Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 20 of 20

My problem with aromatics

This is a discussion on My problem with aromatics within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by steinr1 Smoke a blend made with better base tobaccos. I second this. I never liked aromatics much ...

  
  1. #16

    Puffer Fish with some spikes BrSpiritus's Avatar


     

    Re: My problem with aromatics

    Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Smoke a blend made with better base tobaccos.
    I second this. I never liked aromatics much until I started smoking the ones with really good base tobaccos. The aromatic quality will dissipate through the bowl so you want a good tobacco finish. Another thing to remember is aromatics are more about smell than actual taste, so it never hurts to slowly exhale through your nose to get a sense of the flavor of what you are smoking.

    Commonsenseman I like your list my answer to each in turn is:

    yes,
    want to try,
    hell yes!,
    want to try,
    ok but not a boat floater for me,
    good,
    want to try
    need to get more blockade runner,
    and finally I've spent so much time on SG tobacco I've yet to get to try the G&H offerings, soon though...

  2. #17

    Heavy Puffer commonsenseman's Avatar


     

    Re: My problem with aromatics

    Quote Originally Posted by BrSpiritus View Post
    I second this. I never liked aromatics much until I started smoking the ones with really good base tobaccos. The aromatic quality will dissipate through the bowl so you want a good tobacco finish. Another thing to remember is aromatics are more about smell than actual taste, so it never hurts to slowly exhale through your nose to get a sense of the flavor of what you are smoking.

    Commonsenseman I like your list my answer to each in turn is:

    yes,
    want to try,
    hell yes!,
    want to try,
    ok but not a boat floater for me,
    good,
    want to try
    need to get more blockade runner,
    and finally I've spent so much time on SG tobacco I've yet to get to try the G&H offerings, soon though...
    If you don't mind a little "soap" in your tobacco, G&H is great. They use very high quality base tobaccos & even if you don't like a particular flavor, at least it will have flavor.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

  3. #18

    Puffer Fish with some spikes BrSpiritus's Avatar


     

    Re: My problem with aromatics

    Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    If you don't mind a little "soap" in your tobacco, G&H is great. They use very high quality base tobaccos & even if you don't like a particular flavor, at least it will have flavor.
    It's fine because I never had the palate necessary to discern what everyone calls the "Lakeland Floral or Soap" taste. I once heard Grousemoor was the epitome of that soap taste and when I tried it I really liked it, especially in a Meer where the flavors can really come through. But then I was also the weird one that when my friends snuffed methol or fruity snuffs I was snuffing Hedges Wallflower so maybe I like the floral stuff.

  4. #19

    Snuff-hound steinr1's Avatar


     

    Re: My problem with aromatics

    "Lakeland Essence" is floral and there is a creamy nature to the smoke in some Lakelands. Some soaps are also floral. I've smoked a lot of Lakeland tobacco and never experienced one that I would describe as soapy nor heard one described as such by a "native".

    You guys in the US must have some very peculiar soap.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

  5. #20

    Heavy Puffer commonsenseman's Avatar


     

    Re: My problem with aromatics

    Quote Originally Posted by BrSpiritus View Post
    It's fine because I never had the palate necessary to discern what everyone calls the "Lakeland Floral or Soap" taste. I once heard Grousemoor was the epitome of that soap taste and when I tried it I really liked it, especially in a Meer where the flavors can really come through. But then I was also the weird one that when my friends snuffed methol or fruity snuffs I was snuffing Hedges Wallflower so maybe I like the floral stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    "Lakeland Essence" is floral and there is a creamy nature to the smoke in some Lakelands. Some soaps are also floral. I've smoked a lot of Lakeland tobacco and never experienced one that I would describe as soapy nor heard one described as such by a "native".

    You guys in the US must have some very peculiar soap.
    I think floral is a much more accurate description on what makes G&H unique. I guess I've just heard it described as soapy so many times, it stuck with me. I personally really like "Lakeland Essence", especially in G&H's tobaccos. In particular the Dark Flakes, Ropes, Dark Birdseye & Louisiana Flake. Not all of them are classified as "aromatics", but they all have a little something added.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •