $20 for, I don't trust myself with anything greater. Superior smoking experiences will have to elude me until I have a mattress lined smoking room.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast