Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Finally...A Pipe Cabinet to Go Along w/ The Cabinet Humi!!!

This is a discussion on Finally...A Pipe Cabinet to Go Along w/ The Cabinet Humi!!! within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; About 5-6 years ago I was at the peak of my cigar smoking. I had just left my gig as ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

Finally...A Pipe Cabinet to Go Along w/ The Cabinet Humi!!!

About 5-6 years ago I was at the peak of my cigar smoking. I had just left my gig as a premium cigar sale rep and was really starting to buy up cigars. Also, this was the about the time I was turned on to CC and really started taking a liking to them. I was in the market for a cabinet humidor, but everything I really wanted was just soooooo expensive and the affordable cabinets IMO just were not very good. So, I decided to wait until I could afford exactly what I wanted. A former customer of mine gave me a call and said he had 3 cabinet humidors for sale, cheap, and that I should come look at them. After dragging my feet for about a week I finally went and thank god I did. 2 of the 3 were already sold and the price was so unbelievable I purchased it right then and there. Not sure if I've posted pics of my humi before, but in case I didn't here it is. Yes, I know it's empty, I just moved and am in the process of seasoning it. Should be filled this week!!!

Naturally, once I got into pipe smoking I wanted something cool to keep my pipes & tobacco in. I look at 2 Cousins pipes rack, which are amazing, but realized to get the size I wanted would probably be pretty costly. I knew I would prob never own more than 10 pipes or so, but would need a considerable amount of space for tobacco storage eventually. Well, as luck would have it, an Uncle of mine recently retired and moved to Florida leaving a storage shed filled with items he didn't take when he moved. He was always in to restoring old family members' furniture instead of going out and buying everything new. So after getting the green light to help myself to anything I wanted in his storage shed I came across this beauty!

I had no clue what the heck I was going to do with it, but when I saw it I thought it was too nice to just let go. The other day it hit me that it would be a perfect cabinet for my pipes & tobacco. So I started filling it up. The top middle drawer I have filled with my pipes and accessories. The next drawer has all of my open tobacco, while the door on the right side has all of my cellared tobacco. The great thing about this is it's so big it will be years until I outgrow it and in reality I probably never will. 2 of the middle drawers are completely empty as is the big bottom drawer and door on the right.

The benefits of being a bachelor! Cigar & Pipe cabinets in the middle of the living room? No problem...who is going to say no!? lol Fly tying table next perhaps!!! Hope you guys enjoyed the pics.

Mike

My cat's Chief of Staff El wedo del milagro's Avatar

Re: Finally...A Pipe Cabinet to Go Along w/ The Cabinet Humi!!!

Sweet. Both are nice, but that Humi is off the hook!

Married men have it good too, as long as they pick the right one. My wife has a nice tall glass fronted corner cabinet she let me take over to display my pipes and tobaccos in the front room.

Thanks Mark! Haha I know, I'm just busting chops!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Er999's Avatar

Really nice setup. Since I don't smoke cigars, I'm probably going to save more money that likely would go into a pipe cabinet sort of thing... I don't know I'm still young!

Puffer Fish with many spikes x6ftundx's Avatar

Nice

Please do NOT refinish it! Or even clean up the finish much, because it might actually be worth something. Looks old. They don't build anything that solid anymore, plus I think there's quarter cut board from a rather large tree on the front, but I'm no expert. Might want to poke around some more in there, possibly locating a cherry Tiffany lamp or an ugly old vase worth thousands.

I am envious! What a great piece of furniture!
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Thanks Jim! My uncle is actually in town this week and I found out this piece of furniture he actually didn't touch at all! I have a china closet and dresser that I knew he restored and I just assumed he did this one as well, but he didn't. It is very old it was my great grandmothers.

It's in great condition too! Only real issue is that the one knob on a drawer keeps falling off. Seems like it could easily be fixed with a little larger screw.

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiMikePA View Post
    It's in great condition too! Only real issue is that the one knob on a drawer keeps falling off. Seems like it could easily be fixed with a little larger screw.
    Don't throw away the old screw, either. I'm an Antiques Roadshow watcher, and this sort of thing can be worth thousands of bucks, and they're sticklers about everything original. I can hear it now, "I see there's a repair on the knob, with a new screw. It's worth between $5000 and $10000 dollars as is, but if you happen to have that screw, it could go as high as $20000."

Puffer Fish with some spikes BrSpiritus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MiamiMikePA View Post
    So after getting the green light to help myself to anything I wanted in his storage shed I came across this beauty!

Tiger Oak veneer sideboard in the Arts & Crafts/Prairie Style. From the wood knobs I'd say it was from the 1905 Sears Catalog when Arts & Crafts was at it's height.

Wow, pretty cool. I know nothing about this stuff. Just saw it in my uncle's shed and thought it looked cool. Didn't have any idea what I'd even use it for, but turns out it's a great pipe/tobacco cabinet! Lol

Full grown Puffer Fish Thirston's Avatar

Both are really great. I'd like to a pic of the cigar humi fully packed. A beautiful thing. Enjoy.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish bigdaddychester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miamimikepa View Post
    the great thing about this is it's so big it will be years until i outgrow it and in reality i probably never will. 2 of the middle drawers are completely empty as is the big bottom drawer and door on the right.
    Something about empty drawers and the need to fill them will cause the "years" to quickly dwindle away to only a few months. It's a sweet piece of furniture though.

Quote Originally Posted by BrSpiritus View Post
    Tiger Oak veneer sideboard in the Arts & Crafts/Prairie Style. From the wood knobs I'd say it was from the 1905 Sears Catalog when Arts & Crafts was at it's height.
    For some reason, this reminds of an Antiques Road show, where a guy brought in a plain ol' table chair. He had pulled over to the side of the road at a garage sale ON HIS WAY TO THE SHOW, and bought this chair so he'd have something to ask them about. Was worth, if I recall, $30000. So I guess the question is, Mike, if it's worth $100000, will you feel guilty taking it?

Hahaha, not at all Jim!!! I barely knew my great grandmother! lol