Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Mason Jar Storage

This is a discussion on Mason Jar Storage within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I recently moved and acquired a new cabinet to keep my pipe tobaccos and pipes in. While I was transferring ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Mason Jar Storage

I recently moved and acquired a new cabinet to keep my pipe tobaccos and pipes in. While I was transferring the jars from box to cabinet I noticed that on many of my tobaccos stored in mason jars the lids which were sucked in had now popped up. I opened on to see what the damage was, but the seal seemed great and once I took the lid off the tobacco was in perfect condition. My question is does it matter if the dimple on the lid sucks down or not? I thought it did, but it doesn't seem to make a difference to me.

Thanks
    Mike

Wizard of the puff shire Gandalf The Gray's Avatar

Re: Mason Jar Storage

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiMikePA View Post
    I recently moved and acquired a new cabinet to keep my pipe tobaccos and pipes in. While I was transferring the jars from box to cabinet I noticed that on many of my tobaccos stored in mason jars the lids which were sucked in had now popped up. I opened on to see what the damage was, but the seal seemed great and once I took the lid off the tobacco was in perfect condition. My question is does it matter if the dimple on the lid sucks down or not? I thought it did, but it doesn't seem to make a difference to me.

Thanks
    Mike

I really do not think it effects the baccy Mike. I have noticed that when I moved a while back, some I had been into recently had been sucked down, I am assuming this was from the heat when moving. But I know this also happens over long term storage, due to the tobacco giving off......I can't remember what it is called, gasses or fermenting gases. Something like that. I'm sure if you leave them for a while they will suck back in.

I didn't think it mattered. I took the screw part of the lid off on a few and they all seemed to still have a real good seal on the lid.

Ruler Of The Galaxy Emperor Zurg's Avatar

If you cap them up when it's warm and then it gets cooler the lid will pop down.
    Once the temp warms back up, the lid will pop back up.
    None of this matters a bit. The only time it does matter is when processing food; the indented lid indicates the original seal is intact and hasn't been broken. Therefore the contents are still (assumably) sterile.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Zeabed's Avatar

I think it's the same type of expansion that makes the C&D tubs and McClelland tubbies that have been several years in my cellar swell up noticeably.
    I sure like those French fried taters. Mmm jhmm.

Got ya, thanks guys for all the info. Didn't think it was an issue, but I didn't want to open these tins 5 years from now to find the tobacco no good either!

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiMikePA View Post
    Got ya, thanks guys for all the info. Didn't think it was an issue, but I didn't want to open these tins 5 years from now to find the tobacco no good either!
    Tell ya what, you cap those tins up, store them in a cool, dark place and in 5 years send to me and I'll smoke them for you... just to make sure they are still good you know...

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Zurg View Post
    Tell ya what, you cap those tins up, store them in a cool, dark place and in 5 years send to me and I'll smoke them for you... just to make sure they are still good you know...
    Hahaha, I smoke the crappy stuff you don't want what I got! Just see my cellar! I'm dying to get about 4-5 yrs of age on some of this Stoney & HV...the only prob is idk if it will make it that long! I was given a tin of HotW with about 6 1/2 yrs on it! The question now is when to pull the trigger!

Quote Originally Posted by miamimikepa View Post
    I was given a tin of hotw with about 6 1/2 yrs on it! The question now is when to pull the trigger!
    SHOOT 'IM NOW!! SHOOT 'IM NOW!!! :d

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Zurg View Post
    SHOOT 'IM NOW!! SHOOT 'IM NOW!!! :d
    LOL

Got some GLP Westminister with 6 1/2 yrs on it too, but the rest of my stuff is relatively young.
    Last edited by MiamiMikePA; 08-19-2013 at 07:09 PM.

I got a sample of 50 year old PA from a fellow BOTL here. All I can say is....

I remember when,I think it was, Dan was passing out samples. To my recollection the consensus was that it really hadn't changed much if at all is that correct Chris? I'd be very interested to hear your take on it.